RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 13, 2019, 12:12:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Some pics from Woodvale from the Saturday 7th August

Started by SWM, August 08, 2010, 20:33:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SWM

Oz - there sure was. Just to show FF fans what they missed if they were not there - here's a few -

Big Feet -

Nice pics - the wing walking bipes were featured in a model  mag recently - I didn't see them on Saturday. I think there must have been more models on the Sunday - I couldn't get back on Sunday - forgot the batts for my baby SLR too - so I only have dots in the sky type pics.

Oz and Linds -  re the Zero - it'll be flack damage - couldn't possibly be the model

LOL...
:''

Was that on the Sunday - cos when I saw you flying on the Saturday you were not doing the Ex Beatles wife impression. Oooo thats so wrong.

;D

Steve

I love all things Radio Control, so much it hurts.

ThrottleBender

I went on Sunday - great event, super flying display and the weather was good too!

One small niggle, DB sound...

on an endless repeating loop;
          "he's British you know"
          "come on children"
           "tax man"

Interspersed with the occasional loud shrieks or wandering off gabling about the solar system. $%&
It's crass and embarrassing, someone please tell him to put the mike down and back away.  :banghead:

blobbygate scandal
firefox AdBlockPlus

IDD15

A few shots from the Sunday.  Lucky shot of the Vulcan & Valiant, not great I admit but different!

Twas a nice day and I'm sure the big bang finale was the biggest bang yet!  :uk:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/116825344297667475362/OpenToAll#

Cheers

Ian
Oooops!

Cloudbusting

Firstly hello to everyone as this is my first post.

After having missed this event for two years it was good to get back to it.

I enjoyed the show as always but am I getting old or is it not quite as good as it used to be. I have been going to Woodvale on and off since the late 70's and the things I notice are that the runway has been cut short for the flying, in years gone by there used to be competitions in the morning before the public display started around 1pm, one end of the runway was for the scale competition and the other end was for aerobatics. I also remember much better trade support, both flying and trade counters, I remember the hanger (now demolished) where the likes of DPR models attended and Roy Lever shouting out to sell Profi 2000 radios, etc. I also remember the likes of Multiplex flying their latest gliders and Schluter doing the same with helicopters.

I think herein lies a problem with the current format. Not that this is a criticism of the flying display organisers - I get the impression there are people involved with the organisation of the rally as a whole that they either don't understand or don't care about the potential this show has for modelling. The reason I say that is that Woodvale is the reason I got into RC aircraft modelling, it made an impression on me from a very early age such that I am still interested in the hobby today.

I really wish some of the older elements of the show could be brought back, particularly with regard to trade involvement. I don't know the reasons why this has diminished, but given that Woodvale is not just a flying display but a family day out, it has the potential to grab the attention of visitors who could start to get involved with the hobby themselves. I think if the likes of Ripmax, MacGregor, CML, J.Perkins etc.. got involved they could promote not only their products but also the hobby to newcomers. Historically alot of them have not bothered to support Woodvale, yet with Sandown disappearing the potential for Woodvale is untapped.

Nevertheless, still an enjoyable show.

alan c

trouble is,  these days, the atract the public events are many,  that weekend, there was the gay pride march, in liverpool,  not everyones cup of tea,  but hey ho,  then in blackpool, there was the sea front airshow,       but yes, the events going downhill,   i dont know why,  i was told that scrapping the scale comp saved a LOT of money,  and while it was on, the crowdline was bearley noticable,
would the big names come up?   doubt it,  with the internet, they dont have too,    i still reckon modelors should support it,  but its up to the organisers to promote the event,    and frankly they dont seem interested,  even the web site is not finished $%&

Mole Hunter

Seems I missed a good event- I always have my leave request refused for that weekend. >:(

Does anyone remember when the model got flown from Blackpool airport to the Woodvale show with the pilots (there were two) in a full sized helicopter?

I was shown the video of that a month or two ago. Was quite a feat organising that in the days before internet and mobile phones, etc.
Formerly known as BB-Q

alan c

we had a blow to blow account of that from someone i know, John Prothero, of the blackpool club,    quite interesting,  raised quite a bit of money for charity too

Mole Hunter

Quote from: alan c on August 14, 2010, 22:40:21 pm
we had a blow to blow account of that from someone i know, John Prothero, of the blackpool club,    quite interesting,  raised quite a bit of money for charity too

Yes, in fact I watched the video in his conservatory- he did the take off and landing and the other guy did the flight. John has been a massive help to me in my quest to accomplish this model flying lark (thanks John, in case you read this) :af However, whoever converted it to dvd put a soundtrack on it that would be more befitting of a 1970's skin flick though. Hilarious. :D
Formerly known as BB-Q

Cloudbusting

Quote from: BB-Q on August 14, 2010, 21:59:13 pm
Seems I missed a good event- I always have my leave request refused for that weekend. >:(

Does anyone remember when the model got flown from Blackpool airport to the Woodvale show with the pilots (there were two) in a full sized helicopter?

I was shown the video of that a month or two ago. Was quite a feat organising that in the days before internet and mobile phones, etc.

That's going back a bit  :o

I remember seeing that, sorry I can't give you the exact year but I think late 80's. I just remember the display having to stop whilst the helicopter landed, the model didn't really get much of a mention after it landed i.e. it wasn't a feature of the show and it didn't land near to the crowd. Quite a challenge when you think about it, if you ran out of fuel it was only going to end up in the Ribble !

Is the video online anywhere ?

Mole Hunter

No, but I'll see if I can get it off him and put it on YouTube or something. I remember seeing it was blowing a gale when it came to landing it and the model got blown down the runway after landing. It was a world first and someone locally now has the model hoping it'll be worth a fortune one day! ;D
Formerly known as BB-Q

SWM

Hi Folks - sorry I vanished - infact I'm not really here at the moment, I have less tinternet time available and no late nights..or less late nights. I was passing through tonight just have a quick re read of this post. There's some crakcing pics and stuff. Hard to believe its now a fading memory and we are on the way to next years WV Rally. Blimey next it'll be Bonfire night and Christmas. This year is going so fast.

I didnt get back to post this

Woodvale 2010 7th August Nort West Warbirds - Ftr The World Models Zero

It's been up for a while - but in case anyone wants to try and spot themselves on video - thought I'd post it. Not a great video, but the soundtrack is O.K :)

I have to stick up for DB sound. I actually laugh quite loud at his endless yabbering - it's so funny at times. I'm sure he drags it out with the 'he's British you know' or one where I nearly swallowed my tongue last year - 'he's half British you know' - He's become a 'part' of WV and from the modellers point of view it may get a little predictable, but he's preaching to 85% that want to know how 'fast' or how 'high' or will it crash?

Got to fly..well I wish I was...got to go. More another time.

Steve

I love all things Radio Control, so much it hurts.