August 12, 2020, 22:18:37 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

August 12, 2020, 22:18:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Electronic car theft

Started by Michael_Rolls, November 27, 2017, 07:00:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_Rolls

Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

JimG

Just keep your keyfob in a metal box when its in the house.  This blocks the radio signal and the theft can't work.

Jim
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

itsme

Quote from: JimG on November 27, 2017, 10:06:07 am
Just keep your keyfob in a metal box when its in the house.  This blocks the radio signal and the theft can't work.

Jim
What a good idea. Will the microwave do it?

EssJay

November 27, 2017, 10:18:14 am #3 Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:21:57 am by EssJay
Seems the BBC are a bit short on news today, as this has been in the news for the last 6 months or more.
I have keyless entry/start on my car, and for a couple of quid I bought a small RF protection pouch from Amazon, and just pop my key in it when indoors.

It's actually a very similar problem to the contactless credit/debit card cloning scam, and uses a similar method to clone, that's why I also have an RF blocking wallet.
No trees were harmed by this post, but some electrons have been slightly inconvenienced

itsme

Quote from: EssJay on November 27, 2017, 10:18:14 am
Seems the BBC are a bit short on news today, as this has been in the news for the last 6 months or more.
I have keyless entry/start on my car, and for a couple of quid I bought a small RF protection pouch from Amazon, and just pop my key in it when indoors.

It's actually a very similar problem to the credit/debit card cloning scam, and uses a similar method to clone, that's why I also have an RF blocking wallet.
Should the car companies not supply these? For the cost its a bit ha'porth o' tar....

EssJay

Quote from: itsme on November 27, 2017, 10:22:23 am
Should the car companies not supply these? For the cost its a bit ha'porth o' tar....

Totally agree, given the price as you say. However manufacturers are probably working on a more secure system for the future, maybe using an encrypted signal.
No trees were harmed by this post, but some electrons have been slightly inconvenienced

JimG

Quote from: EssJay on November 27, 2017, 10:26:12 am
Totally agree, given the price as you say. However manufacturers are probably working on a more secure system for the future, maybe using an encrypted signal.

Surely these are already using an encrypted signal. The problem is using relays to extend the range of the key which will still work if the signal is encrypted. I have read comments online today saying that these keys can be switched off but many owners don't bother to read the instructions to find out how to do it.

Jim
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

dart16

just how does that defeat the immobiliser or the steering lock....  or don't we get immobilisers anymore? 

What is needed is a way to disable the remote locking so you can lock the car with the key when you leave it overnight and only use the rf keyfob for convenience when out and about, trouble is..the RF receiver is buried somewhere in the car wiring loom and I just can't find it.

EssJay

Why not just fit the key with an on/off switch?

paulinfrance

November 28, 2017, 11:16:09 am #10 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:18:33 am by paulinfrance
I have seen on the tv ( so it must be true :D ) they plug into the diagnostic plug, and recode it, :co then drive it off,
anyway the car manufactures don't give a dam, they are sold aboard or in pieces so it only boosts their sales,,,  :banghead:
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

lanicopter

Current fuel status: "Master Caution"

itsme

I miss the days when we just removed the rotor arm.

keithl

Quote from: paulinfrance on November 28, 2017, 11:16:09 am
I have seen on the tv ( so it must be true :D ) they plug into the diagnostic plug, and recode it, :co then drive it off,
anyway the car manufactures don't give a dam, they are sold aboard or in pieces so it only boosts their sales,,,  :banghead:

Not quite - what they do is programme a new key.  In the case of Mercedes - and several other manufacturers - the key is just a carrier for a radio code chip; there is no physical key that has to be cut to match the tumblers of the ignition lock.

In order to get into the car to access the diagnostic port, they need the radio signature of the key, so they have a box that simulates the car asking "WHO ARE YOU" and then capture the key's response and play it back to the car.

A friend has his nearly new BMW stolen earlier this year - he thinks that his local car valeting firm copied his physical key whilst cleaning it, and then tracked down where he lives to steal the car.
Warning: objects in the mirror may be close than they appear (or I'm creeping up on you from behind)

paulinfrance

Yes that sounds right, if one day I was out of my mind enough to buy a BMW, :-\ I would wish that
they would steal it, have you the addressee of the car wash ?.
Mode 2 THE only way to fly