January 23, 2020, 00:12:46 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 23, 2020, 00:12:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Cyclists!

Started by Bad Raven, February 20, 2017, 21:21:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kinverflyer

The fact of the matter is there some right idiots from all walks of life, it just seems most of them tend to wear Lycra at the weekends.

ofej

It only takes one or two numpties to spoil the whole image of any group of people.

There are two roads into South Woodham Ferrers. One 'fast' road, and the original road through a slightly more built-up area. Both roads are two way roads with single lanes in each direction.

It amazed me, as a cyclist that has done more than a hundred miles in the saddle this week, that some cyclists found it necessary to hold up the traffic on the 'fast' road in both directions today.

This must be people that do not plan their rides, just "joy-riding".

Both roads are connected at each end and are cross-connected in the middle.

There really should be a constant trickle of information to the inexperienced, from childhood onwards, regarding sensible practices for all road users, especially those on two-wheeled or four-legged transport types.

Maybe "The Highway Code and practical road sense"  would be a good mandatory subject for schools.

Butzi

Quote from: kinverflyer on March 11, 2017, 08:33:34 am
The fact of the matter is there some right idiots from all walks of life, it just seems most of them tend to wear Lycra at the weekends.

.....or ride horses, or drive cars, or ramble, or pilot aircraft etc. etc.  ::)

Big A

Been out for a 30 mile ride this morning on one stretch, nice wide road with a marked cycle lane as the inner lane I was held up by an old duffer driving a fiat Panda right in the cycle lane. Therfore all motorists are idiots. Sigh

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

FrankS

Just been for a walk in a local town, outside a restaurant a taxi was parked half on the pavement (it was a narrow street), but he hadn't left enough room for anybody with a pram to get by on the pavement, so they had to go round him on the road slowing down the traffic, Mums and prams eh

itsme

Quote from: FrankS on March 12, 2017, 16:16:11 pm
Just been for a walk in a local town, outside a restaurant a taxi was parked half on the pavement (it was a narrow street), but he hadn't left enough room for anybody with a pram to get by on the pavement, so they had to go round him on the road slowing down the traffic, Mums and prams eh
we have a new italian restaurant opened up- right on a blind bend with a junction. Taxis at night are now pulling up and putting their hazards on while people are finishing drinks, paying bills etc. No room to walk past, you have to step on to the road, and even cars are turning completely blind, hoping there is nothing coming...

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: itsme on March 12, 2017, 18:45:16 pm
we have a new italian restaurant opened up- right on a blind bend with a junction. Taxis at night are now pulling up and putting their hazards on while people are finishing drinks, paying bills etc. No room to walk past, you have to step on to the road, and even cars are turning completely blind, hoping there is nothing coming...

Complain to the police?
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

itsme

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on March 12, 2017, 22:28:52 pm
Complain to the police?
Mike
Oh thou art taking of the urine, Michael. We have a brand new police station in the village but do you ever see a copper? Never. And if you go up there you find it is unmanned with a telephone outside to contact them. Which gets through to the main police station some ten miles away. Its simply somewhere to park their cars and pick up the panda for the day. And of course its only a problem late at night so they just turn a blind eye.

keithl

Quote from: itsme on March 09, 2017, 12:43:11 pm
Back to lights- got one last night that made me bloomin angry. He had one of those high power strobes and had it set deliberately to shine in motorists eyes. It has to be illegal.

On my daily commute, I cycle about 1.5 miles at each end of a train ride - one in a small town in Essex and the other in Central London. 

At the London end, where there are many cyclists, a small percentage have bright helmet mounted front lights.  Whoever they look at is therefore dazzled.  As a cyclist, my eyes are higher up than most cars drivers' would be, so if I get dazzled, I am sure that they will be as well.  Surely it is a dangerous thing for a cyclist to do, dazzling the oncoming traffic?

At the Witham end, what winds me up is that a rarely see another cyclist on the road.  Others cycling on the pavement gives us all a bad name (and often without lights even when dark).
Warning: objects in the mirror may be close than they appear (or I'm creeping up on you from behind)

itsme

Quote from: keithl on March 13, 2017, 11:03:54 am
On my daily commute, I cycle about 1.5 miles at each end of a train ride - one in a small town in Essex and the other in Central London. 

At the London end, where there are many cyclists, a small percentage have bright helmet mounted front lights.  Whoever they look at is therefore dazzled.  As a cyclist, my eyes are higher up than most cars drivers' would be, so if I get dazzled, I am sure that they will be as well.  Surely it is a dangerous thing for a cyclist to do, dazzling the oncoming traffic?

At the Witham end, what winds me up is that a rarely see another cyclist on the road.  Others cycling on the pavement gives us all a bad name (and often without lights even when dark).
These are the things that get me. Especially the strobe-like flashing ones. The obviously have no idea they are blinding the driver of a two ton vehicle heading towards them. Not a very clever ploy...

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: itsme on March 13, 2017, 08:14:12 am
Oh thou art taking of the urine, Michael. We have a brand new police station in the village but do you ever see a copper? Never. And if you go up there you find it is unmanned with a telephone outside to contact them. Which gets through to the main police station some ten miles away. Its simply somewhere to park their cars and pick up the panda for the day. And of course its only a problem late at night so they just turn a blind eye.

I really needed a tongue in check 'verily thou jokest' smilie.
Mike  ;D
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

itsme

Bad Raven

Those of you not around London presumably missed the BBC Local News report today into the Cycle Super Highway (one of Boris's best ideas, as it were).

Well, Its reported a lot of cyclists are falling over while cycling it as the blue painted lane surface, designed and painted at huge expense (and delay to traffic then and now) becomes slippery when wet. 

Also, great concern as a motorcyclist died after undertaking a van, losing it, and hitting a bollard.

Another big taxpayer bill coming and more delays.
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................