April 01, 2020, 12:01:05 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

April 01, 2020, 12:01:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Creve 45 petrol

Started by jdquinn, September 30, 2018, 09:18:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jdquinn

Guys,

I've been offered a crrc45 petrol engine without CDI for a seemingly low amount of beer tokens along with a nice 1/4 scale plane short kit.  I just wanted to know what people's experiences are with these as the Internet is flooded with horror stories.  I am well aware the internet is one sided as people rarely post if all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Cooper

I have not had experience of the 45 cc engine but I have three CRRC 26cc engines and also the "home made" (comes in kit form) 40 cc engine, and they are all superb.   :af

B.C.

jdquinn

October 01, 2018, 17:56:31 pm #2 Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 20:21:22 pm by jdquinn
Well I'm now the owner of a crrc 45 engine along with a nice short kit + extras of a Jim Pepino 25% Waco YMF-5.  The guy threw it in with the kit so effectively a freebie.  Not sure of condition but he assured me it has only been bench run.  I'll strip it down anyway and inspect it. 

How difficult are these large petrols to turn over?  There is a 20 x 8 prop on the end of it which makes it feel really quite easy to turn over.  I'm not sure if this is normal.

Brian Cooper

Quote from: jdquinn on October 01, 2018, 17:56:31 pm

How difficult are these large petrols to turn over?  There is a 20 x 8 prop on the end of it which makes it feel really quite easy to turn over.  I'm not sure if this is normal.

They are not difficult to turn over and, if in good condition, should feel silky smooth.
A 20x8 might be slightly light for a 45 cc engine.  It might do better on a slightly larger prop but running it will reveal all.

The performance figures for my CRRC40 cc engine are in the "Performance Section"...
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/engine-performance-data/crrc-pro-40cc-petrol-(kit-engine)/

B.C.

jdquinn

October 01, 2018, 20:18:55 pm #4 Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 20:20:05 pm by jdquinn
Quote from: Brian Cooper on October 01, 2018, 19:59:47 pm
They are not difficult to turn over and, if in good condition, should feel silky smooth.
A 20x8 might be slightly light for a 45 cc engine.  It might do better on a slightly larger prop but running it will reveal all.

The performance figures for my CRRC40 cc engine are in the "Performance Section"...
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/engine-performance-data/crrc-pro-40cc-petrol-(kit-engine)/

B.C.

Thanks for that.  Yes very smooth.  Just realised low compression is due to loose plug! I don't believe the engine has been run in yet which could be the reason for the smaller prop.  The prop needs changed anyway as it has a little scuffing at one end so not sure if it's safe.  Better to be safe and all that!

I'm looking into the EME electric start and trying to figure if it could be modified for this engine.  I'm sure it can be made to work if I could get data on the inside diameter of the one way bearing to compare to the CRRC engine crank.  Anyone any ideas?