RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 21, 2019, 14:38:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

January 7th 2019 - Drone Law Changes

Started by Bad Raven, January 08, 2019, 06:55:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

This is a first, I agree with one of Bob's posts. If there was a like button, I'd be clicking it.

itsme

Eventually, you will all  be assimilated. There is no escape. Today, RCMF, tomorrow, the EU

PDR

Quote from: Steve J on November 01, 2019, 18:03:13 pmThis is a first, I agree with one of Bob's posts. If there was a like button, I'd be clicking it.

Worry ye not - you are only having this strange experience because Bob was actually agreeing with one of my posts...

:)
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

SteveBB

Quote from: PDR on November 01, 2019, 18:59:19 pmWorry ye not - you are only having this strange experience because Bob was actually agreeing with one of my posts...

:)

It's that kumbaya moment.
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

itsme

see- even PDR has been added to my hive...

dickw

Tick a box and pay £9 extra when joining the BMFA - registration done!

Competency?
Do you have an A cert - if so nothing to do.

No A cert? Then do the on-line test and get an email telling you you the correct answers and which you got wrong. If you didn't pass first time just do the test again with the correct answers now in front of you. Job done - go fly.

If it sounds too simple remember that the test is not designed to stop you, it's just so the authorities can prove you know the law and so have no excuse if you do something wrong.

Dick
Grow old disgracefully

FrankS

Quote from: itsme on November 02, 2019, 09:11:29 amsee- even PDR has been added to my hive...
Quote from: dickw on November 02, 2019, 10:34:15 amTick a box and pay £9 extra when joining the BMFA - registration done!

Competency?
Do you have an A cert - if so nothing to do.

No A cert? Then do the on-line test and get an email telling you you the correct answers and which you got wrong. If you didn't pass first time just do the test again with the correct answers now in front of you. Job done - go fly.

If it sounds too simple remember that the test is not designed to stop you, it's just so the authorities can prove you know the law and so have no excuse if you do something wrong.

Dick

+1

dickw

CAA DRES site now live https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/

Just completed the CAA competency test and got my "Flyer ID". I have a B cert, but now with the CAA "Flyer ID" I don't need the exemption.

I will wait and do the "Operator" registration via my BMFA renewal.

Dick
Grow old disgracefully

itsme

You could have done that with one tick at BMFA renewal...

Steve J

Quote from: dickw on November 05, 2019, 12:09:21 pmJust completed the CAA competency test and got my "Flyer ID". I have a B cert, but now with the CAA "Flyer ID" I don't need the exemption.
I did the same and will probably do the operator registration directly at some point in December or January. I can't be bothered with all the exemptions.

Steve

dickw

November 05, 2019, 14:09:31 pm #130 Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 14:10:49 pm by dickw
Quote from: itsme on November 05, 2019, 13:49:04 pmYou could have done that with one tick at BMFA renewal...
Yes, but then I would have had to carry a copy of the exemption plus a copy of my A/B cert with me when flying.
Now I just have to have a copy of my email from the CAA with my Flyer ID -
makes a big difference  :) .

Dick
Grow old disgracefully

itsme

November 05, 2019, 14:45:39 pm #131 Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 14:46:54 pm by itsme
Man, you travel light! My Bmfa insurance and LMA cert go in my Tx case every January and stay there until December. CAA can go in there too, no need to carry certificates, its printed on your BMFA/LMA card/insurance. oh- and you can even keep all of it on your phone.

dickw

Grow old disgracefully

itsme

Got a couple of friends who are drone flyers. We were just discussing the test etc, one of them had no idea he had to do it. Both are insured and certainly not yobs wiv dronz...so the message has not got to everyone yet.

Steve J

Quote from: itsme on November 05, 2019, 15:09:29 pmGot a couple of friends who are drone flyers.
I'm amazed...

you have two friends?

PDR

Indeed. The first five words are pretty unbelievable...

:ev

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

NickK

Grab yourself a moody email address and take the CAA test. You dont have to pay and its totally hilarious. I passed with 18/20 but honestly you would have to be mentally deficient to fail that. And i've never flown a drone and have no interest in them  ;D  ;D  ;D

One of the ones i got wrong was words to the effect of why should you be careful flying you drone in the snow. Answer cos it might be cold  ;D  ;D  ;D  :''
Who says ventriloquism is Gollocks

itsme

Quote from: PDR on November 05, 2019, 15:21:26 pmIndeed. The first five words are pretty unbelievable...

PDR
I'm gutted. I counted on you as one...

PDR

Now you're saying you can count as well?

Too many shock revelations in one day - I'm going to need a lie-down.

PDR

pheasant_plucker

Quote from: Steve J on November 01, 2019, 18:03:13 pmThis is a first, I agree with one of Bob's posts. If there was a like button, I'd be clicking it.

Like this?

Gerry
Senior Administrator

The man serving me in the canteen said "Look, You can see the face of Jesus in the Margarine" The Asian guy next to me replied "I can't believe it's not Budda"

Phil_G

Quote from: itsme on October 26, 2019, 09:25:19 amIf you are flying on a slope somewhere or in a public park (why you would do that I have no idea) ...
Erm....   ::)

martinw

So, please can someone enlighten me as to whether registration is only required for those who are active flyers, or is possession of a flyable model all it takes to require this?

I find myself in the situation where I haven't been flying in 20 years, my BMFA membership is similarly lapsed, but I have in my garage models which with a little attention can be brought to a satisfactory state of airworthiness.

itsme

Its hardly a stash of cocaine. Only need to register if you are going to commit aviation with them. Which you should...

firefox

A friend took the test yesterday, as he does not have any BMFA achievements.

One of the questions was 'Do you need insurance?' the answer being NO - surely this is encouraging people to not have insurance!

You can imagine how the local village idiot is going to see this - I passed my test, paid the CAA £9 and they told me I don't need insurance!

The people at the CAA must have forgotten to switch the brain cell on when they thought of that one!!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool......

The Saint. (Owen)

Somehow I think the only people that will register their drones/models will only be those who are in the BMFA.  :-\  :-\
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

Phil_G

I've several togging friends, none have any interest in R/C, in flying or even in the drone itself - to them a drone is just an aerial tripod, and an essential tool for the job these days - none had heard of all this and post-enlightenment, none intend to do anything about it...

lanicopter

The only people who care about these regulations are the very people who don't need to register because they already belong to an association, are insured, and fly within the law.

I'm still yet to hear a compelling reason why registration is a good idea or how it's going to help control the airspace. "Because we say you should" is not a compelling reason.

In the meantime I will enjoy the comfort of my nine pounds.

Current fuel status: "Master Caution"

The Saint. (Owen)

A bit like the change of gun laws after the Dunblane shootings, handguns were declared illegal and you were required to hand them in to the police station and you were compensated for it, but that didn't remove any illegal guns. ???
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

itsme

consider it a congestion charge. You want to use 'sky'so need to pay for the privilege. At least then you can say to the muppet with the drone, "have you paid and done your test?" like the rest of us are going to do. <smug smiley>

pooh

Perhaps it has already been said, but I have a suggestion as to why the identification requirement has been thrust upon us.

In the dim and distant past, there was no licencing for radio transmission. Then it was licenced, but broadcasters and other users had to pay for specific bands or frequencies. Mobile phones came along and the providers now have to pay handsomely for their 1-5G bands.

There are now companies eyeing up the possibilities of making lots of money using drones to deliver things. They will be paying for that priviledge and won't want interference with the traffic by hobbyists. So all the boys(and girls)-with-toys will have to be restricted to specific areas, with lots of no-fly zones, much easier to implement if the authorities know who they are.

I seem to recall pirate radio, unlicenced radio operators and now non-registered drone fliers all managed to carry on without the legal status as there were simply no personnel, in sufficient number, to police it.
Confucious he say "more than one aircraft in the same airspace leads to structural failure"

mart49

Owen, I think you need to be careful in citing Dunblane as the cause of the withdrawal of handgun permission. The person involved in those shootings held a firearms certificate so the banning of hand guns was a logical step.As always the introduction of new laws proscribing things will always be obeyed by the law abiding and ignored by the criminal. At least having a law means that the authorities now have a big and easy to handle stick to beat the law breakers, if they ever catch them.

paulinfrance

Deliverys by drone,,, I don't think so,, well at least around our model field,, :''

Mode 2 THE only way to fly

pooh

Quote from: mart49 on November 07, 2019, 13:09:33 pmAt least having a law means that the authorities now have a big and easy to handle stick to beat the law breakers, if they ever catch them.

but in the case of drones and RC aircraft, they already do have the big stick, dangerous flying is already illegal.
Confucious he say "more than one aircraft in the same airspace leads to structural failure"

lanicopter

Quote from: itsmeconsider it a congestion charge. You want to use 'sky'so need to pay for the privilege. At least then you can say to the muppet with the drone, "have you paid and done your test?" like the rest of us are going to do.

See this is the stupidity. First off it's nothing like the congestion charge. For one, there's no congestion. There's also no pollution from drones. So it's a stupid analogy.

The second thing is - do you consider the test adequate to serve its purpose of making the airspace safer? I'm afraid I'm going to need some proof of that.

So what you're actually saying is ... "have you paid your nine pounds for nothing? I have <smug face>."

As I said - stupid. You are being taxed and not only are you happy about it, you're complicit in supporting it. It's like a little group of tittle-tattling girls in a playground. Not unlike the collection of PfCO operators when the BNUC-S first came out. Let's be real, they were protecting their "investment" from little Jonny who could take the exact same photograph of a building that they could with a TBS Discovery, but hadn't remortgaged his house to buy a DJI Inspire. It's the same thing here - people protecting their own perceived interests and using the unquantified guise of safety to do it.

I'm yet to see any proof that unlicensed, unregistered drones are causing death, destruction and misery for all - until I do, I consider the registration requirements pointless, a tax on a hobby and yet another barrier to entry for those who simply wish to enjoy what used to be a fun, innocent hobby of flying little aircraft.

Even then I'm not entirely sure what registration will do because apparently everyone who registers is a safe, responsible pilot anyway.

PDR

Lani says that those rogue flyers who are the problem will not comply with the law. Lani says that he will not comply with the law. This can only mean either:

1. Lani is lying, or;

2. Lani is one of the rogue flyers who are the problem

Which of the two is left as an exercise for the reader. Although I suppose we could hold a vote on it...

PDR

pooh

There is a basic flaw in your logic, PDR.

Iani says rogue fliers are the problem, and that they will not comply with the law.

This statement has two parts. The fliers are "rogue" and in the context of which we speak, these are people who fly in an antisocial or criminal way. The second part is that they will choose not to comply with the requirement to register.

Iani says (or at least you imply) he will not comply with the requirement to register. This does not make him "rogue" as it has no bearing on his putative style of flying.

I will leave it to the reader to decide if it is reasonable to say he is a liar.

lanicopter

Well actually it's neither PDR.

As an association member (FPVUK) who has passed his "A test", I am under no obligation whatsoever to register with the CAA until January - so I can continue to fly lawfully as I have done for many years.

However those who are the so-called problem will continue to fly illegally, despite people like yourself who have chosen to register their details.

Please, I ask you again, tell me how you registering has made a blind bit of difference to overall air safety if Mr Bad Person is simply continuing to operate illegally? And once you realise that actually there has been no difference made and the whole thing is just an exercise in red tape, please continue to explain why you think a fee for registration is justified?

I've asked quite a few times now and have yet to receive an answer that doesn't involve a personal attack so perhaps you could oblige or simply do us all a favour and shut up. Or hold your vote - but we all now you wouldn't respect the outcome anyway.........

itsme

No, it will not make the slightest difference to flight safety. Its a damage limitation exercise. A law has been passed, and we all should obey the law, even if it is an ass. The law could have been enforced far worse than it is. We have managed to get this so it has minimum disruption to our activities, a mere payment of three pints of lager per year to keep the law happy, and I call that a good result. I drive on a road near me which is miles from habitation and should be a minimum of 50mph. Its 30, and the mobile cameras love it as they can be hidden over the brow of a hill and get you. So, I drive at 30, even though it is stupid. Just pay the fkn £9 and look sick.

graham bowers

Quote from: lanicopter on November 08, 2019, 15:25:34 pmWell actually it's neither PDR.

As an association member (FPVUK) who has passed his "A test", I am under no obligation whatsoever to register with the CAA until January - so I can continue to fly lawfully as I have done for many years.

However those who are the so-called problem will continue to fly illegally, despite people like yourself who have chosen to register their details.

Please, I ask you again, tell me how you registering has made a blind bit of difference to overall air safety if Mr Bad Person is simply continuing to operate illegally? And once you realise that actually there has been no difference made and the whole thing is just an exercise in red tape, please continue to explain why you think a fee for registration is justified?

I've asked quite a few times now and have yet to receive an answer that doesn't involve a personal attack so perhaps you could oblige or simply do us all a favour and shut up. Or hold your vote - but we all now you wouldn't respect the outcome anyway.........

The world has changed. It's changed in a way you don't like, nevertheless it has changed.
I too don't see a direct positive impact on safety. Maybe it'll make it easier to catch the bad guys and maybe it won't. I don't know.
Maybe it'll enable responsible flyers to be recognised as such and maybe it won't. I don't know.
All I do know is that the world has changed and it'll cost me nine quid.
Worse things happen at sea, and that I do know.