RSS Facebook

RCMF

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 14:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Binding problem with Frsky  (Read 1762 times)

Offline leckyBB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • RCMF Wing Commander
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 17
  • Here's one I rolled earlier
Binding problem with Frsky
« on: January 04, 2011, 15:53:35 PM »
I have the Frsky JR module (in an X347 Tx) with the V8FR receiver which was purchased last year. The bind process went by the book and the control setup was fine.
However, after a day or so I got the model out to go flying and on testing before leaving found that the bind had failed. I rebound it and went to the flying site where I range checked on low power in excess of 250m...great....then the desert wind sprang up so I returned home. Got it ready  for another go today and found I had to rebind it again!

I thought that, according to the instructions, binding was only necessary once unless another receiver had to be bound to the Tx.

Anyone experienced this or got any suggestions on how to fix it?
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline tomkfly

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 527
  • -Receive: 14
  • Liked: 69
  • Nothing is lost until you quit trying
  • BMFA Number: 126843
Re: Binding problem with Frsky
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 16:23:11 PM »
I would suspect a faulty module. I had a similar problem where initially one RX wouldn't bind but another two did. I sent the Rx back and no fault was found and I eventually received a refund. I went flying with one of the bound RX sand had no problems. However, when I checked it a week later it had lost its bind as also had the other one. I tried re binding them and initially they rebound but lost the bind a few mins later. After a few attempts they refused to rebind at all. I have since bound these to another Tx module and they are working fine and  I have heard of a few other modules going faulty over time.

Tom
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at often change.        www.deesidemac.co.uk
Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch

Offline leckyBB

• RCMF Wing Commander
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 16:36:27 PM »
Hells teeth! I hope it isn't a faulty module. I will not be back in the Uk until April and that is the end of my flying season here.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline FrankS

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 32
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 17:06:43 PM »
I would have thought that when you bound a Rx to the Tx all thats happening is that you are sending the GUID to the Rx, it learns it and then all should be well. It sounds like the GUID is getting corrupted in the module, can this happen?

The other issue is that the earlier hack units were not protected against a high ppm input and this eventually causes the chip to fail, so when we say it's loosing its bind is this a sign that the chip is on the way out and rebinding just re-initialises the chip for a short time? I know i've just fitted a hack module and put in a diode in the ppm signal to protect the hack module.

Offline Yoyo

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 81
  • Wahey!!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 17:21:43 PM »
Hells teeth! I hope it isn't a faulty module. I will not be back in the Uk until April and that is the end of my flying season here.

Try talking to FRSky directly about it - I use evafrsky@gmail.com to talk to them. If you explain the situation they may be willing to exchange it directly rather than having to go through your dealer.

Also, could anything be pressing on the bind button on the rx or tx?
Doing what you like is Freedom
Liking what you do is Happiness

Offline leckyBB

• RCMF Wing Commander
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 19:02:28 PM »
Thanks Guys. I bound the Tx to a different Rx (V8R7) in another model this evening. I have checked it over several hours ok but now after about 3 hours it has unbound again :'(

Edit: I think I may have found the fault. While checking the Tx setup button as recommended I noticed the red LED went off when I tpressed the module. I discovered that flexing the module in the housing caused the LED to go on and off. Bad contact on the mating plug/socket connector.
I removed the module and retensioned the pins on the internal PCB and refitted the module. Now the red LED stays on. I have rebound again and will continue to check it over the next day or so.
Had to get my engineering brain out of retirement  ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 19:25:35 PM by leckyBB »

Offline FrankS

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 32
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 22:14:27 PM »
If you look on the RC Groups FRSky thread there are some posts on there (just after page 163 I think) from somebody who had problems and it was tracked down to the pin connections on the FRSky module

Offline Yoyo

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 81
  • Wahey!!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 22:27:54 PM »
If you look on the RC Groups FRSky thread there are some posts on there (just after page 163 I think) from somebody who had problems and it was tracked down to the pin connections on the FRSky module

Yes I saw that too - looks like some modules have a different style of connector that isn't as good - designed more for fixed PCB-to-PCB connections instead of make-break connections such as tx modules.

I have to say I never trusted that system, even on the official manufacturers modules. I would never have been able to specify that when I was doing electronics engineering.

On my hacked version I've soldered wires directly to the internal PCB, but then I pick up the signals from the trainer port rather than a module slot.
Doing what you like is Freedom
Liking what you do is Happiness

Offline propeak

• RCMF Air Commodore
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 22:45:49 PM »
This connecter problem has been reported on various forums right from the introduction of frsky modules thats the main reason i decided to go the hack module route, it was supposed to have been addressed but as has been said many times it's best to fit and leave it in place. on that rcgroups thread there are pictures showing the genuine futaba socket and the frsky socket the differance is frightening.

Offline leckyBB

• RCMF Wing Commander
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 06:58:16 AM »
Hmm, I did try to search for previous posts before starting my thread but the search facility just does not work for me.
Anyway, I tried it again this morning and the bind is still good. I will keep an eye on that connector. When I pop over to the UK in April I will get a hack module and hard wire it to my X-378. I might then do a hard wire conversion to the X-347.

Thanks for you helpful comments guys....it is not so easy to get spares or repairs here in Egypt with our non-existant postal address and very dodgy postal service..

Offline leckyBB

• RCMF Wing Commander
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 18:35:10 PM »
Checked the bind again this evening and it is still good. Looks as if that has definitely solved the problem. :af

Offline jvr

• RCMF Flight Lieutenant
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 23:35:18 PM »
I had the same problem with my Frsky set & returned it to GC although no fault was found with the module it was set back to me with a new antenna..

Offline leckyBB

• RCMF Wing Commander
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 16:22:10 PM »
I flew my FreeBee on it yesterday and I am certainly impressed. It had a rock solid feel with none of the usual glitches I get here on 35Mhz. I was so confident I switched off the TX for 10 seconds to watch the model in failsafe mode...throttle closed and a gentle curving descent...nice.
Before anyone jumps on me for being irresponsible I would point out that I was 3 km out in the desert with absolutely nothing around me. ;)

Offline leckyBB

• RCMF Wing Commander
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 16:35:21 PM »
I flew my FreeBee on it yesterday and I am certainly impressed. It had a rock solid feel with none of the usual glitches I get here on 35Mhz. I was so confident I switched off the TX for 10 seconds to watch the model in failsafe mode...throttle closed and a gentle curving descent...nice.
Before anyone jumps on me for being irresponsible I would point out that I was 3 km out in the desert with absolutely nothing around me. ;)

RCMF Team

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 14:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2012
Page created in 0.446 seconds with 46 queries.