Started by itsme, September 20, 2017, 16:07:39 pm
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Quote from: pooh on September 21, 2017, 09:28:12 amsame here, given the write-off value and arranged the repairs myself, for less than the write-off value, so win-win!
Quote from: meharibear on September 21, 2017, 11:26:22 amCareful you keep the van in your custody if you want it fixed. A friend of mine had his Rover 75 damaged a year ago and it was taken to the insurers nominated repair agent. The friend wanted the car repaired but the insurance company kept trying to argue it was beyond economic repair and write it off. After a lot of argument he reached a settlement with the insurers and said "Now give me the car back (as agreed)". However, the nominated repairer had in the meantime sent it to be broken up as they had simply assumed that no one would want their 12 year old car back! Much persistence eventually had the car returned - luckily no parts had been removed, and it was finally repaired.
Quote from: keithl on September 21, 2017, 13:45:09 pmOnce a caravan has suffered even minor damage it will be prone to let in damp - for example there could be unseen cracks in the wooden floor, and you will never get a good seal between the back and side walls without stripping off the inner wall. I would concentrate on finding the cost of a comparable replacement (probably at least £1k for a '93 van in reasonable condition), and dig your heels in for that as a settlement.
Quote from: Bigtradioman on October 04, 2017, 07:27:12 amI had an off side tyre on my 2004 Swift Charisma blow out at 60 mph. At first it looked minor damage but the tyre had punched a hole through the floor. The repair bill was £1800 and took 6 months to sort out. 6 months later we discovered progressive damp issues. My advice is get an estimate from a proper caravan repairers and hope its written off. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote from: itsme on October 04, 2017, 13:02:33 pmJust had an offer from insurance. £1350 if i keep the caravan and £1550 if they take it away. I told them I could not replace it at that price so they asked me to send some proof of price of similar vans and they would look at it again. Watch this space!Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
QuoteYep, my thoughts too. Going to try to hold out for 1.5k. Mind you, I've checked the damage and its superficial. It could be repaired reasonably, but not perfect. Shame as its unmarked apart from that.
Quote from: leccyflyer on October 08, 2017, 09:13:55 amIsn't £1500 what you said you were going to hold out for?
Quote from: itsme on October 08, 2017, 17:06:17 pmYep. That's what they have offered if I scrap the van. Less if i keep it. But I'm not taking the first offer...Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 33 queries.