February 21, 2020, 13:19:31 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

February 21, 2020, 13:19:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Tesla Model S

Started by RGN, October 05, 2014, 10:27:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RGN

I don't think I'll be buying a Tesla Model S anytime soon!

On Wednesday I flew to Chicago and the airport shuttle company sent a Tesla Model S to take me to LHR. The car is very nice - quiet, fast, comfortable etc. It was a warm day and the driver said he would get about 300 miles from a charge.

The same driver fetched me this morning in another Tesla S. It was a cold morning (about 4°C) and the car didn't get me home before running out of charge!  :o 160 miles and it died - we just got off the M20 before it died so it wasn't a very pleasant experience.

I've done a bit of research and these cars apparently use about 7,000 18650 batteries

I think Elon Musk is doing great things but perhaps these cars need more work before being released onto our roads. $%&

Richard

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

RGN

Oh, I forgot to mention that they have a 17 inch touch screen inside that provides access to most features on the car. This runs linux with Safari browser. Tesla use this for remote monitoring etc. and can remotely disable the car - as they have done to some that have had minor accidents until they can check the vehicle over (or refuse to enable it at all again afterwards, apparently). Tesla rushed out a patch for the computer about a week ago - no wonder with the Bash / Shell Shock vulnerability!  :''

Remote, malicious access to all car functions - from starting and stopping it, to ride height and lights etc. is not something worth considering.

It will be very interesting to see how they will keep the proposed self-driving cars free from this sort of vulnerability!  :study:

Richard
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

martinw

At least you didn't run out of charge on the way TO the airport...

RGN

Quote from: martinw on October 05, 2014, 11:10:16 am
At least you didn't run out of charge on the way TO the airport...

Agreed! Maybe that is why they brought my collection time forward by 30 minutes......

Richard

goggleboy

I good idea to use Linux, I would NOT trust one with Windows.     Linux is very hard to hack or infest with viruses.      In a few years, there will be a huge number of electric cars.       

peterleigh

I thought it was impossible to run out of juice as the car would not let you!!!...Must check the manual on this....or maybe he had a pre-production early version software cut-down version but quote from on-screen software '"It will be impossible to run out of charge unless you do so intentionally." maybe thats what the driver did, he kept overriding the warnings. :banghead:

Vinno

having run one on demo, the driver would have to take the blame on this as he/she would have had ample warning of the range  and charge state........

RGN

Well, I could see the display clearly from my seat and there was no indication of problems on the M25. Indicated battery state was 22% IIRC as we approached the M20.  I nodded off (I was on Chicago time) and woke up when the vehicle stopped at a services about a mile off the M20 - with not enough power to even open my window.

The off ramp is about 8 miles from the M25 so this happened over perhaps 10 miles.

This is my best recollection about a year after the event but is materially correct. I can't comment on how this compares to the behaviour Tesla promise as I've never seen a manual or taken a test drive.

Ruchard

Sent from my Android with Tapatalk