RSS Facebook

RCMF

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ADFA Models 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup Build  (Read 17057 times)

Offline smutlley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • Liked: 25
Re: ADFA Models 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup Build
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »
I also started bending the lower longerons for the fuz sides, using heet and adding weight, left over night to cool.  Hoping they are bent sufficiently for gluing when I'm back home tonight.
All was going well until I ran out of talent!!

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 23:14:30 PM »
Well done Smutlley, all looking good and coming along just nice.
Some nice informative pictures as well.
Yes I can confirm the wood is good quality and selection is great.
 CNC cutting of wood has been done to precise standards,also things have been made simple and fit, just what I wanted.

A very comprehensive hardware pack, and of good quality.
The undercarriage is a joy to look at, It has been pre shaped and silver soldered to a excellent standard.

Leading edge wood for wings, yep would have been nice if they were longer, I was told they are to manufacture stock length,
 I thought I was going to be clever and paid a visit to my stock of wood doweling I have been hoarding for a few years, yep you have guessed it, all my stock is the same in length, so cant grumble at that, just reckon as it is a large plane it would be unfair to expect all woods to be in one piece.

It does look like all other wood is in full length's. The main fuselage bits are in one piece for sure, that's why the kit box is so long.

I plan to put leading edge dowels in my lathe and drill out a hole dead in centre and do a scarf joint with a cocktail stick in the middle to keep thing true, Yes may be over the top and unnecessary but that is the way forward for me in this area each to his own and all that.
Bert   
Slowly going where others have been before.

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 23:17:21 PM »
Day 3 - 9 hours

After carefully heating and flexing/bending the longerons, with weights, boxes and fixings then leaving to cool over night, it turns out that this had almost no effect.  So got the wood much hotter with the air gun and used a bit more brut falls, this has done the trick, so now glueing to the ply frame sides.   The ply is not an exact shape match to the drawings but the important part (lower curve) is a match.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 23:21:32 PM by smutlley »

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2013, 00:20:08 AM »
It was recommended  to clamp in a vice and heat and bend the fuz wood.
Hope you remembered to fit the root wing rib at the required angle

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2013, 00:38:19 AM »
It was recommended  to clamp in a vice and heat and bend the fuz wood.
Hope you remembered to fit the root wing rib at the required angle

Yes Barmybert, 3 degree on root rib, also I have used 2 pieces of scrap dowle passed through the holes that are for the wing joiners/pins these are also at 3 degree as the pre machined holes are staggered ready for this angle.  I used a tool I have for setting the pitch on my heli blades.  see picture.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:33:19 AM by smutlley »

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 02:15:29 AM »
Day 3 - 10 hours

Left and right frame sides, lower longeron with ply former

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2013, 14:47:03 PM »
Looks good and no signs of dust from having to reshape and cut stuff.
Remember to use side frame drawing not assembly drawing when making side frames

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 01:39:25 AM »
Day 4 - 14 hours

Berty you are correct re the drawings, I swapped to the other plan that I printed and it is now a fit, very odd that they are different to each other.

So on to the stab:- We are short one length of capping material for the ribs, I ran out with no short ribs capped, Trimmed one from a spare sheet, take a look at the picture attached, the trailing edge material supplied is not big enough to cover the ends of the capping, I will have to glue some extra balsa to build it up.

Laminating the leading edge on is a bit more tricky than the wing tips but got it done eventually, started with cyno for the first strip to bond to the ply stab, then as the wing tips alafatic wood glue , used every clamp I own.  Only 3 layers hear.  I have also clamped the hole assembly to a long Permagrit to to ensure that it dries strait.

I will get a set of plans printed for you when I'm back at work on Thursday.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:46:09 AM by smutlley »

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 23:12:59 PM »
Day 4 - 17 hours

Glued the thick balsa triangles, top and bottom to the stab and used a pencil for alinement in the pre cut holes.  Will not be sanding or shaping this part until I have the frame sides ready as I am not clear on how this fits as yet.

Started the rear top deck, built it over the plan but have not finished, as I am unsure how "part 7"  the ply former, pictured flat, fits, to the fuz frame sides, so I am unable to install the longerons to the back either as these will ultimately fit into the slits in part 7.  Part 9 "balsa former" is also not glued in as this goes on the frame sides also, to support the center liongeron and shape the front top deck, the one not made from balsa.

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 00:58:28 AM »
Day 4 - 19 hours

One last job before I'm off for the night.  I have started the first side frame.  I screwed the lower longeron side frame ply to the bench through the drawing in position to keep it fixed while building.

Taking great care to keep the upper cyparis longeron strait as this is where all datum measurements are taken from in the future of the build.  Only put 3 of the uprights in to start with so I can take more care in keeping it strait.  Now clamped and weighted down to keep it flat to the bench while setting over night.

As a point of note:- I would start the build with the frame/fuz first, because as I am building the various parts so fare I am finding that I can't finish them as I need the frame to check for fit before finishing and shaping.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:01:54 AM by smutlley »

Offline Mike_T

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 124
  • BMFA Number: S028042
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
Watching with interest!

I must admit, I'm struggling to understand why the turtledeck is being built separately (with its own separate longerons?) and why the top longeron on your sideframe is packed up off the bench, but I assume this is all covered-off in the plans and build instructions!

Re the rear former, this would normally go between the rear frames as they are pulled together - and then the turtledeck stringers laid in afterwards $%&

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
tekiM

The side frame is packed up off the bench to match longeron as it already has the ply side glued on.

As for the answers in the plans and build instructions, I wish!

I am quite new to this building mallarki, I have only completed one other build so any advice would be appreciated. 

Top/Turtle deck being built separately? It is seperate on the plans and a couple of the pictures Jan "ADFA Models" sent with the kit show it separately.  I guess I will see if this is a good or bad Idea when I come to marry them up.  $%&
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 21:07:28 PM by smutlley »

Offline steamysheep

• YAY!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 71
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
Might be a way of helping to align the sides?

If the turtle is built over the plan it will be correct and can be used as a jig when pulling the sides in without relying totally on aligning over the plans.
LOOK IF I AM EVER ON A LIFE SUPPORT MACHINE...... UNPLUG ME.....THEN PLUG ME BACK IN.........  SEE IF THAT WORKS....

Offline Mike_T

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 124
  • BMFA Number: S028042
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 10:55:17 AM »
The side frame is packed up off the bench to match longeron as it already has ply ply side glued on.

That was the only reason I could think of.  So does that lower former sit inside, or outside the frames, when they are assembled?
I am quite new to this building mallarki only completed one other build so any advice would be appreciated. 

Top/Turtle deck being built separately? It is seperate on the plans and a couple of the pictures Jan "ADFA Models" sent with the kit show it separately.  I guess I will see if this is a good or bad Idea when I come to marry them up.  $%&

Well, I've built a couple of DB Pups, but this one is a bit different.  I'm sure we'll all chip in as best we can, but in the meantime:

Small | Large

:ev :ev :ev

Offline adfa

• RCMF Flight Lieutenant
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 20:30:21 PM »
Looking good SMUTLLEY , the ply former will be on the out side , other wise you will be in tuble to fit the wing former.
got you new stringers yet.??

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 21:25:34 PM »
Day 5 - 21 hours

Putting the last 2 pieces into the first side frame, firstly I should have pointed out before, I have scared all the glue points with a razor saw to aid with the glue bond.

Note that one of the uprights partly covers the rear hole in the ply side plate, not sure how this will effect the wing joining pins later in the build.

Notice the last few pieces of cyparis longeron left over, you really do not get any chance to make a mistake, plus you need the off cuts from the main top and bottom longeron to make up 2 of the shorter uprights.

Now I have released the frame from the drawing I can see the top longeron only deviates from being perfectly strait by no more than 1mm, I hope this is good enough and I can replicate it on the left side.

Now onto the next one, remembering to make it a left one, eg. the ply plate on the other side of the frame
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 21:40:27 PM by smutlley »

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2013, 00:54:12 AM »
Day 5 - 24 hours

And here is the second side done, with just 2 pieces remaining to be cut and installed, I will do these last two parts once the main part is cured.

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2013, 01:12:05 AM »
Question?

I am not overly happy with the very small glue area with cyparis longerons and upright, I was thinking of adding some small ply triangular braces to each of the joins. Does anyone have an opinion on this?  Considering that the Cyparis although being technically a soft wood, is in fact hard and dense, I am using 30 min epoxy but I still don't think the bond is that great.

Advice please?

Offline Mudders

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 42
  • Liked: 125
  • Aye up!
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 09:28:47 AM »
I think it wouldn't hurt, some like to pin each joint with a cocktail stick or carbon rod also. Does the plan suggest stringing the fuz up too?

Muds  :)

Offline Pup Cam

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 196
  • -Receive: 80
  • Liked: 256
  • Dawn Patrol UK
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Question?

I am not overly happy with the very small glue area with cyparis longerons and upright, I was thinking of adding some small ply triangular braces to each of the joins. Does anyone have an opinion on this?  Considering that the Cyparis although being technically a soft wood, is in fact hard and dense, I am using 30 min epoxy but I still don't think the bond is that great.

Advice please?

When I started my Triplane fus all those years ago I did a bit of a test of glues on Cyparis (Epoxy, Medium Cyano, Gorrilla FPU IIRC)  and came to the conclusion that they were all reasonably similar in performance and so I have used Cyano mainly.  I still have a concern on "just" glue joints particularly when in tension, as some are on the Triplane, and so I haven't (and wouldn't) rely on just glue in these circumstances.   From a practical perspective, triangular gussets would work well particulary if lap  rather than butt joints are practical although as Matt sugests the fus should be braced either with wire in a scale like manner or more simply with diagonal balsa braces as per the Balsa USA Pup (and hundreds of other aircraft of all types and sizes)

If you go down the wire braced route I would use metal pins epoxied in place rather than using wooden ones as I did on the Tripehound (I'm always learning and mainly from mistakes!).

HTH

Alan   
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:30:20 PM by Pup Cam »
I'm back !

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2013, 23:07:59 PM »
I have made a start at last on my one.
Not sure if you have noticed there is some solid sheet wing tip and aileron tip reinforcement pieces in the box.
They are shown on plan although it may not be obvious,to the 2-am eye.
How-ether there may be a modification to this.
Have to wait and see what post man brings.

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2013, 00:18:47 AM »
Some pics of today's work

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2013, 22:29:34 PM »
I think it wouldn't hurt, some like to pin each joint with a cocktail stick or carbon rod also. Does the plan suggest stringing the fuz up too?

Muds  :)

Thanks Mudders, I have pinned all the joints with cocktails sticks and epoxy, may well go back after the sides are together for lap jointed braces.

No mention on plans or instructions re wiring the frames.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 22:32:21 PM by smutlley »

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2013, 22:31:11 PM »
I have made a start at last on my one.
Not sure if you have noticed there is some solid sheet wing tip and aileron tip reinforcement pieces in the box.
They are shown on plan although it may not be obvious,to the 2-am eye.
How-ether there may be a modification to this.
Have to wait and see what post man brings.

About time Bert  :af

You can use mine as your prototype.

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2013, 22:48:24 PM »
Day 6 - 26 hours

After pinning all the joints on both side frames, I have dry fitted and have come up with a small problem, former 5 the one just behind the wing is a little narrow, about 1mm to 2mm on each side.  I checked back with the drawing and the rear top deck is correct.  I think I will take a mil or 2 off each side of the top deck balsa stringers/longerons to overcome this before I glue it all up.  Also former 7, the most rear former, does not line up with the already installed uprights in the side frame, I can't move this forward to join the uprights as it buts up to the front of the stab, plus former 7 does not span to the outside of the frame sides, not sure if this is important or not.

I was planning on using wood glue "aliphatic" for this to give me plenty of time to get it square and strait.

I hope to have some answers from Jan "ADFA" by tomorrow when I stick it all together.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 22:54:26 PM by smutlley »

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2013, 22:52:22 PM »
Does anyone have a large and detailed pictures of where the horisontal tail "Stab" meets the fuze on the full size?

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2013, 23:01:40 PM »
Hi.
Although assembly plan top view, does show top deck between the  longrons, I am sure Jan said it goes on top. Best check before gluing.

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2013, 23:13:35 PM »
Hi I think the top deck stringers should end up at same height where deck meets the tail-plane

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2013, 23:20:28 PM »
Any good
Does show top deck raising to meet tail

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2013, 20:42:29 PM »
Any good
Does show top deck raising to meet tail

This one shows it a bit better, The rear of the fuz squares off the the stab.

Offline Pup Cam

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 196
  • -Receive: 80
  • Liked: 256
  • Dawn Patrol UK
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2013, 21:17:16 PM »
The Triplane has the same arrangement where the stringers turn up at the end to form the fairing for the front of the tailplane.

ila_rendered

Alan
I'm back !

Follow members gave a thank to your post:

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2013, 21:21:22 PM »
The Triplane has the same arrangement where the stringers turn up at the end to form the fairing for the front of the tailplane.

(Attachment Link)

Alan

Perfect that answers all the questions here.

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2013, 22:21:20 PM »
Cool,
I think I have seen a couple of longish triangle bits of wood in the box.
This must be where they go.

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2013, 00:34:51 AM »
Day 7 - 30 hours

I have glued in the carbon tube for one leading edge added some D ribs and glued one wing tip in place.

Also installed 2 formers into the frame/fuz plus the stingers for the top deck.

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2013, 23:21:32 PM »
Day 8 - 33 hours

Installing a couple more formers, Finishing No, 3 at the front and No. 6 at the rear, plus the 2 ply diaganals with the round hols in.  I have used hard wood for the last 2 front uprights along with a couple of braces and cocktail sticks, mainly due to not having enough of the appropriate wood in the kit.  On this subject some Cyparis spares arrived in the post for the lower wings, but they are too short to span all the ribs, Jan "ADFA" says this will be fine just ad some balsa as the ply spar is very strong on its own. :xx

Formers 1 and 2 next, these are, 1 the rounded part for the cowl and number 2 is the fire wall/bulkhead for the engine to bolt onto.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 23:25:04 PM by smutlley »

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2013, 23:27:31 PM »
Hi Jan,
  any advice and information on the Pup build would be much appreciated, so please post your information and pictures on this thread.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Offline barmybert

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2013, 00:15:18 AM »
Making steady progress on my one.
Have been concentrating on rear end feathers.
Pretty much no fuss construction.
Have come to conclusion it is easier to shape and glue on, one strip of edging wood first, then clamp others to the first one.
I did steam over kettle the tight curve for the fin, and strapped it bent double overnight to dry out before gluing.
Bert

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2013, 00:24:10 AM »
Day 9 - 33 hours

Fitted part 1 the round font piece to the fuz and the 3 x top former 8.  then spent about 2 hours trying to work out how the next parts fit.  I am finding that as the build progresses more parts do not fit, some are just the wrong size and some seem to have to hang in fresh air.  I have contacted Jan "ADFA" but he is slow at coming back and does not always answer the questions plus when he says 2 weeks he really means at least a month.

Due to the missing and wrong sized parts the build is going slowly now,  I may have to stop with the fus and go back to the wings while I await parts and info from Jan.   :study:

Offline smutlley

• RCMF Squadron Leader
  • Thank You
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2013, 00:35:07 AM »
Where do I get a prop that looks like this, or do I have to make it myself?.  Beautiful,

Offline Cornish Pixie

• RCMF Ace
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 36
  • Liked: 63
  • The Dawn Patrol UK
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »
Where do I get a prop that looks like this, or do I have to make it myself?.  Beautiful,

Phil at Fighteraces sells them for the geared 38.

Simon
The Dawn Patrol UK

RCMF Team

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:08:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2012
Page created in 1.005 seconds with 80 queries.