January 23, 2020, 00:19:09 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 23, 2020, 00:19:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Headlights

Started by rogerandout, December 17, 2016, 11:43:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerandout

Earlier this year I treated myself to a year old Honda CRV which I am very pleased with.............EXCEPT............
the dipped headlights are crap I.m scared to drive fast at night for fear of overtaking the lights,
Looking around I see that LED conversions are available for less than £20.00 has anyone any experience of these? Do thy make a difference?

Bad Raven

Don't know about headlights but the number of LED tail lights and white LED light used as driveway markers, etc faulty is SO high it looks to me like lifetime performance is iffy at best?
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

DarrellW

Philips extreme or racing vision are the best bulbs I've used, the racing vision are brighter but have  a limited life.
https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-racingvision-h7-twin?gclid=CjwKEAiA4dPCBRCM4dqhlv2R1R8SJABom9pHmDkMk1QIV9b8t720DIRQipPUyPwEjd1c0E6qlFUKoBoCMyPw_wcB
I think that you will find that LED bulbs are not road legal, they are usually off road use only.
I think.......I think I am........Therefore I am. .....I think!

Brian Cooper

Quote from: rogerandout on December 17, 2016, 11:43:04 am
Earlier this year I treated myself to a year old Honda CRV which I am very pleased with.............EXCEPT............
the dipped headlights are crap I.m scared to drive fast at night for fear of overtaking the lights,
Looking around I see that LED conversions are available for less than £20.00 has anyone any experience of these? Do thy make a difference?

I took delivery of a brand new Citroen C4 Grand Picasso last week and the headlights on it were totally useless.
The amount of light being emitted was so dim, I seriously thought the lamps had a setting which reduced the light by 50%.   . . they were the worst lights I had ever experienced on any car in the last 45 years, and it was actually dangerous to drive at night on unlit roads.  I too was contemplating fitting more powerful bulbs.
I took it back and the aim of all the lights was adjusted . . . . and now the lights are absolutely superb.  :af

A simple adjustment might also cure the Honda's problems.

B.C.

British Victory

I  had a 2016 audi A5 (as a loan car) with led headlights absolutely unbelievable performance.
My 17 year old audi tt has xenon lamps and they were great, I fitted new bulbs, the cost of which made me wince, and they are excellent but not in the same league as the A5.
If you can get an LED conversion, go for it.

there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

Andy J

I don't think it's anything to do with the headlights being poor, I think it's the intensity of the headlights on cars coming towards you, being a country boy, I managed fine with pre Halogen sealed beam units on dark country roads, mainly because I wasn't continuously being blinded by the headlights of cars coming towards me.
When you're chewing on lifes grissle don't grumble give a whistle and this'll make things turn out f

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: Andy J on December 29, 2016, 19:22:51 pm
I don't think it's anything to do with the headlights being poor, I think it's the intensity of the headlights on cars coming towards you, being a country boy, I managed fine with pre Halogen sealed beam units on dark country roads, mainly because I wasn't continuously being blinded by the headlights of cars coming towards me.

Me too - and the brighter headlights become, the more dangerous they are to oncoming drivers on unlit roads, regardless of the effectiveness of one's own lights.
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

itsme

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on December 29, 2016, 22:04:55 pm
Me too - and the brighter headlights become, the more dangerous they are to oncoming drivers on unlit roads, regardless of the effectiveness of one's own lights.
Mike

Yep. And the worst are the bloody leds. ..

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Michael_Rolls

Oh, and I should have said on 'narrow unlit roads' - motorways and the like, the oncoming beam isn't aimed right at you
Mike

keithl

My pet hate is cyclists with helmet mounted superbright LED lights.  If they look at you, you are instantly dazzled.
Warning: objects in the mirror may be close than they appear (or I'm creeping up on you from behind)

Michael_Rolls

One of the things that is really bad around here are tractors. Many of then have headlights mounted quite high so that even on 'dipped' beam they shine right into your eyes. That's bad enough, but the two lights are only about 2 feet apart, if that, so you have no idea how wide the approaching behemoth might be - and it could be towing a trailer a good bit wider than the tractor itself.
Mike

Bad Raven

The whole vehicle lighting thing is out of control.

Urban London has a very very high proportion of cars where one headlight is either out or skying.  Apparently from numerous examples seen every damn time I drive any distance at night the answer to a bulb failure on one headlight is to drive around with the one left on main beam.

I find it impossible to believe that they were all OK at last MOT. As a test I put my car in to its last MOT last year with the dash dial adjustable headlights set to the highest setting, one I feel is far too high. It came back set as sent and passed without comment.They "may" have adjusted both ways, but I doubt it!

Many cars now have ridiculously bright normal rear lighting, Mercedes in particular. Since they are mostly Autos there they sit at lights and queues, brake lights blazing, blinding people behind. Being behind one is really very uncomfortable. With the trend to SUV/4x4 ever strengthening the headlight issue for normal cars becomes worse as they are higher.

A friend of mine was as close to decapitated and still remain alive after he was unable to see past headlights of a coach coming the other way, so could not see it had a luggage door raised.

It does not require that headlights be made brighter to drive faster, they should be lumens limited so that you HAVE to drive slower at night!!
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

ofej

Well said.

My pet hate is those that drive cars onto the wrong side of the road, park and leave their engines on, headlamps dipped - pointing right into your eyes as you struggle to pass them, on the correct side of the road.

Bass turds.

EssJay

One of the problems today with modern cars is the 'electronic handbrake'. I have one in a VW with a DSG auto gearbox, and when you stop at traffic lights the handbrake comes on automatically, but unfortunately all the time the electronic brake is on, the brake-lights are also on until you pull away.
You consequently end up blinding those behind you through no fault of your own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No trees were harmed by this post, but some electrons have been slightly inconvenienced

Bad Raven

March 17, 2017, 07:20:00 am #14 Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 07:22:08 am by Bad Raven
Quote from: EssJay on March 16, 2017, 22:01:03 pm
One of the problems today with modern cars is the 'electronic handbrake'. I have one in a VW with a DSG auto gearbox, and when you stop at traffic lights the handbrake comes on automatically, but unfortunately all the time the electronic brake is on, the brake-lights are also on until you pull away.

I didn't know that. THAT should be illegal!!

Anyone remember cars with "Dim Dip" headlights? My wife's Corolla had them. They didn't last as a new car fitment very long, but seemed to be a good idea?

The Saint. (Owen)

Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

ofej

Articulated lorry trailers had them 40 years ago, probably still do.

Darkstar56

Driving yesterday mid morning I was confronted with a motorbike coming towards me. He had his normal headlights on plus a light either side of it which was very dazzling. Seemed to be pointed straight at my eye level. I think from the colour they were LED.

Maxg
"... acquisition of knowledge is never too dear."
Sir Francis Walsingham, Spymaster to Q Elizabeth 1.

Butzi

Quote from: EssJay on March 16, 2017, 22:01:03 pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You always have the option of putting the gearbox in 'Park' thereby being considerate and not blinding those behind you.  :af

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: Butzi on March 19, 2017, 14:06:01 pm
You always have the option of putting the gearbox in 'Park' thereby being considerate and not blinding those behind you.  :af

I've had it pointed out to me in another thread that relying on the Park mode isn't always enough - being hit from behind for example, apparently there has been a case where an insurance company refused to pay up on an auto left in P without the handbrake being on as contributing to the damage
Mike

JohnP

I think, Mike, that really applies to when the car is left unattended - ie. parked somewhere.  Then both handbrake and Park (or 1/R on a manual) should be selected.  Otherwise insurance companies might start to get a little awkward in the event of a claim - probably more so if the car rolls off on its own eg. due to failure of the handbrake (was it Renault or Citroen who had that issue a decade or so ago?)
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: JohnP on March 19, 2017, 18:45:33 pm
I think, Mike, that really applies to when the car is left unattended - ie. parked somewhere.  Then both handbrake and Park (or 1/R on a manual) should be selected.  Otherwise insurance companies might start to get a little awkward in the event of a claim - probably more so if the car rolls off on its own eg. due to failure of the handbrake (was it Renault or Citroen who had that issue a decade or so ago?)

Good point. I always used to just rely on Park unless on a slope, but now use both Park and handbrake religiously
Mike