RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

July 07, 2020, 14:53:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Orange 620 'no range' rx

Started by Seanick, June 07, 2014, 10:07:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanick

Just posted this on the Orange website.
Grumpy.
It's taken over my life!   www.nickgates.co.uk

Brian Cooper

WOW.... at 100ft range you must have had a good one.

My last 620 had about 25ft range at full power. 
In 50 years of R/C flying this receiver was by far the worst piece of equipment I have ever had.
I ended up giving it to my granddaughter to crush in a vice.  She enjoyed crushing it --- and I enjoyed watching it die.

B.C.

Seanick

A fitting end!
What transmitter were you using?

Brian Cooper

Quote from: Seanick on June 07, 2014, 20:39:23 pm
A fitting end!
What transmitter were you using?

I used a JR DSX9 Mk2 Tx.  It works well on all my other receivers.

Actually, I have just checked and I am maligning the wrong receiver ---  My severely dodgy Orange Rx was a 615

B.C.

Seanick

Oh dear, I think 615 are fab!

leccyflyer

That just illustrates the problem -one person swears by a particular piece of equipment and a different person is just as likely to swear at it  ;)

I just installed one of those 620 receivers in a Zagi last weekend and it seemed to work okay, never got more than 100ft away in the air though, so some more extensive range testing might be called for.
Nicht mal ein Spitfire kann zur gleichen Zeit im Süden und im Norden sein.

Michael_Rolls

I have a couple of orange RXs which seem fine although only one of them has been flown as yet - it is the little 4 channel park flyer model. I also have a 620 which was reluctant to bind but eventually did so. No point in checking range, however, as despite it binding it doesn't respond to any control inputs. No more Orange for me- it looks as though they may have quality control issues. The model that the 620 was due to go into now has a Spektrum Rx - no problems, bound first time,etc..
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

TigerOC

I have a few of both R615 and R620. I use them mostly in gliders and use the R620 for extended range and the  615 for slope bashing with foamies. Before using the 620 I did some research and the tests below were very positive;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C2Z96dc_Ps

I range check all new rx's prior to use and both generally range check to 27m on the ground and 30m raised. I have never had problems with either and usually check them for lost frames after each flight. In all cases when I have had lost frames the problems have related to poor switch connections which I now try and avoid where possible.

Michael_Rolls

The fact that some folk have had problems and some haven't seems, to my mind, to indicate quality control problems. Certainly in my own case it isn't an installation question, or why would the straight swap to the Spektrum Rx cure things?
Don't understand your comment on switches - how many models have switches these days?
Mike

TigerOC

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on June 09, 2014, 06:40:00 am
Don't understand your comment on switches - how many models have switches these days?
Mike

A lot of gliders using 4AA packs in the nose still use them along with a charge port. I have started making my own servo leads and have replaced switches with a male servo plug.
Rob

Michael_Rolls

Ah, with you now, Rob. I don't have any 'pure' gliders (other than a 30 year old Middle Phase not flown since Pontius was not even a pilot!)
Mike

leccyflyer

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on June 09, 2014, 06:40:00 am
The fact that some folk have had problems and some haven't seems, to my mind, to indicate quality control problems. Certainly in my own case it isn't an installation question, or why would the straight swap to the Spektrum Rx cure things?
Mike

Mike. I'd imagine than almost every IC model and turbine model has a switch these days, as do many gliders and electric models. $%&
Nicht mal ein Spitfire kann zur gleichen Zeit im Süden und im Norden sein.

Michael_Rolls

Leccy
Guess I've been too long on the dark side - scarcely an ESC boasts a switch nowadays, but ALL my pre-electric models had switches. Put it down to age!!
Mike :embarassed: :'(

smck

Mike
You have been to  long somewhere! I have switches on most of my models, these don't use BEC,
Re - Orange, I have a quantity of various sizes, mainly 7 or 9ch. Only had one problem one, that was bought from a supplier on e-bay. But, was sorted, immediate refund.

Stuart

Michael_Rolls

pchristy

Never used Orange Rxs myself, but a fellow club member does. He usually buys at least 50% more than he needs (he buys in bulk!) and then bins the ones that don't come up to scratch! He reasons that at that price, he's still quids in but expects the quality control to be inferior to more expensive products! However, as with most electronics these days, they either work perfectly or barely at all (true digital!  ;) )!

--
Pete
"No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery."