January 22, 2020, 23:14:31 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 22, 2020, 23:14:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Insurance claims and caravans....

Started by itsme, September 20, 2017, 16:07:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

itsme

Coming back from Binham on Monday I was passing Sandringham when a guy just stopped in front of me. I hit the brakes and was about to give him a blast on my horn when a car came flying in to the back of me. Young woman, not taking care, swerved to avoid me and hit a lamp post. She managed to clip my caravan on the back quarter. Now its an old van, but perfectly serviceable and I want it repaired. First place I took it to just shook their head and said no. Next one said he would send a quote and could certainly do it, so waiting of that, but he did say they may write off the caravan. Anyone had dealings with a claim (obviously not my fault, they have accepted that) for damage like this? I dont want them to come up with some derisory figure and say take it or leave it. The plastic light bracket is £350 before any other work. Its an Elddis Hurricane GTX, 1993. Any advice? I have to send these photos to some engineers who will assess the damage and costs.

smadlo

I had a similar situation a few years ago when somebody drove into the back of an old corsa belonging to my wife. The damage could have been repaired by my normal garage for a couple of hundred pounds but the quote from the insurance assessor was significantly higher than this so the insurance company wanted to write the car off.
Following a conversation with the insurance company they were perfectly willing to settle the claim by paying me the write off value (about £800) and allow me to keep the car and attend to the repairs myself.  This arrangement also meant that the log book was never stamped as an insurance write off.

pooh

same here, given the write-off value and arranged the repairs myself, for less than the write-off value, so win-win!
Confucious he say "more than one aircraft in the same airspace leads to structural failure"

itsme

Quote from: pooh on September 21, 2017, 09:28:12 am
same here, given the write-off value and arranged the repairs myself, for less than the write-off value, so win-win!
Last guy I asked said they may write it off, but to come back to him and he could do it. Dont want to be out of pocket here. Starting to think I should have got out of the car holding my neck....

meharibear

Careful you keep the van in your custody if you want it fixed.  A friend of mine had his Rover 75 damaged a year ago and it was taken to the insurers nominated repair agent.  The friend wanted the car repaired but the insurance company kept trying to argue it was beyond economic repair and write it off.  After a lot of argument he reached a settlement with the insurers and said "Now give me the car back (as agreed)".  However, the nominated repairer had in the meantime sent it to be broken up as they had simply assumed that no one would want their 12 year old car back!  Much persistence eventually had the car returned - luckily no parts had been removed, and it was finally repaired.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

itsme

Quote from: meharibear on September 21, 2017, 11:26:22 am
Careful you keep the van in your custody if you want it fixed.  A friend of mine had his Rover 75 damaged a year ago and it was taken to the insurers nominated repair agent.  The friend wanted the car repaired but the insurance company kept trying to argue it was beyond economic repair and write it off.  After a lot of argument he reached a settlement with the insurers and said "Now give me the car back (as agreed)".  However, the nominated repairer had in the meantime sent it to be broken up as they had simply assumed that no one would want their 12 year old car back!  Much persistence eventually had the car returned - luckily no parts had been removed, and it was finally repaired.
Thats not a problem in this case. Van is in storage and the only quote I am likely to get comes from a good guy, a place I use regularly. Still waiting though....

keithl

Once a caravan has suffered even minor damage it will be prone to let in damp - for example there could be unseen cracks in the wooden floor, and you will never get a good seal between the back and side walls without stripping off the inner wall.  I would concentrate on finding the cost of a comparable replacement (probably at least £1k for a '93 van in reasonable condition), and dig your heels in for that as a settlement.
Warning: objects in the mirror may be close than they appear (or I'm creeping up on you from behind)

itsme

Quote from: keithl on September 21, 2017, 13:45:09 pm
Once a caravan has suffered even minor damage it will be prone to let in damp - for example there could be unseen cracks in the wooden floor, and you will never get a good seal between the back and side walls without stripping off the inner wall.  I would concentrate on finding the cost of a comparable replacement (probably at least £1k for a '93 van in reasonable condition), and dig your heels in for that as a settlement.
Yep, my thoughts too. Going to try to hold out for 1.5k. Mind you, I've checked the damage and its superficial. It could be repaired reasonably, but not perfect. Shame as its unmarked apart from that.

clive_f

i reversed my beloved 1995 Award Daystar into a tree and extensively cracked the rear roof spoiler it also pushed the internal rear cupboard in so I knew that the integral rear cross member was bust.

I took it to my usual van dealer with a fix or no fix question?     No spare parts available , not by us, you could yourself possibly with F/G.

We will give you a write off statement for free if you want to use that with the insurance.

I ummd and ahhed for a while and decided it was to big a job to strip it out to get at the structural member.  I went to the insurance they sent an assessor who was very helpful.  he agreed with my assement   i.e fixable with a  LOT of work and no gaurantee of success.

I had looked up values on e bay and the CC site .

He asked me what I thought it was worth ( cute of him ) so I went to top end and pointed out the additional value of the motor mover thus saying 2 k
He thought that was ok and would put a letter in.

I got 1800   ie less the policy excess and because i asked him to his report was phrased in such a way that I was able to remove the MM so i could sell it privately, which i have not done yet.

they would also have offered a lesser settlement so i could keep and fix the van and they agreed they would re-insure it.
I took the money and ran because as i say it was too much of a job.

I do miss it very much though  it has really buggered up my ability to go round the country looking at boats in an economical way.

Regards Clive

meharibear

One thing to remember if you end up scrapping a van in such circumstances is that lots of people build campervan conversions using second hand panel vans so there is a good market in interiors from damaged caravans for fitting these out.  In addition, some people use the basic caravan chassis to build box vans (for their models etc!) - Thus a "beyond economical repair caravan"  may be worth more than you think!
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

Bigtradioman

I had an off side tyre on my 2004 Swift Charisma blow out at 60 mph. At first it looked minor damage but the tyre had punched a hole through the floor. The repair bill was £1800 and took 6 months to sort out. 6 months later we discovered progressive damp issues. My advice is get an estimate from a proper caravan repairers and hope its written off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

itsme

Quote from: Bigtradioman on October 04, 2017, 07:27:12 am
I had an off side tyre on my 2004 Swift Charisma blow out at 60 mph. At first it looked minor damage but the tyre had punched a hole through the floor. The repair bill was £1800 and took 6 months to sort out. 6 months later we discovered progressive damp issues. My advice is get an estimate from a proper caravan repairers and hope its written off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just had an offer from insurance. £1350 if  i keep the caravan and £1550 if they take it away. I told them I could not replace it at that price so they asked me to send some proof of price of similar vans and they would look at it again. Watch this space!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Michael_Rolls

Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

leccyflyer

Quote from: itsme on October 04, 2017, 13:02:33 pm
Just had an offer from insurance. £1350 if  i keep the caravan and £1550 if they take it away. I told them I could not replace it at that price so they asked me to send some proof of price of similar vans and they would look at it again. Watch this space!

Isn't £1500 what you said you were going to hold out for?  ???

QuoteYep, my thoughts too. Going to try to hold out for 1.5k. Mind you, I've checked the damage and its superficial. It could be repaired reasonably, but not perfect. Shame as its unmarked apart from that.

Nicht mal ein Spitfire kann zur gleichen Zeit im Süden und im Norden sein.

itsme

Quote from: leccyflyer on October 08, 2017, 09:13:55 am
Isn't £1500 what you said you were going to hold out for?  ???
Yep. That's what they have offered if I scrap the van. Less if i keep it. But I'm not taking the first offer...

itsme

Quote from: itsme on October 08, 2017, 17:06:17 pm
Yep. That's what they have offered if I scrap the van. Less if i keep it. But I'm not taking the first offer...

Also you have to remember this is not my fault, I was smacked up the back side by a bird who was not looking where she was going and I have spent at least two full days sorting it out. Not going to make it easy for them, would you?