February 21, 2020, 11:40:06 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

February 21, 2020, 11:40:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Rallying where did it all go!!

Started by CEEJAY, February 11, 2015, 12:55:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CEEJAY

February 11, 2015, 12:55:21 pm Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:59:22 pm by CEEJAY
for those of us old enough to have seen these in a rally stage

you do have to wonder where rallying went, its not televised now  $%&

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHrwcKGlHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtIkCgZz9Tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aKnwoR4SjU

spending far to many hours watching these video,s

cj
I know THE answer!!......................42

PDR

The mega-group rally cars (Group A?) got into a rediculous horsepower race that just became too dangerous, and a couple of fatalities underlined that point so it was banned IIRC. The poorer viewer-spectacle of the lower classes simply didn't justify the outside-broadcast costs so it was quietly dropped from the schedules.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Cactus

February 11, 2015, 13:07:52 pm #2 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 13:08:59 pm by Cactus
it can be found, it used to be on Dave, but bloody hard to find. it's also on BT sport, if you're a BT infinity customer you can access it online, but the BT serivce was very poor and hard to use for MOTO GP last year so I'd not expect much.
ITV4 may also have highlight shows.
It's a shame because it's television rights are probably so cheap now the BBC could have it back and it'd become popular again.
Problem is unless you have the very good BBC coverage you'd get for the Network Q ( the dramatic season ender that saw Saintz smash his car window with his helmet ) all you saw was clips of cars passing the same tree and a few seconds of incar footage, it's very hard to make a race exciting on TV when only one cars doing anything.

As for the sport they saw fit to swap to 1.6ltr units which the FIA is trying to make the standard for racing.
It's killed it, sure the cars are quick but theres no spectacle really, just some fiestas and polos rushing about the place with all the look of a mum in a panic on the school run.
Think Pete meant Group B, those were the toys, they looked like the cars the fleet rep would be out buying the next day, but they were spaceships!
I know you believe you understand what you think i said, but i am not sure you realise that what you think you heard is not what i meant.

CEEJAY

February 11, 2015, 13:22:22 pm #3 Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 13:23:44 pm by CEEJAY
I did catch a short highlights prog out in digital tv land a while ago, cant remember the channel, and the WRC is now a smaller class of car it seems, B class is it!!

do remember some of the early high horse power stuff, silly metro,s etc, the one must see event was the RAC but stopped following it when it became based in just wales, .

cj

Loopdreams

You can see it on Motors TV which is way down in the dark corner of Freeview, next to all the crazy US style god channels.  It didn't die following all the Group B accidents.  It was plenty popular during the McRae era and for some time afterwards.  But it certainly seemed to become less watched once they went to VW Polos and stuff they have now. 

Cactus

mc rae and burns was my era, great stuff, got a bit boring with lobe but you couldn't deny his tallent. then the FIA ruined the cars.
I know you believe you understand what you think i said, but i am not sure you realise that what you think you heard is not what i meant.

CEEJAY

one early memory is of Tony Pond, IIRC, running a TR8 through the wood sections at Trentham Gardens here in staffs, must see spot was the gate tween the formal estate and the woods, long tarmac section the off onto gravel as you went past two large stone gate posts, the width of a car plus a foot!!, with obviously for safety reasons! :af the gate removed, and just beyond it a speed trap, for spectator interest, TP clocked over 130 if memory serves!! 

cj

JohnP

Once upon a time the RAC Rally was a major event.  Looked forward to for weeks before-hand and lots of TV and press coverage.  It went on for days on end,  with only very brief overnight stops and covered much of England, Wales and Southern Scotland.  I've watched stages of it in Hamsterley Forest, Stang Forest and some of the stages in the Lakes.

These days what do we see?  Nothing.  Or almost nothing.  I usually forget the event is taking place until I see half a paragraph buried at the bottom of one of the sports pages in the paper mentioning that somebody I'd never heard of had just won it.  The event itself is confined to Wales,  and runs over very few stages,  using most of them twice (or more?)  Compared to the 70's and 80's,  it's now just a mere shadow of itself... 
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

Bad Raven

Well, you can still go to Goodwood and watch Group B's etc hammering through the woods.

The spectacle certainly didn't die with the end of the hugely expensive customs, though the economy drive has I feel gone a bit too far very recently..

TV Coverage:-

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/media/tv-guide/western-europe/page/987-2395-80--.html
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

Bad Raven

The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

Cactus

February 12, 2015, 07:36:49 am #10 Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:38:25 am by Cactus
The same will happen to MOTO GP now it's been pinched by pay to veiw telly.
F1 even stated free to view telly was most important for coverage, millions watched the BBC coverage around the world, then they went and sold it to SKY.
these greedy sports deserve what happens after that.

BTCC has slowly come back, itv4 isn't on most peoples flick through choices but it's gone from only one or two factory teams that hoover up everything to a large very competitive field.
and crowd numbers are soaring!

PDR

Quote from: Cactus on February 12, 2015, 07:36:49 am
F1 even stated free to view telly was most important for coverage, millions watched the BBC coverage around the world,

No they didn't. The BBC only supplied coverage to the UK - in other countries coverage was provided by their local TV companies. The coverage at each race was contracted (by the F1 organisation) to a local company to provide cameras, direction and production team with countries adding their own commentary and any pre/post race material. In the 80s the BBC didn't even attend all the races (or even broadcast them live) - for many of them the commentary team sat in studios in the UK from where they would at best add live commentary, but more often they'd watch and record the race, and then assemble an edit for later broadcast.

The BBC coverage was never seen outside the UK, and attracted a peak audience of about 800,000 viewers. That's why it couldn't justify its costs.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Steve Lewin

The problem for TV is that rallying is inherently boring. One car comes past then you wait a bit in the hope that another will turn up. When the cars themselves were exciting it could get by but now it's a VW Polo just came past, if I wait a minute I might see a Hyundai i20, oh look there's a Ford Fiesta....well I can look round any supermarket car park for that ;).

Steve

Cactus

Not so, very often when they had the F1 forum they would be talking to F1 fans in the far east, or india who'd state they watch the BBC coverage.
Eddie made the point live on the forum that all these people will loose F1 coverage when the BBC looses it. I think he even said how many million it was, but I can't remember the figure so I won't embarras myself.
They never said it was live, but it seemed to be the way a lot of people watched.

Bang on steve  :-\

Although the live network Q was exciting, they kept cutting between the two championship contenders with split times etc, it was very exciting, until Carlos broke down.

paulinfrance

I have sky over here,  :-X 410 which gives all the 'major' ( money) sports, tennis billiards ( ZZZZZZZ ) and a load of other crap, Sunday the 'snooze' F1 channel and No Moto GP  :embarassed: It's another 'wad' of £'s  which gives me a load of other sports of which I don't watch,, The French free channels cover the main rally's, but I have to admit youboob has a lot of good stuff for free  :af
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

PDR

Quote from: Cactus on February 12, 2015, 07:36:49 am
F1 even stated free to view telly was most important for coverage, millions watched the BBC coverage around the world,

BBC only had the rights to broadcast it in the UK. They also put it on the BBC website, but it was restricted to UK IP addresses (so I couldn't see it via my company network, for example, as it has a non-geographic IP address which the BBC see as "overseas"). People DID watch the BBC coverage of live and time-shifted races in other countries by using IP-spoofing techniques, but they did so illegally. The BBC didn't really care, but the F1 rights holders were threatening to sue them for exceeding their contracted rights if they didn't tighten-up on this. The F1 forum is different - it's just a TV programme with no live/complete screening of the race and the BBC can give access to whoever they like. Eddie Jordan's remarks were just typical Jordan mischief-making - he was being "econoimical with the truth".

then they went and sold it to SKY.

No, they didn't. The BBC was outbid by ITV, and so we had 5(?) years of F1 races with advert breaks. But ITV couldn't make it pay its way - the costs well exceeded its revenue, so they declined to renew their contract and BBC took it back for much the same fee that they had previously paid before ITV took it on. But in 2011 the BBC's license fee income was frozen and it needed to review costs across the board. The F1 deal was the BBC's largest single "content expenditure" (by a very long way) and they simply couldn't justify it in terms of audience figures, so they quietly advised F1 that they would not be able to renew when their contract expired in 2013, so they should be looking for an alternative UK broadcaster. F1 approached Sky, but while they could afford it Sky was reluctant to take it on because of the flack they'd get for making F1 another restricted "subscriber only" sport.

So Sky approached the BBC with the idea of a joint-venture. Sky would pay the lion's share of the fees and to justify this the BBC would only have live coverage of some of the races - the coverage would be seperate and each company would have its own commentators, production teams and "added value content" (pre/post race stuff). The BBC was able to keep F1 coverage on free-to-air, while cutting the cost of doing so by something like 95% (Sky is really subsiding the whole shebang). Sky do the coverage with no in-race avert breaks (inlike ITV) and having watched both I'd say Sky do a far better job with the pre/pst race content and also have better commentary - Martin Brundle is vastly superior to the Jordan/Coulthard combo.

PDR

paulinfrance

I got Moto GP  last year from a Belgium TV on 'replay' in English,,, for nothing, this year ?,,,,  :-\
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

antonnick

February 12, 2015, 13:43:42 pm #17 Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 13:46:02 pm by antonnick
Not being a ralleye enthusiast in particular, do not lament any non TV coverage however.....
..every year in April, I am woken by surprise by the sound of revving engines at the bottom of the road. this is the start of the annual Vogelsberg Ralleye when the peaceful rural area becomes a bit noisy for a few hours. As a live spectacle ( especially when you only have to walk a few metres to see a sharp corner manoevre) it definately has something going for it. No idea what class of cars they are - perhaps someone can tell me? My house is in the background on the hill surrounded by trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fL4z9mnEcE&feature=player_detailpage
Sicher, kann ich fliegen!
I am not a "guy" and I was never a "kid".

Cactus

meanwhile in cornwall..

traction engines block our villiage for about an hour as they crawl their way home after Trevithick day