RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

August 15, 2020, 03:25:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Could this be the answer to charging electric cars?

Started by Michael_Rolls, August 15, 2018, 05:33:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_Rolls

Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

paulinfrance

I remember my science teacher telling us in the 60's that a car could already run on water,, and pigs will fly,,  :D

I will spare you the MP video of sheep,,,  :''
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Brian Cooper

If this story is true, it will definitely be a game changer for electric vehicles.  :af

B.C.

Bad Raven

Well, they did say the Whisky industry up there was in decline................................
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

itsme

Are we going to get electric model flyers filling tanks using hand pumps just like glow and petrol?  ^-^

Bad Raven

I'm more interested in the whole cycle costs, money and pollution.

How much energy spent in getting the metal oxide constructed and in the correct state?  Transportation?  Disposal arrangements (imagine every car on our roads doing this)?

We get all these wonder products waved at us but usually little or nothing about any assessment of the REAL costs.
The user formerly know as Bravedan........... Well if Prince can do it....................

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: Bad Raven on August 15, 2018, 07:13:49 am
I'm more interested in the whole cycle costs, money and pollution.

How much energy spent in getting the metal oxide constructed and in the correct state?  Transportation?  Disposal arrangements (imagine every car on our roads doing this)?

We get all these wonder products waved at us but usually little or nothing about any assessment of the REAL costs.

Must say there is no comment on all that in the article.
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

FrankS

August 15, 2018, 09:12:03 am #7 Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:15:46 am by FrankS
It could be that the liquid is recharged on site.

A few years ago I read about a similar storage scheme on a remote island in the pacific, basically had two tanks, during the day the spent liquid was passed through a "recharging station" from a "spent" tank to a "full" tank using solar electric for the power, then at night it was transferred the other way releasing the charge. 

Did anybody also read the article where they have made concrete that acts like a battery (using phosphorus ions), low charge density, but your whole house would be able to store electricity.

The pace of technological development is quickening.

Bad Raven

An example of a longer available wonder fuel and its issues:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellet_fuel   Worth a full read.

The school I work at was new build. The old was piped gas. The new is wooden pellet.  SO, the additional lorry loads and even the lorry manufacture and other life cycle costs were as makes no difference all additional.  And yes, you often can smell burning wood! And most of the time the school is 25C plus, summer or winter. The windows only minimally open, and the ducted "fresh air" inlet system takes air from the hottest point on the roof.

If petrol stations are going to be new fuel recycling centres, there's an environmental impact in noise, fume emission, etc to be considered, too.