September 25, 2020, 09:05:20 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

September 25, 2020, 09:05:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Care of fabric roofs

Started by martinw, April 02, 2018, 21:24:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

martinw

I have always had cars with steel roofs previously, but now have a folding fabric top. I am looking for advice on the best way to clean and generally care for the fabric? Can anyone recommend products and procedures to keep it in good condition?

Thanks,

Martin

paulinfrance

A good scrub with washing up liquid and I gave my car a coat of this, the water runs off it,,,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

British Victory

If it's a canvas roof, use a jetwash, if it's synthetic you can be nearly as aggressive if it's mohair or similar, clean all the seams with milton, use fabsil cleaner to clean, follow their instructions then seal it with fabsil gold. ALWAYS do it on a warm day.
If seagull crap is a problem, milton with a toothbrush. My 2001 TT is on it's original roof and following the guidelines above it is sealed and water beads on it.
If the roof is power driven then, periodically, get into the jacking threads and lub them with a teflon based greased, check the condition of the threads as any breakages = mega £s. Also check the condition of the toothed belt that synchronises the jack threads renewal periodically is a good idea.
This assumes that your roof operates an a similar fashion to mine.
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

martinw

Thanks guys, I will look up the stuff you suggest. Mine is a manual raise and lower one, so I don't need to worry about any mechanical drive machinery.

paulinfrance

Quote from: martinw on April 03, 2018, 20:43:24 pm
Thanks guys, I will look up the stuff you suggest. Mine is a manual raise and lower one, so I don't need to worry about any mechanical drive machinery.

You need some 'elbow grease' 
Mode 2 THE only way to fly