January 24, 2020, 18:20:01 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 24, 2020, 18:20:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Space saver spare wheel

Started by Michael_Rolls, November 26, 2018, 10:22:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_Rolls

Had a puncture - the first in a good few years, damn great screww through the tread - Friday, discovered it Saturday and fitted the spare wheel which is one of the space saver type and is MUCH narrower than the 'proper' wheels.
It is on the near side front and carries a warning not to exceed 50mph  - in fact, I haven't gone over 40 with it. There is a tendency for the car to pull to the left slightly all the time, i.e., towards the spare wheel which becomes very marked when you have to brake - and so far all braking has been very gentle.
Is this normal with these devices? If the car was behaving like this with a full set of normal wheels I would be putting in to have the tracking checked - it's that noticeable.
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

itsme

I think its natural for it to do that. Rubbish things. Better to get a tyre repair aerosol can. Nine times out of ten the tyre is boogered anyway.

pooh

they don't behave anything like a normal tyre, and they are only intended as a get-you-home/get-you-to-a-garage, with a very limited mileage
Confucious he say "more than one aircraft in the same airspace leads to structural failure"

paulinfrance

Yes they are dangerous, my Wife's Fiat 500 drove all over the road without it even when she drives,  :-\
but it's even worse now,,  :-X
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Michael_Rolls

Well, the 'proper' wheel is now back on, the puncture having been repaired. I hate to think what might have been the result of somebody ignoring the 'don't exceed 50' warning and trying to belt through a tight S bend
Mike

ludwig

you should have swapped it over and put the spare on the rear as a temporary measure, much safer.

Michael_Rolls

Quote from: ludwig on November 26, 2018, 19:42:36 pm
you should have swapped it over and put the spare on the rear as a temporary measure, much safer.

Good idea - never thought of it - Ill remember if it happens again
Mike

FlyinBrian

My Peugeot 3008 has no spare just a repair kit and pump (good for pumping retract air tanks) I looked at getting a spare even a space saver as we had a few punctures on my wifes car as she insisted in putting it in the (newly cleaned out) garage where of course a number of screws and tyre FOD materials lurk.

I dreaded the idea of being stuck with a blowout on a MWay or major road in the rain with no spare

(Yes we do have Breakdown cover but last time the AA took over 2 hrs to  respond and that was only because I hailed another patrolman in the car park where I was stuck with a knackered battery) The time before that with me driving  Laraine's PUG 308cc on the A14 heading for INWOODs a rear n/s tyre blew after hitting a lump of metal or stone which also busted the inside plastic wheel arch. The RAC would not respond! as I had not informed them that the car details had changed from a Citroen C3 to the PUG and they wanted £60 to do it there and then and then respond.

I told them not to bother, and did it myself (We do keep warning signs in the car)

OK back to my wanting a 3008 spare, a wheel well exists under the boot so no prob there but a matching alloy wheel is about 250.00 without tyre.  So - the can of sticky goo and pump it is, for now!. I am searching for a used wheel, don't care if it matches the others or not.
Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

paulinfrance

NO compressors or sticky stuff for me ! my wife's mini ( new one ) keeps getting attacked by kerb stones hiding in corners  :-X and the last time I had to do around 60 klms to find a new 'matching tyre' ( rip in the side wall )
the mini's and Fiat 500's ( her new car has already suffered with a ripped sidewall  I this time in the mountains :banghead: ) have the same size tyres and I couldn't even find a spar at BMW in Montpellier ( enormous garage ), so a spare is a must for me ( my wife that is  :'' )
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

itsme

"I dreaded the idea of being stuck with a blowout on a MWay or major road in the rain with no spare" A motorway is the last place you would want to be changing a wheel. Stick (ha) with the can of goo and join the AA who dont need to know what car you have. A warning, even a dual carriageway is a very dangerous place, an RAC guy was killed on a short bypass near me changing a wheel on a car, just a couple of months ago. Get out of the car, over the barriers, and phone for help.