August 10, 2020, 11:43:19 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

August 10, 2020, 11:43:19 am

Login with username, password and session length


Started by SteveBB, December 28, 2016, 18:12:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


My car is parked up on a friend's drive a few doors up from my UK address while I'm in the States, I won't be back in the UK until May at the earliest. The MOT expires mid January, the insurance is up in esrly February and the tax the end of March.

I can get the SORN sorted of course, but do I need insurance, I'm supposing maybe? I appreciate the MOT would need to be done before it gets driven anywhere.

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.


according to the government website (google is your friend - possibly)

"You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called 'continuous insurance enforcement'."
Confucious he say "more than one aircraft in the same airspace leads to structural failure"


Insurance would not be a legal requirement whilst on a private drive,,  if it was on your own drive it  would possibly be covered for break ins etc, by your household insurance but not your neighbours insurance.
The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.
Senior Administrator and Forum Moderator


It will not be insured unless you explain to the company that you are leaving it there. It's not a legal requirement on a private drive but it will not be insured for theft etc.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk