RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

August 10, 2020, 11:39:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Shoreham - Plane in Sea

Started by Bad Raven, March 30, 2017, 19:34:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Raven

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39448815

OK, so a Cessna splashes down, but what is a Hughes/MD with US Reg doing there on the beach?
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

Bad Raven

It's a 1983 MD500E, and is/was based at Shoreham, but still why as a private aircraft was it landed on the beach?
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

itsme

Dead stick?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

martinw

Presumably the helicopter went down to assist? And looking at the picture the wet aeroplane isn't a Cessna, more a small low-winger, Eurostar or similar?

JohnP

A posting on pprune suggests it's a PA-28 Piper Cherokee,  G-AVTO

BBC TV News a little while ago apparently mentioned a Piper rather than their earlier mention of a Cessna - though the website still talks about a Cessna!  Good to hear that there appear to have been no injuries though.

Another poster on pprune claims to have been watching the departure on the Shoreham webcam and reckons the engine didn't sound too healthy.  Which ties-in with the first thought I had when I saw the picture a few hours ago on the BBC website - that it was an engine failure after take off.
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

Bad Raven

Quote from: Bad Raven on March 30, 2017, 19:59:01 pm
It's a 1983 MD500E, and is/was based at Shoreham, but still why as a private aircraft was it landed on the beach?

AFAIK in the UK a Helicopter can land provided the pilot has the owner's permission and does not violate any Air Traffic Rules whilst doing so. I doubt a public beach qualifies, "assisting" or not?

itsme

Quote from: Bad Raven on March 31, 2017, 06:54:05 am
AFAIK in the UK a Helicopter can land provided the pilot has the owner's permission and does not violate any Air Traffic Rules whilst doing so. I doubt a public beach qualifies, "assisting" or not?
If it was his mate who went down, I'm sure I would risk a slap for going to help...