January 22, 2020, 22:51:37 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 22, 2020, 22:51:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Buying new cars online

Started by martinw, March 14, 2018, 17:44:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

martinw

Just wondering, has anyone got experience of using online car sales sites? Been looking at Carwow and Drivethedeal, they don't appear to offer much of a deal?

Bustergrunt

March 16, 2018, 08:55:32 am #1 Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:34:34 pm by Bustergrunt
Years ago I bought a new focus estate through virgin cars, saved approx 30% off the uk price, came on a low loader direct from the factory in Germany built to my exact spec
I must get out more...

PDR

The likes of carnow are looking to make money from the gullible - avoid like the plague. Any 2nd-hand car sales process which looks to inhibit your opportunity to examine, test and have independent of the car before committing to buy it must be viewed as dodgy until proven otherwise. This must be inherently true of this kind of operation. The honest margins in 2nd-hand cars are small. If you add up the costs of what these people do (moving cars around the country, heavy TV advertising etc) over and above the typical outlet you soon see that they MUST be overpricing their cars just to be in business. In most cases their "network of expert dealers" from whom they source the cars are just an affiliation network whose mark-up must be added to the costs as well...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

itsme

Quote from: Alan Smithie on March 16, 2018, 09:06:23 am
The likes of carnow are looking to make money from the gullible - avoid like the plague. Any 2nd-hand car sales process which looks to inhibit your opportunity to examine, test and have independent of the car before committing to buy it must be viewed as dodgy until proven otherwise. This must be inherently true of this kind of operation. The honest margins in 2nd-hand cars are small. If you add up the costs of what these people do (moving cars around the country, heavy TV advertising etc) over and above the typical outlet you soon see that they MUST be overpricing their cars just to be in business. In most cases their "network of expert dealers" from whom they source the cars are just an affiliation network whose mark-up must be added to the costs as well...

PDR
It was our great grandfathers who came up with 'never buy a pig in a poke' .......

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

meharibear

Well the heading said "Buying NEW cars on line" but most replies seem to address used cars?  To answer the original question, my Dad bought a new car from "Brokers 4 Cars" a few years ago and was delighted with the deal.  He got a 15% saving on a new car built to his spec and supplied by a main dealer.  It was trailered to his door and his old one taken away in PX (at a price he was pleased with) on the same trailer.  It was serviced with no problems by a local approved dealer.  I recently changed my car and was intending to buy via "Drive the Deal" or "Carwow" either a new "in stock" car or a pre-reg nominally zero miles vehicle - However, by chance I found an even better pre-reg deal locally; only 28 miles on the clock - and went for that; a 40% discount on a very nice car can't be bad!
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

paulinfrance

In my club 3 of the members regularly buy them from the internet sites with from 18% to 34% off and
only one had a problem from 'Aramis' and got a full refund, at my local garage I will be lucky if I
get 10% off,,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

PDR

From that ad it's clear that they give the big discounts to get shot of the ones with serious faults - like the one in the photo where you can see that some idiot at the factory has bolted the steering wheel in front of the wrong seat. Speaks volumes for the thoroughness of their inspectors...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

itsme

Quote from: Alan Smithie on March 18, 2018, 10:30:26 am
From that ad it's clear that they give the big discounts to get shot of the ones with serious faults - like the one in the photo where you can see that some idiot at the factory has bolted the steering wheel in front of the wrong seat. Speaks volumes for the thoroughness of their inspectors...

PDR
That's for left-handed people. Usually they cost 10% more

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

PDR

It could be, or perhaps it's some mode-1 abomination (rudder on the left seat and throttle on the right)

PDR

paulinfrance

Quote from: Alan Smithie on March 18, 2018, 10:30:26 am

PDR

No, it's an 'anti cyclist' one, you can aim more accurately at them on the country roads,,,

martinw

Called into my local dealer today, got offered £1500 lower price than the best on Carwow...

keithl

Franchised dealers are nearly always keen to do a deal - especially just before the end of a quarter when they are looking at volume based bonuses.  Go in armed with your quote from the online sites and see what they have on offer - it is worth an hour of your time for such a large purchase.

When we purchased our current car 2 years ago, the salesperson said "just a minute, I need to speak to my manager" then the manager came over and knocked about 10% off before we had even asked, and then on asking, knocked a bit more off.

It also helps if you are prepared to take what they have in stock (within that dealer group) and are prepared to compromise on colour or options.
Warning: objects in the mirror may be close than they appear (or I'm creeping up on you from behind)

paulinfrance

Quote from keith,

and then on asking, knocked a bit more off.

the time it took him to take the spare out of the boot,,,  :D

meharibear

March 19, 2018, 14:20:43 pm #13 Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 14:22:25 pm by meharibear
Quote from: paulinfrance on March 19, 2018, 12:07:32 pm
Quote from keith,

One final reason I bought my car was that when I looked there WAS a spare wheel in the boot!  Added to the massive discount and the fact I like it there was no reason not to buy!  And there was the little voice of Dave Bishop whispering in my ear "And it's British you know"!!
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

EssJay

Quote from: meharibear on March 19, 2018, 14:20:43 pm
  "And it's British you know"!

And a wholely owned subsidiary of 'Tata Motors' (India) [emoji6]
No trees were harmed by this post, but some electrons have been slightly inconvenienced

paulinfrance

Quote from: meharibear on March 19, 2018, 14:20:43 pm
  One final reason I bought my car was that when I looked there WAS a spare wheel in the boot!  Added to the massive discount and the fact I like it there was no reason not to buy!  And there was the little voice of Dave Bishop whispering in my ear "And it's British you know"!

I would like one in the estate version, but they are gold plated over here,,, starting from 45.000€ plus the insurance,,,  :-\

meharibear

Quote from: EssJay on March 19, 2018, 16:27:07 pm
And a wholely owned subsidiary of 'Tata Motors' (India) [emoji6]
Yes but designed by Brits and made by Brits (mostly) in the UK.  Unlike every other car I have owned since 1974.  So far this appears to be a good thing, but only time will tell.

martinw

Sadly mine will be coming from the land of the Rising Sun as the UK has lost the art of making affordable two-seaters.

paulinfrance

Quote from: martinw on March 19, 2018, 21:09:15 pm
Sadly mine will be coming from the land of the Rising Sun as the UK has lost the art of making affordable two-seaters.

Lol, " affordable two-seaters " you get what you pay for, and it doesn't matter how much
you polish it, it will still be Japanese,  :-X  and won't turn into a Jaguar,,  :''

keithl

Quote from: paulinfrance on March 19, 2018, 12:07:32 pm
Quote from keith,

and then on asking, knocked a bit more off.

Actually, and surprisingly, it was a stock order and has a full size spare wheel - not even a space saver.  It is even in a colour that was on our short list.

They also had a deal on at the time, whereby if we funded it through their captive credit company, the credit company would make a contribution to the deposit that roughly equated to the interest on the loan.  Having secured this, we told him that we were putting down £2k more than the minimum deposit, so the contribution from the finance company actually exceeded the interest for the period.
Warning: objects in the mirror may be close than they appear (or I'm creeping up on you from behind)

itsme

Quote from: keithl on March 20, 2018, 09:49:18 am
Actually, and surprisingly, it was a stock order and has a full size spare wheel - not even a space saver.  It is even in a colour that was on our short list.

They also had a deal on at the time, whereby if we funded it through their captive credit company, the credit company would make a contribution to the deposit that roughly equated to the interest on the loan.  Having secured this, we told him that we were putting down £2k more than the minimum deposit, so the contribution from the finance company actually exceeded the interest for the period.
about what you would expect from a treasurer!  ;D

paulinfrance

I was looking at a new 308 SW but with the sound option ◾Pack Hi-Fi DENON,No spare wheel, and
at 510€,,, :''  so the subwoofer will only give you anything is when the boot is empty,,  :banghead:

martinw

Quote from: paulinfrance on March 20, 2018, 07:42:41 am
   and won't turn into a Jaguar,,  :''

which is Indian...

We buy that which we can afford

martinw

Speaking of Japanese, the last Japanese car I had came with a British built engine and was assembled in Spain...

paulinfrance

March 21, 2018, 07:45:23 am #24 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:46:49 am by paulinfrance
Quote from: martinw on March 20, 2018, 20:58:52 pm
which is Indian...

We buy that which we can afford

Not mine it was built in England,,,  :uk: In 2001,,,

martinw

Quote from: paulinfrance on March 21, 2018, 07:45:23 am
Not mine it was built in England,,,  :uk: In 2001,,,

That makes it a Ford then!  :ev

paulinfrance

Quote from: martinw on March 21, 2018, 19:02:59 pm
That makes it a Ford then!  :ev

Yes the ignition key looks like one, but are you sure about the  v 8 4.0l engine ?  the gearbox is German,,

martinw

Quote from: paulinfrance on March 21, 2018, 19:18:44 pm
but are you sure about the  v 8 4.0l engine ?  the gearbox is German,,

Well to be honest a 4 litre V8 does sound like something the Americans would fit in a car

paulinfrance

Quote from: martinw on March 21, 2018, 20:10:35 pm
Well to be honest a 4 litre V8 does sound like something the Americans would fit in a car

No, Jaguars  were classed as a luxury sports cars  :co and there's nothing like it cruising with the top down,, :af,,

martinw

I will soon be able to cruise with the top down for half the price!

Probably half the petrol too...

JohnP

Quote from: martinw on March 20, 2018, 21:05:15 pm
Speaking of Japanese, the last Japanese car I had came with a British built engine and was assembled in Spain...

My current "Japanese" car was built in Derbyshire.  Apparently that particular model is only built there,  they even export them to Japan...  ???

My previous car - a Ford - was, I think, built in Belgium and the "British" Vauxhall I had before that was built in Germany.
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

Michael_Rolls

Are any cars built in China for here? Everything else seems to be 'Made in China'
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

FrankS

MGs are now built in China, but I think they are the only ones, I don't think the chinese motor industry has enough capacity to satisfy their home market at the moment, so exports are limited and also most of their current range don't meet EU standards. Western manufacturers have set up production lines in China but that is to produce models to sell there.

martinw

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on March 23, 2018, 05:11:23 am
Are any cars built in China for here? Everything else seems to be 'Made in China'
Mike

All cars probably contain a substantial number of Chinese-made bits, particularly in the electronics

Michael_Rolls

Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

keithl

Quote from: paulinfrance on March 21, 2018, 19:18:44 pm
Yes the ignition key looks like one, but are you sure about the  v 8 4.0l engine ?  the gearbox is German,,

Quote from: martinw on March 21, 2018, 20:10:35 pm

Made in the Ford engine factory in Bridgend, South Wales.  Also used in Range Rovers of a similar vintage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

paulinfrance

Thanks kiethl, I was frightened to lift the bonnet only to see Hobby King, Turnigy or Banggood on it. :-\

martinw

Quote from: keithl on March 25, 2018, 17:43:31 pm
Made in the Ford engine factory in Bridgend, South Wales.  Also used in Range Rovers of a similar vintage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

So it definitely is a Ford then!