January 22, 2020, 22:17:31 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 22, 2020, 22:17:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Driving Standards

Started by Bad Raven, April 12, 2018, 16:38:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Raven

A collection of driving school car shot incidents by one DI. 

Increasingly seeing similar here, with the addition of particularly (not that much featured here) head on driving at each other on urban side roads incapable of coping with opposing SUVs in the space left after solid parking with no gaps on both sides, fastest "wins".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d070bFj4VxY
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

Brian Cooper

There is never a police car around when you want one, eh...

B.C.

Michael_Rolls

Only looked at the first seven minutes or so (dog and I were hungry!) but sadly nothing out of the ordinary - which shows how bad the ordinary can be. One thing that always annoys me - the two drivers who - without causing any danger or difficulty for other road users, went through a red light to let an ambulance pass. Crazily, that means they broke the law and would be liable for prosecution - and numerous drivers have been prosecuted for doing just that.
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

itsme

You are not supposed to do anything illegal to help ambulances, although the one where a guy went in to a bus lane to let one past should never have been prosecuted. After watching that vid, if I were learning to drive around there, I would just forget it...

antonnick

..but it is also illegal to hinder Ambulances displaying the blue light........ $%& so the motorist can never win
Sicher, kann ich fliegen!
I am not a "guy" and I was never a "kid".

lanicopter

am I the only one who didn't like the attitude of the driving instructor at times? Doesn't exactly sound like a patient person in some cases lol
Current fuel status: "Master Caution"

EssJay

Bit like a past work colleague who once said he'd never had an accident, but had 'seen' hundreds......hmmmm!
No trees were harmed by this post, but some electrons have been slightly inconvenienced

paulinfrance

That's a 'tame' video, same over here all of the time except in the south if France, no indicators,,

Think yourselves lucks that you don't live in Russia,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaCmKgP_MTY
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

mogman

Normal for around here,
Red lights, speed limits and stop signs are merely suggestions. Turn signals..why bother? we're all mind readers, we know what you're going to do?

Michael_Rolls

The people I love are those who approach a roundabout from your right and therefore have right of way. They presumably know that they are going to turn left, but why bother to signal so that you can move off that bit earlier. OTOH, perhaps they are simply trying to reinforce what my driving instructor (retired police instructor) told me - 'Never trust an indicator unless you see it go on - and even then be careful!'
Mike

SteveBB

April 13, 2018, 15:49:24 pm #10 Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 15:52:15 pm by SteveBB
There's only one place that I would rate as driving worse than here in Sacramento (Recently voted to having the worst drivers in America-I don't doubt it) and that was Northern Italy around Milan.

I have no idea what it is, lack of ability, lack of training (Just enough to be able to separate the brake and accelerator pedals) or a general don't give a sod attitude; But the 'normal' method is to ignore anything either behind and to the side, and only concentrate on anything three yards and less in front of the bonnet badge (Usual gap left between each other at 80mph on the freeways). Around the streets in the city, most drive without any forward planning, any pretence at anticipation or consideration to anyone else (But that's universal really).

Racing after someone who has cut you up (and that is all the time) is mandatory so that getting within a yard of their back bumper will really show em who's boss. Needless to say I haven't applied to get my US driving licence, it just scares the hell out of me to imagine being behind the wheel. So I depend on my wife, who doesn't like it, but she's conditioned to drive like the rest of the wacky racers..

Although, she does leave a much bigger gap behind the car in front since I moved over, probably because of my nagging her. I had never before been scared of being a passenger in a vehicle until she drove us to Santa Cruz, after which I seriously considered coming back to Sac via train.  But we had a 'discussion' and agreed that me having a heart attack might not be a good thing and returning home was slightly less traumatic.
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Michael_Rolls

I guess a lot of the bad driving - over and above pure incompetence/lack of consideration - is exacerbated by the level of traffic involved. Until we came up here all my driving had been in the home counties - other than holidays in France - including central London and I regarded it as the norm. Up here, even in Glasgow and Edinburgh life seemed easier . The levels of incompetence/lack of consideration were much the same, but the density was lower than I was used to, so no problem.
After we had been up here about three years we did a tour of relatives 'darn sarf'  - Staffs, Surrey, Kent, and Hereford and once in the Surrey bit - much of it really south London nowadays - I was appalled at the aggression on display. Three days of putting up with it and I realised that I was driving just as aggressively as everyone else (but aggression and lack of consideration don't go totally hand in hand)
Mike

itsme

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on April 13, 2018, 17:46:48 pm
I guess a lot of the bad driving - over and above pure incompetence/lack of consideration - is exacerbated by the level of traffic involved. Until we came up here all my driving had been in the home counties - other than holidays in France - including central London and I regarded it as the norm. Up here, even in Glasgow and Edinburgh life seemed easier . The levels of incompetence/lack of consideration were much the same, but the density was lower than I was used to, so no problem.
After we had been up here about three years we did a tour of relatives 'darn sarf'  - Staffs, Surrey, Kent, and Hereford and once in the Surrey bit - much of it really south London nowadays - I was appalled at the aggression on display. Three days of putting up with it and I realised that I was driving just as aggressively as everyone else (but aggression and lack of consideration don't go totally hand in hand)
Mike
I think the level of aggression goes up exponentially during rush 'hour' - which is at least two - and perfectly safe, normal drivers get the red mist. My peeve is the driver who  indicates right to go on to the roundabout and is still indicating right as they turn off....left.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Bad Raven

And this is the quality of driver getting hold of extremely high power tesla's..........................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43934504
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

Michael_Rolls

April 29, 2018, 05:48:46 am #14 Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 05:49:50 am by Michael_Rolls
Totally and utterly stupid and irresponsible. I see that he was banned for 18 months - I'd have banned him for life.
Mike

Michael_Rolls

Just had another look at the video. Not only is he sitting in the passenger seat - he seems to be reading! Just what on earth was going through what passes for his brain?I would not only have banned him for life - I'd have sent him to prison for a decent stretch. The man isn't fit to be out in society.
Mike

paulinfrance

Can we use four letter words on this forum to air our thoughts,,,

Yesterday was another 'death defying' ride on my motor bike on French roads,
drivers going all the way around the roundabout on the outside lane, and the second time ( in 3 klm/s )
a small white van driver on his phone went straight across the roundabout, from the right lane,
to the centre and back again,, did he even see that it was a roundabout ?. :banghead:

itsme

Quote from: paulinfrance on April 29, 2018, 06:37:05 am
Can we use four letter words on this forum to air our thoughts,,,

Yesterday was another 'death defying' ride on my motor bike on French roads,
drivers going all the way around the roundabout on the outside lane, and the second time ( in 3 klm/s )
a small white van driver on his phone went straight across the roundabout, from the right lane,
to the centre and back again,, did he even see that it was a roundabout ?. :banghead:
Normal for France from what I have seen.

half throttle

Quote from: itsme on April 29, 2018, 07:51:38 am
Normal for France from what I have seen.

We compare near misses when we've been into Limoges.
'Concerning myself with the reasoning processes of your cerebral cortex is notably absent from my tables of consideration at this juncture'

PDR

TBH these are all pretty mild. Places in the world where I refuse to drive include cities in Egypt, KSA, Oman, Russia, Colombia (anywhere, not just the cities), Brazil and India. China can be quite bad, but it's only slightly worse than the rush hour in Milan or Turin - probably made worse by the vast number of bicycles*.

People who abuse the Tesla "autopilot" should just be flayed, rolled in salt & vinegar, left for a few hours to marinade and then slowly fed feet-first into a meat grinder. Anything more would risk accusations of extremism. But I do think they are just stupid individuals rather than it being a general case for all tesla owners. People who buy teslas clearly have more money than sense, but they are not inherently completely brainless.

PDR

* For those that didn't know - china has a number of bike-sharing schemes similar to the "Boris Bike" scheme, but they got the sums badly wrong. Manufacturers were paid to produce far more bikes than were ever needed (by 2 orders of magnitude) and now china suffers from a big "fly-tipping" problem with the dumped bikes, plus vast scrapyards full of nothing but surplus bikes (see here
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: PDR on April 29, 2018, 12:06:11 pm

People who abuse the Tesla "autopilot" should just be flayed, rolled in salt & vinegar, left for a few hours to marinade and then slowly fed feet-first into a meat grinder.
PDR

You old softy, you! I can think of MUCH worse punishments - like being made to watch Eastenders or the like
Mike

PDR

Quote from: Michael_Rolls on April 29, 2018, 12:09:27 pm
You old softy, you! I can think of MUCH worse punishments - like being made to watch Eastenders or the like

Cruel and unusual punishments are prohibited by the Article 3 of the ECHR, so we won't be able to do that until after next March at the earliest.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Bad Raven

Quote from: PDR on April 29, 2018, 12:06:11 pm
Places in the world where I refuse to drive include cities in Egypt

While negotiating "rush hour" (allegedly all 24/7 of it) in Cairo just after arrival early p.m, we were near missed by a lorry with cattle loaded crossways jammed head/tail/head/tail, heads sticking well out the sides. WHY we were near missed was that the driver was swerving around to get alongside a lorry load of  bananas and indeterminate vegetation so his cattle could have a free feed.   Having "done" heads on one side, etc, etc...............

We lost count of the number of taxis at the side of the road with collapsed suspension, etc being arc welded back together (without of course shields).   I think most scrappies over here would have refused them.

Traffic was 10 plus vehicles wide at some points, all heading in slightly differing directions.

So scary it was in fact quite funny....................

Even leaving Cairo was somewhat scary, the hotel driver kept foot to floor, never stopping for anything, lurched to a stop at the terminal departure doors, grabbed our cases from the boot, walked us straight past a damn great long booking in queue, removing a barrier, plonked them into the conveyor, said something to the check in girl, who then without a second glance printed boarding passes, labelled the cases, and we were on our way through before the hate building up behind spilled over ...........

Not found the need to go back...................................   ;D

Least said about Caracas the better...............................  :o

dart16

Quote from: Bad Raven on April 28, 2018, 20:53:30 pm
And this is the quality of driver getting hold of extremely high power tesla's..........................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43934504

Watch out for a firmware update for the Tesla which will monitor the drivers seat sensor to not only activate the 'seat belt' alarm but prevent the car from moving unless there is a driver present!

Bad Raven

Can we have a firmware update that ejects the driver with LEO escape velocity please.

keithl

The worst place that I have driven is Rome, where it is said that a red light is "a matter of opinion".

Cairo is as Bad Raven described, except that the traffic is so congested that you never get over 5mph so the idiots are more avoidable.  I was there for work, and the local factory provided a car and driver - who was armed!
Warning: objects in the mirror may be close than they appear (or I'm creeping up on you from behind)

Bad Raven

Not driven in Rome but have been there several times, and always astounded that when someone wants to cross a busy central Rome road, they just do.......no waiting, little warning, they just turn and cross........and everything stops and waits.   :o

paulinfrance

Quote from: Bad Raven on May 01, 2018, 15:21:04 pm
Not driven in Rome but have been there several times, and always astounded that when someone wants to cross a busy central Rome road, they just do.......no waiting, little warning, they just turn and cross........and everything stops and waits.   :o

The same in France, it's ALWAYS the drivers fault !. it's French law,,

It's probably due to the French being 'sheep',,,  :''