July 02, 2020, 12:22:27 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

July 02, 2020, 12:22:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

ASSAN

Started by fly-navy, January 20, 2015, 14:35:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fly-navy

Really a knowledge query guys.
I have been bequeathed some nice models, removing rx's and replacing with my compatible ones. In one model was a ASSAN X8R9 9 channel mini receiver,it was in a Ryan STA 120 and plugged into ch 9 is a
10V 4700 uF capacitor, why would this be fitted. It has a petrol engine fitted. I have put my rx in and bound it to my tx and all seems to be working ok, not tried the engines on any of them as I know nowt about them and Handbrake needs to give me some tutorals :''.
Thanks .John
Now that I am older I thought it was nice I seemed to have more patience,turns out  I don't give  a sh*t

TonyKing

The capacitor is fitted to prevent brown out on the receiver, the Assan receiver has not really caught on with 2.4 users but it has terrific range,
if you are going to bin the receiver then post it to me as I use Assan equipment in Spain.   ;)
The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.
Senior Administrator and Forum Moderator

Phil_G

Quote from: TonyKing on January 20, 2015, 15:01:42 pm
The capacitor is fitted to prevent brown out on the receiver

Quote from: Phil_G on April 26, 2011, 13:42:58 pm
I've posted this a couple of times, but to reiterate:
The idea of a capacitor as some sort of reservoir to supply servos during transient current demands is just unfeasible.
Take the example of a 4700uF capacitor. How much energy will that store?
F = C/V, and V = 5 Volts, F = 0.0047 Farads, thus C = 0.0235 Coulombs = 0.0235 Amp*seconds = 0.00653 mAh

A 4700uF capacitor has a A/H capacity of point zero zero six of a milliamp-hour.

A perfect 4700uF capacitor would supply 3A for just 7.8 milliseconds. Thats discharging it down to zero volts, not the 3.5v (?) minimum we need, which from BEC voltage would be reached in 2 or 3 ms. Once discharged, it contributes nothing, in fact actually absorbs more current if the voltage recovers, which will very slightly extend the time the supply takes to get back to working voltage.

Extra decoupling is usually good thing & wont do any harm, but its not a magic bullet, and it won't prevent brownout or 'take over from the BEC' if the voltage sags.

Cheers
Phil

fly-navy

Thank you for that Phil, need not worry then.
Tony pm your address and if the family don't want it back to put with the module I'll post it on.
John
Now that I am older I thought it was nice I seemed to have more patience,turns out  I don't give  a sh*t