February 21, 2020, 13:25:27 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

February 21, 2020, 13:25:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

ABS Shower tray in Caravan Repair

Started by spillage, August 12, 2015, 17:41:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spillage

I need a quick fix for my second hand caravan which has one of those awful asb trays... any recommendations of how to do it - I have purchased some clear gorrilla tape which I will pop over crack where it is going.... Says its both water proof and flexible....

Other ideas - has to be flexible due to it been in the corners of bottom of tray...

Rgds

John

bigrob

put a replacement fibreglass tray in that'll fix it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

half throttle

As a Citroen Mehari owner I have it on good authority that scraps of ABS will dissolve in Acetone and you can a make a "putty" for repair purposes.
'Concerning myself with the reasoning processes of your cerebral cortex is notably absent from my tables of consideration at this juncture'

itsme

Look online for replacement trays. A repair will always be a bodge. The acetone trick will be better than tape.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

meharibear

I had my motorhome ABS bathroom floor/shower tray repaired by a company which uses some sort of plastic overspray system.  Cost about £300 to do that and the sink 3 years ago.  Still seems good.  Only problem is that you have a "raindrop" type finish on it afterwards but it still looks better than a bodge job and is very much cheaper than a replacement.  This was the system he used.  I believe they have agents countrywide - http://www.neilthecaravanmedic.co.uk/caravanshowertrayrepairs.aspx
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

Darkstar56

I believe  that  the glue you need is Stabilit express. See if there are any utube videos about mending cracked sailboards because they used to be made from abs.
Hth
Max
"... acquisition of knowledge is never too dear."
Sir Francis Walsingham, Spymaster to Q Elizabeth 1.

EricF

August 12, 2015, 22:30:42 pm #6 Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 22:46:50 pm by EricF
This one should do it:

http://hobby.uk.com/super-crylic-adhesive.html

There are quite a few suppliers at different prices so Google it for the best deal.

Best of luck.
I'm not old, I've just been young for a very long time!

Shaunie

I used plastic waste pipe solvent cement quite successfully on the shower tray of my Bailey Pageant. It amazes me how unfit for purpose these caravan parts are. I had to replace the bathroom basin earlier this year, £85 for a piece of vacformed plastic. If I could have used a generic one it would have been 20 quid!
Shaunie.