August 15, 2020, 02:14:50 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

August 15, 2020, 02:14:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Accident Damage

Started by Bad Raven, July 04, 2018, 17:00:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Raven

It is a long LONG while since I have seen a "classic" car involved in an accident on the road.

Today there had been a three car shunt on a roundabout entry, and while I didn't rubber neck so have no idea what the front car was or its damage, the rear car had seriously rear ended the middle one.

No big deal?  The rear car with extensive front end damage was an Alpha Romeo "Montreal" from the early 70's. They had partial louvres over the headlights to keep the low bonnet looking smooth, these being retractable.

All trashed.

Decent standard examples are £75-110k in the UK.  That is seriously going to hurt someone's pocket and I suspect body panels are only hand made now?
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

SteveBB

Did Alpha's of that era have brakes as an option?
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Gaspin

Quote from: SteveBB on July 04, 2018, 20:31:07 pm
Did Alpha's of that era have brakes as an option?

Brakes were optional, in part a function of the drivers IQ, rust however was not optional but compulsorily   :study:

Bad Raven

I have had brakes fail on a car.  Not pleasant.

On a straight country quite wide  road, hedged both sides I was doing around 55mph, when it all went pear shaped.

Ahead, a tractor with large trailer appeared suddenly at a set back gate access from the field opposite, hidden by the high hedge, but drove straight out. Two cars coming the other way swerved round it, straight into my path, and I suddenly had no road left.

I hit the brake hard, and they failed. (They were split circuit but front/rear not diagonal). The car was a Neal Davis Racing Ltd rally prepared Stage III Austin 1800 (bored 2100, Webers, etc). Flying Land Crabs were not renowned for their handbrake quality, though these had been worked on.

In the distance available I was not going to  going to stop the car on rear brakes even handbrake assisted, but luckily the road had a decent kerb, so I destroyed the two nearside tyres side walls, but stopped.

A rigid brake pipe had scurfed through where it went through a grommeted hole in the front wing, which had been missed on the MOT a few weeks before, apart from my checks, as it was invisible passing through a double skinned section. 

The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

paulinfrance

Wasn't their a Jaguar publicity, proudly stating that it goes that fast that even its brakes wont stop it  ^-^
Mode 2 THE only way to fly