RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 14, 2019, 08:19:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

January 7th 2019 - Drone Law Changes

Started by Bad Raven, January 08, 2019, 06:55:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dickw

BMFA online competency test (RCC) now available here:- https://rcc.bmfa.uk/

Just done it and passed (didn't need to as I have B cert and also passed CAA test) but it is so easy it is not a problem at all.

Dick
Grow old disgracefully

itsme

Yes, simple but quite pointless. I have done it out of curiosity (BMFA B and LMA prof). Basic common sense, really. Added to my BMFA profile too.

Steve J

Quote from: itsme on November 18, 2019, 12:35:32 pmYes, simple but quite pointless.
I hope that Andy S doesn't see your post. He reacted quite strongly on another forum when I said that I didn't see the point in the BMFA having their own online test.

FrankS

Quote from: Steve J on November 18, 2019, 15:56:58 pmI hope that Andy S doesn't see your post. He reacted quite strongly on another forum when I said that I didn't see the point in the BMFA having their own online test.

Possibly, but as club sec I can see on the BMFA club membership page who's got a RCC, A cert etc, rather than chase up members to provide the proof. All our members want to register via the BMFA.

Big A

Quote from: Steve J on November 18, 2019, 15:56:58 pmI hope that Andy S doesn't see your post. He reacted quite strongly on another forum when I said that I didn't see the point in the BMFA having their own online test.
You didnt say you didnt see the point though.

You stated you didnt understand why the BMFA had their own test and despite not understanding why advised everyone to go via the CAA.

The whole DMARES thingvis pointless but its a reality so has to be dealt with.

itsme

Quote from: Big A on November 19, 2019, 00:05:56 amYou didnt say you didnt see the point though.

You stated you didnt understand why the BMFA had their own test and despite not understanding why advised everyone to go via the CAA.

The whole DMARES thingvis pointless but its a reality so has to be dealt with.
Exactly Andy. I am not criticising the BMFA, simply the whole pointless exercise. The BMFA, in my opinion, has done us all proud.

Steve J

Quote from: Big A on November 19, 2019, 00:05:56 amYou stated you didnt understand why the BMFA had their own test and despite not understanding why advised everyone to go via the CAA.
After reading your posts yesterday evening (especially the one with the ludicrous flowchart) I now understand why the BMFA have done their own online test.

I stand by my advice.

In addition, you might want to review the wording on the RCC, it is not an exemption (ORS4 1331 is the exemption).

RobC

Having done both the CAA and BMFA versions of the test I'd say that the BMFA version addresses the issue of fixed wing flyers constantly screaming 'but I'm not flying a drone' when faced with the wording and pretty illustrations in the CAA guide.
In my view it's down to the wording used in the questions and, if you do the no-camera version on the BMFA test,  the focus being on areas relevant to the old school fixed wing flyer without intimating that they may be flying a "drone".
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

itsme

I cant understand the fuss. Someone on FB declared it was 'sinister'. The government passed a law. We have to obey the law, but its hardly onerous. And if anyone has difficulty with the online test, then they should not be flying. Or driving for that matter.

dickw

Quote from: Steve J on November 19, 2019, 09:16:34 am....................
In addition, you might want to review the wording on the RCC, it is not an exemption (ORS4 1331 is the exemption).

How would you word it?

Dick
Grow old disgracefully

wunwinglow

There seems to be a whiff of anti-BMFA/LMA etc on here. In my view Dave and Rob have done a sterling job in representing their members and trying to minimise any 'hurt'. They also derived strength from the thousands of modellers who lobbied their MP's, ministers, CAA etc.
We should also remember that at the end of June EASA regs. become law. There is now another round of fresh negotiations that the guys will be having with the CAA/DfT to protect our hobby.
Rob Buckley has also spent a fair bit of time this year liaising with other European modelling bodies under the umbrella of EMFU (European Model Flying Union) - theres a lot of modellers on the continent who have similar concerns to us Brits.

Steve J

Quote from: wunwinglow on November 19, 2019, 13:11:51 pmThere seems to be a whiff of anti-BMFA/LMA etc on here.
Apologies. I didn't realise that criticism of the BMFA isn't allowed on this forum.

wunwinglow

I didn't say it wasn't allowed, I just aired my take on the thread. Heaven forbid that I was a moderator, wouldn't want that job!
However, apologies accepted graciously on behalf of our national bodies :)

wunwinglow

November 19, 2019, 18:13:04 pm #213 Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 18:14:37 pm by wunwinglow Reason: double post

dickw

Latest BMFA information here.
Changed CAA Registration Exemption here.

Exemption validity extended to 23rd Feb - probably to alow time for CAA to process data, issue Operator IDs, and for people to put them on their models, after 31st Jan data transfer from the BMFA.

Dick
Grow old disgracefully

lanicopter

Process data? Yes because importing XML/JSON data automatically will take weeks. Best manually type it in to ensure accuracy.
Issue operator IDs? Yes, because allowing people to print out unique QR/barcodes that can be scanned is so difficult to achieve these days (I built a system to do that years ago) - best post them all out.
"Put them on their models" - how long will that take??

Current fuel status: "Master Caution"

PDR

November 25, 2019, 17:48:18 pm #216 Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 17:50:37 pm by PDR
Once we know what the labelling requirements are (and we have our numbers) I was going to talk to Callie about getting some UK versions of these Callie Graphics FAA labels:

aaaa.png

She charges $20 for a custom sheet of 24 labels with your number data. I kinda like the one on the left...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

dickw

Quote from: lanicopter on November 25, 2019, 17:05:48 pmProcess data? Yes because importing XML/JSON data automatically will take weeks. Best manually type it in to ensure accuracy.
Issue operator IDs? Yes, because allowing people to print out unique QR/barcodes that can be scanned is so difficult to achieve these days (I built a system to do that years ago) - best post them all out.
"Put them on their models" - how long will that take??

Not all BMFA members have email addresses, so some will have to be posted.
They are just being practical.

Dick
Grow old disgracefully

paulinfrance

Quote from: PDR on November 25, 2019, 17:48:18 pmOnce we know what the labelling requirements are (and we have our numbers) I was going to talk to Callie about getting some UK versions of these Callie Graphics FAA labels:

aaaa.png

She charges $20 for a custom sheet of 24 labels with your number data. I kinda like the one on the left...

PDR

For the rich,,, :-\

I print my numbers out on paper and stick them on with wood glue ( 40+ labels )
 that's $40 saved,,,  :co
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Steve J

PDR

There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

Pretty simple to me, here it's the same, but has to be readable at 30 cm,,

itsme

3mm is the minimum, and thats what mine will be. Printed on sticky labels and sellotaped on to an unseen part. We can play a game, find the number...

FrankS

Quote from: itsme on November 26, 2019, 08:39:13 am3mm is the minimum, and thats what mine will be. Printed on sticky labels and sellotaped on to an unseen part. We can play a game, find the number...

Have you not seen clause 3006g, if the number is inside the model there should be instructions on the outside to locate the number,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Just kidding :}

itsme

Actually, they must be accessible without using tools. But I foresee a great game of 'Find the Number'.... ;)

Steve J

Quote from: itsme on November 26, 2019, 10:13:12 amI foresee a great game of 'Find the Number'.... ;)
I doubt if that would be a game that you would win.

Are Langer planing to police the registration system and collect the tax for the CAA?

paulinfrance

Our rules are it must be read at 30 cm on the outside, 'except' if it is a scale plane,,

I can't see why it has to be on the outside, if you 'Buzz' someone could you read it at 30 cm, I thought it was to find the pilot if you crashed,,

so i am looking for some self  destructing paper,,, you know,,,
 if you accept,,,

itsme

Quote from: Steve J on November 26, 2019, 12:38:43 pmI doubt if that would be a game that you would win.

Are Langer planing to police the registration system and collect the tax for the CAA?
doing it through the BMFA. This is something you cant win, so going with the flow. Currently have ten members who have no A and have been told to do the cAA or BMFA test or no membership.

Steve J

Quote from: itsme on November 26, 2019, 16:59:20 pmThis is something you cant win, so going with the flow.
Indeed. "Nothing is certain except for death and taxes."

I am just a bit surprised by the enthusiasm with which some people have decided to embrace becoming tax collectors.

itsme

Except its not a tax. It is to offset the cost of the registration forced upon us by the government. As far as I am concerned, the BMFA et al have done the best they can, so the choice is fly illegally or pay the charge. I am not risking my insurance being compromised, so I have accepted the inevitable. I am doing my best to ensure that all club members are fully legal, and help is there for the noncomputer savvy types. The BMFA collect the money, (although mine is free this year with the LMA) and we just add it to the BMFA fees.
I have no enthusiasm for any of this, although as said earlier, it puts a legal divide between us and the cowboy droneists.
Welcome to the modern world.

Steve J

Quote from: itsme on November 26, 2019, 19:30:01 pmExcept its not a tax.
Of course it's a tax. It's money taken off me by the government. The fact the the money is going to be ring fenced such that it will be spent by the CAA's UAS section doesn't stop it being a tax.

itsme

Whats wrong with taxes? If it were not for taxes, we would be living in trees and fighting for the last berries of summer, dying from malaria and being eaten by wolves. I never minded paying tax, it meant I was earning enough to live. "The Government" is actually the people. Of course we disagree on how it is spent, thats why we have (and elect) a "Government".

lanicopter

Normal taxes can be justified in that they are necessary for having a functional society, something I think we can agree is semi-important.

The "drone tax" is simply a made up figure which by their own admission is simply used to pay for itself and offers zero benefit to anyone.
Current fuel status: "Master Caution"

itsme

Quote from: lanicopter on November 27, 2019, 09:44:22 amNormal taxes can be justified in that they are necessary for having a functional society, something I think we can agree is semi-important.

The "drone tax" is simply a made up figure which by their own admission is simply used to pay for itself and offers zero benefit to anyone.
I am not very happy about the waste of money but it happens. My local council has just spent £100,000 on some flashing led lights as 'Xmas decor'and I'm not happy about that, either. Dont forget the dronetax is instead of far more draconian measures that have been proposed, one lot missed becoming law because Boris prorogued parliament. As it is, I can live with it.

Steve J

Quote from: itsme on November 27, 2019, 10:28:54 amDont forget the dronetax is instead of far more draconian measures that have been proposed, one lot missed becoming law because Boris prorogued parliament.
No it isn't. It's part of the process.

The Air Traffic Management and Unmanned Aircraft Bill or something very similar will back in the new year and the EU regulations start to apply from 1st July.