RSS Facebook

RCMF

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 23:17:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3W or ZDZ inline twin  (Read 1790 times)

Offline G4ry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • RCMF Flight Lieutenant
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
3W or ZDZ inline twin
« on: June 06, 2009, 18:36:38 PM »
Hi All

In a week or so i am about to start building a 1/4 scale Spitfire. I want to install an inline twin, either the 3W 110cc or the ZDZ 100r2.  I would like to get your opinion on either of these engines good or bad. Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers all
Take it easy
Gary
How Now The Brown Cow !

Offline G4ry

• RCMF Flight Lieutenant
  • Thank You
Re: 3W or ZDZ inline twin
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 19:46:47 PM »

Anyone  $%&

How Now The Brown Cow !

Offline dragoonpvw

• RCMF Pilot Officer
  • Thank You
  • I'm a newbie until I've edited my personal profile!
Re: 3W or ZDZ inline twin
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 21:48:28 PM »
I never saw this post, so sorry for taking so long. Cooling a rear cylinder in a narrow nosed plane is notoriously difficult. I have a 1/4 3w mustang with an inline 3w150. I have tried everything possible to keep it cool to little avail. I have used ducted fan extraction and correct ducting. The best is with a big hole cut out of the bottom with the engine ducted longitudinally. I have a 1/4 Clarke industries spit that has a 105 inline and also one of his Hurricanes with the same. Every one who has one of these has cooling problems. I have a friend who flies a zdz100 but it is not an everyday flier so I wont comment on it except that "it is not an every day flier????". I will say that my mustang struggles as much due to the fact that the heads of the 150 end up being so crowded in the cowl that it adds to the cooling difficulties. Smaller engines9 even the old 120 0 did better. My plane has on board telemetry and at a competition one year on my second flight, the cooling fan system burned out due to my helper shorting the lipo power. i had to fly or forfeit so I gave it a try. Less than half way into my routine the engine was running at 384 degrees so I had to come down anyway.
  I have four inline twins and am working on the best way to power a large inline scale plane. That is I am working on a liquid cooled system. My first engine should be ready in a month or two and conversions for most engines may be available.  The cost of a liquid cooled inline will push it into the realm of a midsize radial. The weight difference will be negligible for the Mustang, Hurricane and Spit etc and scale radiator locations will be fine.
 good luck
 Paul

RCMF Team

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 23:17:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2012
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 35 queries.