RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

October 24, 2020, 15:55:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Quotes from a report into a plane crash and death of pilot.

Started by Bad Raven, August 12, 2018, 07:04:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Raven

From a while ago but just seen.

The (light twin) aircraft bounced on landing and a go-around was initiated," said the report.  "At some stage during the touchdown, the right engine propeller blades contacted the runway."

The pilot went for a go-around but after climbing out to "approx 150 feet" it spun in violently, stated to the right.

and then this:-

"The weather was fine and there were no problems with the aircraft said the report."

So it had a prop strike but there were "no problems", seems very unlikely!!

The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

JohnP

I guess they meant there were no problems with the aircraft prior to the prop strike.

But that's one hell of a "bounce on landing" if a prop on a twin strikes the ground...
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?

meharibear

I suppose that depends on the twin!  For example I remember Dad telling me a few years ago that the main legs on the Beagle 206 (remember them) were so short that fast taxiing at Heathrow and other major airports could result in a prop strike as the taxiway rain gutters were all designed with large airliners in mind.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

PDR

Gosh - thread necrophilia!

In an accident report the phrase "no problem with the aeroplane" always means "no pre-existing problems". It's quite easy to deduce what happened here - the stbd engine suffered a prop-strike and then the driver tried a go-around, but the stbd engine produced reduced thrust due to damage sustained in the prop-strike. The aeroplane would have been well below Vmca so an uncontrollable yaw into the damaged engine followed by an asymmetric stall was inevitable.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...