money
RSS Facebook

RCMF

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 15:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flair Fokker Dr1 online build (Lola)  (Read 6139 times)

Offline Hairyflier

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 7
  • Golden Age
Flair Fokker Dr1 online build (Lola)
« on: March 28, 2006, 11:40:32 AM »

Here she is (or will be)

This is my first attempt at this - so please be patient - I'm still feeling my way around the gallery feature.

This kit is little more than a giant 3D jigsaw puzzle, you start by gluing part A1 to A2 and keep going for a few months until you run out of bits in the box, you should then have something resembling a Fokker Dr1.
There are many diversions from true scale, the most glaring in my opinion being the lack of a cut - out in the centre wing for downward visibility. I hope to rectify this on my one.
As I am building a replica of a replica, Ernst Kessler's 'Lola' from the film The Great Waldo Pepper the scale detail is compromised anyway, I do however refuse to duplicate the straight trailing edges on the film version!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 11:46:03 AM by Hairyflier »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
Re: Flair Fokker Dr1 online build (Lola)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 11:52:15 AM »
Stage 1 complete - Blackpool tower!

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 11:55:28 AM »
This is as far as I have got - Fuselage and tailfeathers framed up plus top wing complete ( less Ailerons)
Do I really have to paint that nice shiny cowl?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 18:23:18 PM by Hairyflier »

Offline wotrob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • RCMF Air Commodore
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Going down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Again!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »
Hi,

I agree about the cut-outs. Thats why I cut out mine on my Baronette. Take a look at this thread from last year; http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php?topic=14277.0

That'll describe what I did. I will watch your with interest as one day I may do the bigger tripe too.

Good luck,
Rob.

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 12:35:12 PM »
Cheers Rob, this forum really is a great place to gather info.
Anyone out there good at deciphering German?  The elevators bear the legend 'Du Doch Nicht II' which one of the London boys tells me roughly translates 'Come on John if you think you'r 'ard enough!' They pinched that off Ernst Udet's steed, I believe. What though is the writing on the fuselage side? Obviously weights/limits but I can't quite make out the wording.

Offline stukno

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
  • Liked: 80
  • You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 14:17:20 PM »
Look forward to following your build, this is a model that always been lurking on my 'must build' list.

Just been reading your Baronette thread. I built one some fair while ago, (also in the Lola! colours), It was so prone to cartwheeling on landing, which was not a problem in itself if it hadn't been for the fact that if a wing tip got a smack, it didn't just break one wing, it breaks all three!   :'(  :'(  :'(

Part of the problem ( I thought) was the design with a very solid centre section and an abrupt change to a flexible and lightly built outer wing.  I did two or three sessions of key hole surgury, until it came to the time when the covering would have to be stripped off for proper repair. Afraid that I couldn't bear the thought of ripping off all of those lovely checkers, so it was confined to the loft and remains there to this day!  :-\

Di you think that this (bigger) version will be better?

I see that you have been watching Waldo, frame by frame!  I did just the same (no WWW at that time), Can't remember what I put on the elevators, theres only a split second where the text is on view in the film, I think that I sent my son off to his german teacher with a note and he sent back something appropriate. 'No can you see me' from best recollection.

I have a pic somewhere, I find it and break out the scanner.

Good luck with your build
Stu k

Offline rcfanuk

• Senior Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 58
  • Liked: 26
  • No, the other up !!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 14:28:16 PM »
The writing is the weights

And reads:

Leergewicht...........406kg                      means unladen weight
Nutzlast................180kg                      means payload
Gesammt  gewicht   586kg                      Total weight

Hope this helps
Steve
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 15:50:27 PM by rcfanuk »
Global Moderator
Dawn Patrol UK

Offline johnyh

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • Work spoils my flying
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 15:24:57 PM »
Brings back memories.
Have you tried the plumb line test with the fuse?

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 21:42:48 PM »

I see that you have been watching Waldo, frame by frame!  I did just the same (no WWW at that time), Can't remember what I put on the elevators, theres only a split second where the text is on view in the film, I think that I sent my son off to his german teacher with a note and he sent back something appropriate. 'No can you see me' from best recollection.

I have a pic somewhere, I find it and break out the scanner.

Good luck with your build
Stu k

I would like to see a picture. Here is the wording on the elevators.

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 21:48:44 PM »
Steve,
Many thanks for the drawing showing the markings on the Fuselage, is it from a publication? If so I would love to get my hands on a copy!
Rod

Offline rcfanuk

• Senior Administrator
  • Thank You
  • No, the other up !!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 22:06:17 PM »
Steve,
Many thanks for the drawing showing the markings on the Fuselage, is it from a publication? If so I would love to get my hands on a copy!
Rod

It's from the Windsock Datafile Special - Fokker Dr1,  ISBN 0 948414 36 7

Steve
Global Moderator
Dawn Patrol UK

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 22:10:48 PM »
'Du Doch Nicht II'

Translates as "you nevertheless not II "  which I am sure you will agree is total nonsense . The picture above puts the last last word as nichf not nicht and I can find no translation for that one from german.
I think its a film spoof that probably means more to the cast and crew than us mere mortals , I may be wrong as I,m not a fluent linguist but................ :P

Yes, that is the first literal translation I came across also. However, I subsequently came across 'You are not to kill nevertheless', which is probably as close as I am going to get.

Offline idigbo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 99
  • -Receive: 54
  • Liked: 376
  • Proudly wasting balsa since 1982
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 22:14:27 PM »
Watching this with interest. I have had a couple of these, one from Mr C which he will no doubt point out, so I'll get in first!!

I agree with the others about the middle wing cut outs, really is a glaring ommision and one that should be incorporated I reckon. Another 'non scality' is the nose length, both of mine had Zenoah 23 / 22 motors, and balanced without ballast or care with the mounting of the gear. If I did another, I would shorten the nose and make every effort to get the gear up front.

The third bit which really helps both the looks and the landings is a bungee sprung u/c.

The Dr1 is a top heavy little b*gger which, once mastered in a nice creature to play with, but it is a bit of an animal in strongish crosswinds.

Ian.

Great fun to fly and loverly to look at, what motor are you fitting?

THIS MAN KNOWS NOTHING AND SHOULD NOT BE LISTENED TO OR TRUSTED!!   -  Forum admin.

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 22:18:39 PM »
Watching this with interest. I have had a couple of these, one from Mr C which he will no doubt point out, so I'll get in first!!

I agree with the others about the middle wing cut outs, really is a glaring ommision and one that should be incorporated I reckon. Another 'non scality' is the nose length, both of mine had Zenoah 23 / 22 motors, and balanced without ballast or care with the mounting of the gear. If I did another, I would shorten the nose and make every effort to get the gear up front.

The third bit which really helps both the looks and the landings is a bungee sprung u/c.

The Dr1 is a top heavy little b*gger which, once mastered in a nice creature to play with, but it is a bit of an animal in strongish crosswinds.

Ian.

Great fun to fly and loverly to look at, what motor are you fitting?

Yes, I imagine it is a handful in crosswinds, to be avoided like the plague I am told. I am fitting an OS 120FSE, should be nice and scale like with a large fine pitch prop. Would like to get hold of a laminated wood one, at least for show.

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 22:30:03 PM »
I recon the poor little thing will look lost in that cavernous cowl!

Offline idigbo

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 22:39:03 PM »
It'll go great, sound great too, unlike the Z22 I had in mine!!
THIS MAN KNOWS NOTHING AND SHOULD NOT BE LISTENED TO OR TRUSTED!!   -  Forum admin.

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 07:20:21 AM »
Finally the mystery is solved - after trawling the net I found this quote on Ernst Udet.

He usually flew a Fokker D.VII, with his girlfriend's name, "Lo," painted on the fuselage, and on the tail, the words "Du doch nicht!!" Literally translated as "Not you," but more idiomatically as "You and who else?"

I still prefer the cockney translation. :af

Offline rcfanuk

• Senior Administrator
  • Thank You
  • No, the other up !!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 11:03:23 AM »
This is Udet's DR1, nice scheme

Steve
Global Moderator
Dawn Patrol UK

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 11:46:57 AM »
That's one smart aeroplane - I wonder, has anyone tried lowering the thrust line to the scale position?
Still searching for that laminated propellor.

Offline Cliff

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • I"m Yer Man!!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 12:34:32 PM »
  Hi Hairy,
    I would build the thrust as per instructions....would probably throw her out of trim.....I would tend to add a few details to the model....concentrate on a good realistic finish...with the stencilling etc....would look well..
      ..also, I think Phil suggested the addition of the wing skids, there are lots of little bits you could do....like even the wheel attatchment....ie...by using brass tube over the axels...and having split-pins to retain the wheels...if you need a pic....just ask.....I think the DRI also has a bit of rigging in the fuse cabanes..??...this would lok well too.....and...a lot of German planes had long gun-sights added....as well as flare guns mounted to their sides...especially the like of Udet..who"d have been using them to give instructions to his fellows...
  love Udet"s scheme to...different!!

Cliff  :)  looking forward to your progress.. :af
scale flyers do it properly

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 13:06:04 PM »
I agree, Cliff, Udets' colour scheme is very tempting although I have wanted to build the Kestler one for many years. The problem I have is that Lola was itself a replica with deviations from the original, the most obvious being the straight trailling edges which I simply could not live with! The other hurdle I had to overcome was the Spandau's, with Williams temporarily unavailable (I have a pair on back order in the States) the best I could find were the Arizona models ones. These are constructed from ply and card, the ply is laser cut but not very well, I have yet to put them together.
Lots to think about with this one, I thought it would be a fairly quick, straightforward build, but the further I get into it the more chalenging it becomes! What a welcome relief from ARTF's though. :af

Offline Walts

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 3
  • Better to try & fail than not to even try at all
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 22:23:22 PM »
Hi Hairy
         I had the same problem sourcing Williams bros. guns for my Camel since flair had stopped dealing with them or visversa. I contacted Williams direct by e-mail and received a reply from a very helpful guy there,  He said that they had only just started talking to a new UK supplier so it would be a while before their products would be back in the shops over here, He said he was more than happy for me to buy direct from Williams. So i ordered 1 Vickers gun (i already had one) 2 pilots and a full LeRohne engine kit, and including the shipping it was still a dam sight cheaper than the UK shop price would have been. The guy even took the time to e-mail me to query my choice of engine, as he didn't want to send me the wrong item! Very impressive company to deal with :af

Cheers Walts

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 10:47:40 AM »
Hi Hairy
         I had the same problem sourcing Williams bros. guns for my Camel since flair had stopped dealing with them or visversa. I contacted Williams direct by e-mail and received a reply from a very helpful guy there,  He said that they had only just started talking to a new UK supplier so it would be a while before their products would be back in the shops over here, He said he was more than happy for me to buy direct from Williams. So i ordered 1 Vickers gun (i already had one) 2 pilots and a full LeRohne engine kit, and including the shipping it was still a dam sight cheaper than the UK shop price would have been. The guy even took the time to e-mail me to query my choice of engine, as he didn't want to send me the wrong item! Very impressive company to deal with :af

Cheers Walts
Thanks Walts, I have a pair on order with Sig as in the past I have had good service from them as they source goods from their vast dealer network. However in this instance they have yet to come up with the goods so maybe in hindsight I should have gone to Williams direct. I am not surprised you received good service from Williams, most suppliers Stateside are excellent to deal with and you are right it does save you money! With todays Global market goods from any part of the world are just a mouse click away, as I sit typing this in my 17th century cottage I wonder what the original owners would make of it all!

Rod

Offline Walts

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 3
  • Better to try & fail than not to even try at all
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 19:25:08 PM »
Hi hairy
       I had heard that both Flair and Williams had gone into liquidation, but both companies had since readmerged. Could be that Williams are looking at a new states agent as well, hence your supplier having trouble sourcing the parts. Just an idea. Mind you the last time i looked at the Williams site i noticed all their prices had gone up! Got mine just in time  :ev
I'll be following your build with interest, right up to the maiden :af. Hopefully as the weather seems to be improving a bit i might be able to maiden my Camel soon, then i can dig up my old thread :D

Cheers Walts

Offline Klaus S.

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
  • Fokker - what else
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 22:32:45 PM »
Hello Rod,

you have problems with the middlewing ?
This is a picture of my second Flair DR I.
I cut out the Middlewing.If you want, I can make
tomorrow some detailed pictures.

Look at my Homepage and you will see the Maidenflight
of DR I Josef Jacobs

www.stkl-online.de

sorry for my bad English

kind regards
Klaus
...always the sun in my back

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 09:51:58 AM »
Hello Rod,

you have problems with the middlewing ?
This is a picture of my second Flair DR I.
I cut out the Middlewing.If you want, I can make
tomorrow some detailed pictures.

Look at my Homepage and you will see the Maidenflight
of DR I Josef Jacobs

www.stkl-online.deThank you for your interest, some pictures would be good. Please do not apologise for your bad English, it is far better than my German! Thats a fine looking model, did you scratch build or was it from a kit?

Rod

sorry for my bad English

kind regards

Offline Klaus S.

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
  • Fokker - what else
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 10:10:13 AM »
It's from Flair Wingspan 186 cm.

Laser 200 v
Klaus

Offline Klaus S.

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
  • Fokker - what else
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 15:30:29 PM »
Hello,

here some picturs from the middlewing and Fuselage

I hope this will help you

kind regards
Klaus

Offline fokker

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
  • Liked: 85
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006, 19:06:59 PM »
looking good ive been flying mine 3 years now and love it

a photo of mine for a bit of inspiration

[img]http://www.rcmf.co.uk/RCMFLive/albums/userpics/11525/tplane1_%28Small%29.jpg
/img]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 19:21:32 PM by Big Geoff »

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2006, 19:59:02 PM »
Thanks Klaus, I like the way you have done the centre wing, are those guns the Arizona Models ones?

Big Geoff - Like the model - but only one gun?

Rod

Offline Klaus S.

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
  • Fokker - what else
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2006, 20:14:33 PM »
no,
from Williams - but i also have two from Arizona Models.
My next Project is an 1:6 Albatros D II from Arizona Models
and these are includes to the Kit.
Klaus

Offline Klaus S.

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
  • Fokker - what else
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006, 20:20:57 PM »
looking good ive been flying mine 3 years now and love it

a photo of mine for a bit of inspiration

[/url]

Kind regards

Klaus
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 20:26:31 PM by nicostoffi »
Klaus

Offline Klaus S.

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
  • Fokker - what else
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2006, 20:22:27 PM »
Sorry the first one was wrong.

Hi Geoff,
looks very great your Lothar v. Richthofen DR I

Here is the one from his brother.
I've build this also from a Flair kit and The Model flies
first with an OS 120 Surpass, now Laser 150.

It's now 11 years old

kind regards

Klaus

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 20:31:13 PM by nicostoffi »
Klaus

Offline fokker

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
  • Liked: 85
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2006, 20:24:11 PM »
Thanks Klaus, I like the way you have done the centre wing, are those guns the Arizona Models ones?

Big Geoff - Like the model - but only one gun?

Rod

there is 2 guns must be the angle the pic is taken from

« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 20:43:21 PM by Big Geoff »

Offline idigbo

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2006, 21:11:24 PM »
Hairy, you could lower the thrust line without a problem, though you would need the bigger diameter scale cowl size. The Glen Torrence one is right, but then you get into the heartache of altering the fuselage sides to match the cowl, loads of messing about which no-one, apart from you will appreciate :af :af

On the subject of laminated props, you Sir need one of these!!

It was made as a static prop with a view to, 'it might work'

Size is 24" x4" and the Zenoah 26 was tuned to turn it at about 6000 (if I remember right)

Ian.

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2006, 21:52:31 PM »
Ian, that's just the kind of prop I had in mind only somewhat less dia. for the O.S.
Think I'll pass on the thrustline mod tho' - centre wing is causing enough grief!
Good to see from the efforts of others that it will be all worth while though. :af

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2006, 08:32:51 AM »
Update - Been away in Corfu - progress has ground to a halt but just had an email from Sig to say my Williams Guns are on their way so I now have a choice. Maybe their arrival will spur me on to do some more building, would be nice to have it finshed for the October fly-in :co

Offline steamysheep

• YAY!
  • RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 71
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 20:22:00 PM »
Did it get finished?
LOOK IF I AM EVER ON A LIFE SUPPORT MACHINE...... UNPLUG ME.....THEN PLUG ME BACK IN.........  SEE IF THAT WORKS....

Offline Hairyflier

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • Golden Age
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2007, 21:03:54 PM »
Did it get finished?
To my shame it is languishing on the top shelf in my shed ... so many projects! I do hope to get to grips with it this winter, I really would like to see it in the air. Just two more wings to go and then the real work can start. I have everything I need to finish it except time. :'(

Offline steamysheep

• YAY!
  • RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 71
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 18:28:20 PM »
Old Warden HF?  :o
LOOK IF I AM EVER ON A LIFE SUPPORT MACHINE...... UNPLUG ME.....THEN PLUG ME BACK IN.........  SEE IF THAT WORKS....

RCMF Team

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 15:40:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2012
Page created in 2.14 seconds with 73 queries.