September 25, 2020, 08:58:20 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

September 25, 2020, 08:58:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Only electric new cars from 2040

Started by Michael_Rolls, July 26, 2017, 07:15:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

paulinfrance

It's funny that 'we' modellers are babbling along about Electric cars to save the world
from pollution, ::) but why can't we run our petrol guzzlers on alcohol/methanol ?. :''
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

itsme

Quote from: paulinfrance on August 27, 2017, 06:43:17 am
It's funny that 'we' modellers are babbling along about Electric cars to save the world
from pollution, ::) but why can't we run our petrol guzzlers on alcohol/methanol ?. :''
Petrol guzzlers? I get around twice or more flights from a gallon of petrol (£7) that I did from my Mokis on Duraglo 5 (£16) Thats four time cheaper....

paulinfrance

Quote from: itsme on August 27, 2017, 07:44:30 am
Petrol guzzlers? I get around twice or more flights from a gallon of petrol (£7) that I did from my Mokis on Duraglo 5 (£16) Thats four time cheaper....

I am talking about cars,,,  :''

itsme

Quote from: paulinfrance on August 27, 2017, 11:22:45 am
I am talking about cars,,,  :''
Ah Confusion. You said particularly 'modellers'. Yes, run you car on Methanol. two yourows fifty a leeta to you forigners

paulinfrance

Funny,  No one has come up with Paraffin, it's less than 1€ a litre over here, and  turbines run on it,
so you could chuck one under the bonnet with an alternator on it charging the battery,
as for pollution C°2 and all of those nasty things, it must be really clean,, how do I know that ?,
well Aircraft fuel ( a sort of Paraffin ) is guzzled up by the ton, probably at least one just to taxi out to
the runway and another 50 tons to get you to your destination, it is de-taxed on airports, also there are
no exhaust systems filtering out the naughty gasses so it must be clean, ^-^ and as the government haven't
banned it, then it must be clean !. :D

itsme

Err.....

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

FrankS

Quote from: paulinfrance on August 27, 2017, 19:07:12 pm
Funny,  No one has come up with Paraffin, it's less than 1€ a litre over here, and  turbines run on it,
so you could chuck one under the bonnet with an alternator on it charging the battery,
as for pollution C°2 and all of those nasty things, it must be really clean,,

Didn't Jaguar show a concept hybrid just like this, but part of the issue is that small turbines aren't that efficient, have you seen ho much fuel a jet model uses on a single flight, turbines are better when they are bigger, and very efficient when used in a combined cycle, where the exhaust is used to produce steam for power generation and if on natural gas very clean and about the lowest fossil fuel CO2 emissions possible.

Also i like the smell of a model jet engine running on paraffin, but shoppers in the high street might not be as appreciative  ;D

itsme

Quote from: FrankS on August 28, 2017, 08:22:04 am
Didn't Jaguar show a concept hybrid just like this, but part of the issue is that small turbines aren't that efficient, have you seen ho much fuel a jet model uses on a single flight, turbines are better when they are bigger, and very efficient when used in a combined cycle, where the exhaust is used to produce steam for power generation and if on natural gas very clean and about the lowest fossil fuel CO2 emissions possible.

Also i like the smell of a model jet engine running on paraffin, but shoppers in the high street might not be as appreciative  ;D
Sounds like a good replacement for all those tankers and container ship engines.

FrankS

Here's the original concept car http://www.bladonjets.com/applications/automotive/jaguar-c-x75-concept-case-study/ but Jaguar have updated the concept and the turbines are replaced by a petrol engine, maybe they didn't think the infrastructure was in place for parrafin/kerosine refueling  :''

Gaspin

one would hope that by 2040 car driving will be a thing of the past and transport vehicles will all be autonomous, save for some form of car racing with human drivers to remind us just how poor we are in driving judgement.
Recharging if required would also be autonomous with the vehicle going off to get charged by itself, while the passengers transfer to another autonomous pod to complete the journey. :)

RobC

Quote from: Gaspin on August 29, 2017, 09:37:43 am
one would hope that by 2040 car driving will be a thing of the past and transport vehicles will all be autonomous, save for some form of car racing with human drivers to remind us just how poor we are in driving judgement.
Recharging if required would also be autonomous with the vehicle going off to get charged by itself, while the passengers transfer to another autonomous pod to complete the journey. :)

For me, the scary thing is that there are people who look on this as a desirable future.  I enjoy driving and don't want to be transported like cattle.  Thank (enter favourite fantasy entity here) I probably won't be around to see this possible future!
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

itsme

How about the thousands and thousands of tradesmen transporting goods and tools around? Or wont we need those by then? These ideas are always worked out as if everyone worked in an office...

paulinfrance

Quote from: itsme on August 29, 2017, 10:54:27 am
How about the thousands and thousands of tradesmen transporting goods and tools around? Or wont we need those by then? These ideas are always worked out as if everyone worked in an office...

Do you mean the ones that never turn up, are 4 hours late, are putting a clamp on your car, or are robbing your house ?. :''

itsme

Quote from: paulinfrance on August 29, 2017, 11:27:30 am
Do you mean the ones that never turn up, are 4 hours late, are putting a clamp on your car, or are robbing your house ?. :''
pretty much. Any East Europeans, really.

Michael_Rolls

I remember another vision - back in the 50s - that would  do away with cars. We were all going to have personal sort of mini-helicopters that would enable us to go anywhere we wanted - no more traffic jams, etc.. That worked out well
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

paulinfrance

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on August 29, 2017, 11:37:41 am
I remember another vision - back in the 50s - that would  do away with cars. We were all going to have personal sort of mini-helicopters that would enable us to go anywhere we wanted - no more traffic jams, etc.. That worked out well
Mike

Just as well they never 'arrived'  look at the panic for a couple of drones,, :banghead:

FrankS

Mike

http://workhorse.com/surefly and it's a hybrid too.

IDD15

Mike

The difference here though is the autonomous vehicle vision is being backed up by HUGE amounts of cash.  There was an interesting piece in the Times magazine last Saturday and there are no less than 35 HUGE organisations developing this technology.  There are no doubt more...

I cannot see it NOT happening.  But how will society cope with the mass unemployment that will follow?  Don't think anybody knows.

We live in interesting times, but it was ever thus.  :)
Oooops!

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: FrankS on August 29, 2017, 13:38:26 pm
http://workhorse.com/surefly and it's a hybrid too.

Love it - and who amongst us can't afford a measly $200,000?
Mike

paulinfrance

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on August 29, 2017, 15:55:39 pm
Mike

And so economical and ecological, with a silly little V 8 engine,,,  :nananana:
Order put in with a special box to transport my planes down to the field,,,  ;)

FrankS

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on August 29, 2017, 15:55:39 pm
Mike

And when cars were introduced, how much were they compared to the average wage.

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: FrankS on August 29, 2017, 17:48:00 pm
And when cars were introduced, how much were they compared to the average wage.

Hardly like for like.
Mike

itsme

A 1950 Ford Anglia was £310. I was only seven so I dont know what wages were. In 1969 I was earning a staggering £60 a week (a good wage) and I believe a Mini was £600.

FlyinBrian

Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

itsme

IDD15

Mike

My apologies for quoting Mike again but his words got the old cogs whirring (twas boring at work!) and it struck me that it was not at all surprising personal helicopters and the like would be proposed at that time.  To me the post war years up to the mid sixties really was a golden age in aviation development, there were so many wonderful and different aircraft taking to the skies at that time it must have seemed anything was possible.  So perhaps we should not be too harsh on the "futurologists" of that time. Then I remembered this from earlier in the year.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/07/airbus-reveals-a-modular-self-piloting-flying-car-concept/

There is clearly still a lot of "traction" in the idea/dream, but maybe like Fusion power it is always going to be 30 odd years away!  :)

Anyway my thanks to Mike for making a dull evening at work go a lot quicker!  :af

Also tonight coming home I discovered a severe limitation of Electric cars.  PinF is going to love this!!

Walking across the car park I noticed another car with its bonnet up.  Just as I got to my Leaf the driver came over clutching some wires and asked if I would mind jump starting his engine!   All I could do was apologise and explain being all electric I couldn't help.  All credit to the poor guy though he did see the funny side!   ;D

Oooops!

Michael_Rolls

It's a DRONE! A BIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGG drone!!!
Mike  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

paulinfrance

Quote, from IDD15
   Walking across the car park I noticed another car with its bonnet up.  Just as I got to my Leaf the driver came over clutching some wires and asked if I would mind jump starting his engine!   All I could do was apologise and explain being all electric I couldn't help.  All credit to the poor guy though he did see the funny side!   ;D

he we go,  :-\ all that electricity and you are no use whatever  :-X So did you give him a bump start,,  :co something that wouldn't get you started !  :nananana:

IDD15

This is rather nice, and significantly it can changed back.  But then again why would you when the new version is lighter, faster and probably stops better with regen braking?

Anyway at the least the future is not all bland "bubble cars"!

Enjoy

idd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=610Amyhpzzk

Oooops!

FrankS

Do you think we'll miss the muscle cars when we are all driving glorified milk carts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvk18vx-nrY  :''

paulinfrance

Oh my god, IDD15 what is wrong with you, an Electric E type :-\, I will have nightmares tonight,
I have just looked under the bonnet of my Jag, and it is a V8 so I am happy to say that
I wasn't dreaming,,  :af

IDD15

As reported yesterday:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/paris-petrol-diesel-car-ban-2030-gas-guzzlers-emissions-air-pollution-evs-france-a7996246.html

and even Scotland is getting in on the act:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/100772/scotland-to-ban-petrol-and-diesel-car-sales-by-2032

Actually on our holiday in Scotland this year with the Leaf we found it a brilliant place to run an EV.  Go Scotland!   ;D

Personally I would view it as a crying shame if beautiful and iconic old cars were relegated  to just becoming things that you see in a museum.  Jaguar's elegant reversible solution could be a way forward.

Discuss.

idd

Oooops!

EssJay

Poor old Malcolm Sayer, designer of the E-type must be turning in his grave at the thought of a 'silent' version.
No trees were harmed by this post, but some electrons have been slightly inconvenienced

Gordon W

We have plenty of sound systems available.  Add a more powerful amplifier and you could make it sound like Spitfire, with machine gun sounds for targeting any annoying cycling groups which regularly hold up traffic on country roads.

Dave Lowe

Now a sound system definitely the way to go, I think I'll have a sixties American muscle car throb and grunt on my Citroen C1, Now that would confuse the populace down the village high street......... :ev
Take off optional --- landing essential..