April 01, 2020, 12:33:13 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

April 01, 2020, 12:33:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Fuel Issue

Started by Bad Raven, August 30, 2017, 10:19:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Raven

Its very VERY rare that I have engine issues, but the last two weeks have been unusual, as I have had issues with three engines while using a specific type/make of fuel.

Model Technics Dynaglo 25, from a sealed unused container.  Usual flush through to remove old fuel residue and clean filter before use.

Engines are SC52, Irvine 39, and SC91, all two strokes.

Symptoms were rough running, impossible to find stable run setting, random cuts at idle (stagger and sudden) and when running half throttle in flight.(sudden extremely rough then stagger to stop unable to clear via careful throttle operation)

Good fuel flow, pressurised tank OK. New plugs in all three engines made minimal difference despite one engine's old plug only glowing on battery right back into recess.

Drained and switched to Optifuel 25 heli fuel since had that with me, but this "old" fuel with half headspace in container for some time, def overwintered part used. You'd think this would produce iffy operation if anything.

All three engines now quickly back to normal and easy to set. I actually put the old plugs back in and they STILL continued to operate well.

So they clearly didn't like this fuel, OR I could not determine what settings required, much as I tried......................Odd.....................
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

The Saint. (Owen)

It could just be a settings issue, Optifuel 25 contains 22% lubrication whereas Dynaglo is only 10% lube.
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

Bad Raven

Well, if it is a settings issue, I could not find the setting!!   ;)
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

paulinfrance

I have had the same problem, water in the fuel,,,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

jdquinn

Take the fuel back if recently purchased , it's obviously contaminated with something inhibiting the burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsme

Quote from: paulinfrance on September 01, 2017, 19:44:56 pm
I have had the same problem, water in the fuel,,,
Stick it in the freezer. Then filter the bits of ice out.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

British Victory

Quote from: itsme on February 13, 2018, 09:16:25 am
Stick it in the freezer. Then filter the bits of ice out.

Fuel is methanol similar to many automotive antifreeze liquids. Methanol and water will not separate under freezing conditions.
The only certain way to tell is substitute good fuel. If that works dump the defective stuff.
It doesn't need much water to affect the quality of the fuel.
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

itsme

Quote from: British Victory on February 13, 2018, 11:20:37 am
Fuel is methanol similar to many automotive antifreeze liquids. Methanol and water will not separate under freezing conditions.
The only certain way to tell is substitute good fuel. If that works dump the defective stuff.
It doesn't need much water to affect the quality of the fuel.
Youre probably right. I've not tried it! Best keep glow fuel away from concrete floors if its in a plastic container.

Bad Raven

Guys, the original post was from 6 months ago......................

British Victory

Quote from: Bad Raven on February 17, 2018, 18:00:02 pm
Guys, the original post was from 6 months ago......................

No sh1t  :'', did you sort it in the end and save itsme and I getting the handbags out  :ev ::)
               John

itsme

Quote from: British Victory on February 17, 2018, 18:05:32 pm
No sh1t  :'', did you sort it in the end and save itsme and I getting the handbags out  :ev ::)
You can use your handbag. I have a pickaxe handle.....[emoji41]

Bad Raven

Quote from: British Victory on February 17, 2018, 18:05:32 pm

MMM, what can I say to best stir it...........................

I just threw the fuel away!!

British Victory

Quote from: Bad Raven on February 18, 2018, 19:30:58 pm
MMM, what can I say to best stir it...........................

I just threw the fuel away!!
Well that's OK then, after all it's what her indoors says I do with all the fuel.
               John