RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 13, 2019, 12:36:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Emergency deadstick flameout with Giant scale Hawker Hunter jet

Started by DominicM, March 03, 2018, 12:23:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DominicM

Sure it takes skill to fly a turbine RC jet...but it takes even more skill and experience to be able to deal with things when they go wrong. Here Mick Burrell's Hawker Hunter suffers an engine flameout part way through its demonstration flight at the Southern Model Show. Other RC pilots would panic...

Subscribe for UK Show coverage...
YouTube - Essential RC

SteveBB

Quote from: DominicM on March 03, 2018, 12:23:23 pm
Sure it takes skill to fly a turbine RC jet...but it takes even more skill and experience to be able to deal with things when they go wrong. Here Mick Burrell's Hawker Hunter suffers an engine flameout part way through its demonstration flight at the Southern Model Show. Other RC pilots would panic...

Why? It's a glider with an engine in it. JohnMac on here did the same at Elvington I understand. But then he flies big scale gliders too. :)
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Phil_G

Quote from: DominicM on March 03, 2018, 12:23:23 pmHere Mick Burrell's Hawker Hunter suffers an engine flameout part way through its demonstration flight at the Southern Model Show. Other RC pilots would panic...

As Steve says, a complete non-event. I think you should try PSS Dom ;D 

paulinfrance

Mode 2 THE only way to fly

itsme

Quote from: paulinfrance on March 03, 2018, 18:04:20 pm
Here we go again, nothing on my pages,,,  :''
Don't worry. Nothing to see here. Man lands model with no motive power. Ho hum

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

f3fman

SteveBB

Quote from: itsme on March 03, 2018, 19:29:50 pm
Don't worry. Nothing to see here. Man lands model with no motive power. Ho hum

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

:uk:
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

itsme

Quote from: SteveBB on March 04, 2018, 05:08:27 am

:uk:
Love it. I know Mick, hes a good pilot, but come on...its like the things Dave Bishop used to say. "hes on fire!" (bit of smoke) "its an emergency!!" (dead engine)

itsme

Quote from: itsme on March 04, 2018, 08:21:59 am
Love it. I know Mick, hes a good pilot, but come on...its like the things Dave Bishop used to say. "hes on fire!" (bit of smoke) "its an emergency!!" (dead engine)
Incidentally, Dave Johnson has had so many flame outs dead sticks and fires with the Vulcan that I reckoned he was doing it for effect...... :ev

paulinfrance

JohnP

Yes Paul - that's the video that Dom posted.  I wonder why you don't see it!
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

paulinfrance

DominicM

Personally, I think that was a superlative bit of flying. I get that a simulated deadstick is part of the A cert. But achieving it with a turbine jet in front of a big crowd is a bit different to doing it with a Wot 4 down your local club.
Subscribe for UK Show coverage...
YouTube - Essential RC

itsme

Quote from: DominicM on March 05, 2018, 19:05:39 pm
Personally, I think that was a superlative bit of flying. I get that a simulated deadstick is part of the A cert. But achieving it with a turbine jet in front of a big crowd is a bit different to doing it with a Wot 4 down your local club.
As I said, Mick is a good pilot. And that is a big expensive jet. But in front of a crowd? That really does not matter, as the fact you are landing with a dead engine focuses the mind on that, not people. Had a few dead sticks in front of a crowd myself, including Cosford. I think he would be totally concerned with getting it down in one piece...as said above, anyone who is worried about a dead stick should go slope soaring, where every landing is dead. Thats not denigrating our Mr Burrell, its a fact of model flying.

PDR

The aeroplane had lots of height & speed, and a large landing area, so it was (as people said) a pretty routine dead-stick. If you wanted "heroic" flying then you might consider one of our F3D racing chaps who suffered an aileron servo failure at the start of lap 8 during a europa cup race meeting at Nordheim (probably 1994ish). Not only did he get the aeroplane down intact in a rather restricted field, but he finished the race with a personal best before he did...

That's real flying.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

itsme

Quote from: Alan Smithie on March 06, 2018, 09:50:19 am
The aeroplane had lots of height & speed, and a large landing area, so it was (as people said) a pretty routine dead-stick. If you wanted "heroic" flying then you might consider one of our F3D racing chaps who suffered an aileron servo failure at the start of lap 8 during a europa cup race meeting at Nordheim (probably 1994ish). Not only did he get the aeroplane down intact in a rather restricted field, but he finished the race with a personal best before he did...

That's real flying.

PDR
Steve Holland is another- flying a large biplane and the elevator died. He brought the model in knife edge to just above ground level and made an untidy, but safe, landing!