January 24, 2020, 17:24:25 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 24, 2020, 17:24:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Phone to Car apps

Started by martinw, March 25, 2018, 13:57:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

martinw

Been reading through the online manuals for the car I am buying, it mentions connecting the phone to the car's entertainment system, not just for Bluetooth hands-free calls, but to use phone apps such as Aha and Stitcher to allow online music, audiobooks and social media stuff to be piped from the phone into the car system. Just wondering whether anyone here has experience of using this sort of stuff and whether it is worth pursuing?

meharibear

Quote from: martinw on March 25, 2018, 13:57:06 pm
Been reading through the online manuals for the car I am buying, it mentions connecting the phone to the car's entertainment system, not just for Bluetooth hands-free calls, but to use phone apps such as Aha and Stitcher to allow online music, audiobooks and social media stuff to be piped from the phone into the car system. Just wondering whether anyone here has experience of using this sort of stuff and whether it is worth pursuing?
Being a careful pensioner, I would say that it is worthwhile if it allows free apps like Spotify or whatever paid apps (like iTunes) you may already have to work but if you suddenly find you are paying yet another subscription just use the car radio - I expect it will have an umpteen station DAB set up if it is newish.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

PDR

I let my phone connect to the car for hands-free calls, but I don't let it synchronise the contacts list and I don't let it use the phone for internet access. The first I regard as a security issue and the latter I regard as giving someone else a license to spend my money. I can allow the car to connect to my phone just as a memory device, but if I do that it won't give me the hands-free function (on my car it's one or the other - not both). So I let the phone function as a hands-free system over the bluetooth connection, and I have a 64Gb usb stick plugged into the USB ("Aux") input.

The memory stick has my entire music collection, >100 episodes of ISIHAC, the complete "This Sceptred Isle" series, half a dozen Sharpe audio books, the entire HHGTTG (all five books) and dozens of other assorted recordings. That removes any need I might have for me to allow any of those money-grubbing ripoff merchants (iTunes etc) access to my wallet.

Seemples,

PDR

There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...