RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 13, 2019, 12:59:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Life expired BP 2380 Turbine Oil

Started by bullfrog_sc, August 31, 2016, 06:57:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bullfrog_sc

I've been having a clear out of my garage and I've got a box full of BP 2380 turbine oil with a DofM of 2006. As its life expired just wondering if any of you guys use it or am I best to dispose of it.

Steven

The Stig

2380 is the datum oil for Gas Turbines . Its an excellent work horse and is used in thousands of Full size gas turbines .
the original was Esso 2380 and I think BP made it under licence because it was so popular/good.
I would think that is the containers are sealed  , then its life would be "infinite ", These oils tend to pick up water if they are warm and open to the atmosphere.

someones going to get a bargain.!! Pity I dont run model turbines ,

cheers 

bullfrog_sc

They're in the original box all unopened and the cans as in as new condition, if anyone is interested. Guess being life ex puts people off though.

Steven

THE BLACKBIRD

It would not put me off buying them from you, but i live in Cyprus and shipping to here is Soooooo expensive
The man that never made a mistake
Never made anything

The Stig

On the aero engine, the oil is "used "and replenished regularly , tanks are small , but when the aero jets are used as ground based units , British Gas use them to pump  gas to our homes . There the tanks can be huge ,70 gallons is typical ,( no weight penalty ) Customers used to ask us when they needed to do an oil change ,( never)
The only criteria was acidity  , too high and the oil needed changing , the old oil could be "refurbished " in some cases.

So personally I dont understand the Time ex bit ??

cheers

The Saint. (Owen)

Neither do I, bit like bottled water filtered for thousands of years through volcanic rock, yet it has a 'best before' date. ;) ;)
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

bullfrog_sc

Only going by the BP website saying a shelf life of 4 years but then I guess that's for use in full size jet engines.

Steven

British Victory

Quote from: bullfrog_sc on August 31, 2016, 21:24:32 pm
Only going by the BP website saying a shelf life of 4 years but then I guess that's for use in full size jet engines.

Steven
I think that's more for their bottom line than anything else, but perhaps I'm too much of a cynic.
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

The Stig

The document I have just read says

a minimum of 4 years !

cheers

PDR

Quote from: The Stig on August 31, 2016, 19:03:14 pm
So personally I dont understand the Time ex bit ??

Most of these oils are blends, often with a few herbs and spices (anti-scuff additives, EP-enhancers etc). In many cases the shelf life is due to the risk that the blend may separate-out and the additives all fall to the bottom or float to the top. The RAF were given life-extensions on some engine lubricants by having a six-monthly change of venue. Loading the drums into a truck and driving them around for an hour or so was deemed sufficient to keep the stuff well shaken and mixed.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

bullfrog_sc

Shame I had someone interested in them for £6 a can but can't find anyone that'll courier them as they are on their dangerous goods list.