September 21, 2020, 07:05:38 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2020, 07:05:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

MPG

Started by Michael_Rolls, June 23, 2018, 07:01:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael_Rolls

Until recently I have used the 'normal' grade of petrol in my Focus (and in everything before it), Getting weary of reading Honest John's column in the Telegraph in which he continually plugs the use of premium grade fuels, I decided to try it. I've had this Focus 13 weeks. For the first seven weeks, using normal grade fuel I covered 1084 miles, getting 36.7 mpg. For the last six weeks, using premium grade I have covered 894 miles at 42.7 mpg. The type of motoring is the same - mostly short distance trips to the shops, with a 'long' journey being the 26 mile round trip into Perth, so I would obviously get better figures with less short hops, but it is what it is.My local garage (which I have always used with this car) sells 'normal for 129.9p a litre. Premium is 139.9p a litre. So, for an increase in cost of 7.7% I am getting 16.3% improvement in consumption - looks like Honest John knows what he is talking about!
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

wunwinglow

On the face of it a no brainer, however the first period with normal fuel was during a colder period of the year, therefore more cold starts/choke etc. It probably doesn't fully account for the big difference, but the improvement may be less than the raw data suggests.

Michael_Rolls

You could be right - hadn't thought of that - but to be fair our previous Focus, which always used 'normal' (is it still called pool?) in two and a half years, and benefiting from three or four long motorway journeys a year, when it returned around 40 mpg for trips of 1000-1200 miles, did 38.0 overall - but, again to be fair - different engine,
Mike

Brian Cooper

I have a modern Citroen C4 Grand Picasso diesel, 7 seater.  It is 18 months old.   It likes premium grade fuel but it isn't worth the extra if only doing local trips around town.   The true benefit comes when doing a long run on motorways.

The difference between fuels is quite noticeable.  The following figures are for motorway driving:
On cheap stuff from Tesco,  the engine is not happy, sounds like a bag of nails and returns 52mpg.
On Shell (normal) fuel, which costs 1p more per litre than Tesco fuel, the engine purrs like a contented cat and returns 65 mpg.
On Shell V Power fuel (the best), the engine still purrs smoothly and returns 72 mpg.
Basically, I can't afford to run the "cheap" fuel from Tesco.

B.C.

Michael_Rolls

That's a pretty impressive difference!
Mike

itsme

Quote from: Brian Cooper on July 05, 2018, 20:30:02 pm
I have a modern Citroen C4 Grand Picasso diesel, 7 seater.  It is 18 months old.   It likes premium grade fuel but it isn't worth the extra if only doing local trips around town.   The true benefit comes when doing a long run on motorways.

The difference between fuels is quite noticeable.  The following figures are for motorway driving:
On cheap stuff from Tesco,  the engine is not happy, sounds like a bag of nails and returns 52mpg.
On Shell (normal) fuel, which costs 1p more per litre than Tesco fuel, the engine purrs like a contented cat and returns 65 mpg.
On Shell V Power fuel (the best), the engine still purrs smoothly and returns 72 mpg.
Basically, I can't afford to run the "cheap" fuel from Tesco.

B.C.
Brian- Sally used to get her diesel from Tesco. Engine management light came on and she took the car (Astra Diesel) in to our favourite repair man. He sorted it and said, 'let me guess, you get your fuel from Tesco.' Surprised, she said yes. 'Happens all the time' he said- 'water in the fuel'...we use Morrisons, not had any more problems.

FlyinBrian

Always used Tesco for fuel without issue but I must say BC's experience intrigues me so I may try a tank of Shells Best Brew.
Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

The Saint. (Owen)

Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

EricF

I was in Hastings recently and noticed that an Asda grocery delivery vehicle was filling up with diesel in a BP service station only couple of hundred yards away from Asda's own diesel pumps.
I wondered why at the time, but now I know the answer - I think I'll stop buying diesel fuel from my local Asda!
I'm not old, I've just been young for a very long time!

pooh

a slight side-step from the thread topic

a delivery driver turned up at my off ice yesterday to recount a recent happening in the company yard.

They have a diesel supply for their vans and lorries, and some use the "Blue" additive, also on tap.

So an agency driver (fully experienced etc) fuelled his (company) HGV. Filled the tank with Blue!

somehow didn't notice he was putting the wrong stuff in the tank, obviously a lot of gallons. Started up, drove across the yard to couple up to a trailer and managed to destroy the fifth wheel by getting that wrong. Pulled away to inspect the damage and ran into another HGV. At which point the Blue reached the engine, which stopped rather hurriedly.

There may be some explaining to do...
Confucious he say "more than one aircraft in the same airspace leads to structural failure"

Michael_Rolls

PDR

There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

FlyinBrian

BUMP

Further to my earlier post I have tried the local Esso station, as I do not do lots of miles I have so far only used two tanks of their premium diesel. Knowing Brian C I did not doubt his findings however I did not actually measure like for like but I can say my car is smoother running has more go and is now quieter (after 1/2 of the 2nd tank) - there was a noticeable difference almost immediately but it has improved to the point where I believe the "Premium priced" stuff is worth the few quid extra to fill up with. I "think" the mileage has improved but having visited Elvington, Winterton and the Nats I have done more long distance driving than usual so its not easy to be definite.

Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

Michael_Rolls

Good to hear, Brian
Mike

Old Geezer

Another +1 for "expensive petrol/diesel" - as mentioned above, particularly noticeable on longer and especially motorway journeys - you have a measurable improvement in consumption. There is more to it than the energy density of the fuel, there is also the better detergent action improving the efficiency of fuel pumps, injectors etc..
When I have changed my car (usually buy 30k+ pre-owned) after putting a couple of tanks of sooper dooper Shell through it, ideally doing a couple of longish motorway runs to do so, it is remarkable how much better the car goes and consumption improves.
Can someone remind me what I came in here for.

paulinfrance

I have an Aprilia RSV4R and I do notice a difference in the mountains between the SP95 and SP98,
I must loose at least 2HP  :-\

Ok silly mode OFF, and I have already gone,,  :nananana:
Mode 2 THE only way to fly