RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

September 22, 2020, 19:40:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

January 7th 2019 - Drone Law Changes

Started by Bad Raven, January 08, 2019, 06:55:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

paulinfrance

Oh, so you just don't like your fellow countrymen,, :D

Ok, I will stop now,, :-X

Did you actually listen to all of his video ?.
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

JimG

Bruce is of course not Australian but a New Zealander.
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

paulinfrance

Quote from: JimG on February 11, 2020, 18:30:41 pmBruce is of course not Australian but a New Zealander.

He was born in Australia,,

itsme

I have seen this guys videos before. He is the model aircraft version of Tommy Robinson. Not sure what he is hoping to achieve, just pay the damn £9 (sorry, LMA are paying mine this year) and if you dont have an A, do the silly little test. Either this will drone (ha ha) on as it is for years, or die a natural death like dog licences when the powers that be realise the futility of it all. The worrying thing is that the £9 is certainly not enough to cover the cost of the government grade database. It will have to go up.

PDR

I don't like pillocks spouting bollox - only a compulsive racist like you would conclude that it had anything to do with his nationality. Yes, I listened to it to see if he ever got to say anything of value (he didn't). But he likes calling people fascist - I guess that's his alternative to thinking.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

lanicopter

It's very easy to criticise Bruce on a forum PDR, but at least he's proactive with his beliefs. Your sole contribution to this whole escapade has been to roll over and take it while ridiculing anyone with an alternative point of view. I'm curious as to why you think that's more acceptable than someone like Bruce at least putting his points forward and standing by them?

Over the years, Bruce has repeatedly demonstrated his devotion to the hobby at large, whereas you have repeatedly demonstrated your distaste for anyone not stuck in the 60s. Unfortunately for you, your kind will quickly become the minority as time marches on - so I'm confused as to why you do not embrace education to encourage new flyers into the hobby? Instead you seem intent on accepting over-zealous regulation of everything to get it all to fit into your idealistic view of what the hobby used to be. Surely educating people would be the sensible thing to do given that the overwhelming trend of the hobby is moving away from the traditional setup of a club in a field (that is if you care at all about the safe operation of model aircraft)?

I guess that would require effort though - oh well. Best leave it to Bruce.
Current fuel status: "Master Caution"

itsme

"given that the overwhelming trend of the hobby is moving away from the traditional setup of a club in a field" eh, what?
730 BMFA clubs plus others? The whole idea of flying somewhere because nobody says you can't is what has got us to this situation. Clubs are alive and well.
Screenshot_1.jpg

flynn

What....even the one in the middle of the north Sea shipping lane? :-)

itsme

Thats Rivington Slope Club. Told them before about flying too far away.

lanicopter

How many people actively fly at those clubs nowadays compared to say, 20 years ago?
How many of those people will be with us in 20 years?
How many people are there nowadays who are active in the hobby but don't belong to a club?

Like I said - the trend towards clubs is negative and unfortunately time does have a habit of marching on.

itsme

oh- everybody dies, do they? Thats a revelation. Well, we have at least 50% of club members under 50, and about a dozen under 30. Just because you hate clubs does not mean they are doomed.. I have four clubs within 25 miles of me, all with over 100 members. You find mostly older people at clubs because they have the time, its difficult to balance a young family and a club.

lanicopter

A lot of younger people are the ones with drones etc, who don't have time/inclination for joining a club. That does not make them dangerous or less worthy as hobbyists but woe betide anyone have that point of view on here.

paulinfrance

Quote from: lanicopter on February 12, 2020, 15:26:40 pmA lot of younger people are the ones with drones etc, who don't have time/inclination for joining a club. That does not make them dangerous or less worthy as hobbyists but woe betide anyone have that point of view on here.

Not all of them are youngsters, one in our club was 30 and another 40 who have just left the club and all of the others, me included are all over 55,,

They aren't dangerous, it's all the bad press that we get, not forgetting the hallucinations of commercial pilots seeing them and identifying them at 30.000 feet and at 500 knots,, "another DJI phantom",, :''

mart49

watch this Youtube video, its not just what he is saying but that he is young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5rsf...

paulinfrance

PDR

Quote from: mart49 on February 12, 2020, 17:18:18 pmwatch this Youtube video, its not just what he is saying but that he is young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5rsf...

He's obviously been gagged by the fascists...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

Quote from: PDR on February 12, 2020, 17:57:08 pmHe's obviously been gagged by the fascists...

PDR

Why not the leftists,, have you actually seen the video ?.

PDR

Quote from: paulinfrance on February 12, 2020, 18:16:19 pmWhy not the leftists,, have you actually seen the video ?.

Yes, I have seen the video (as I said previously, so either pay attention or **** off). That's why I said fascists - it's what your pin-up kept blathering on about. Did you actually watch more that the first few seconds yourself before posting it?

PDR

meharibear

So would anyone who actually saw the whole video like to enlighten us who only went to look at it after it had been removed?  What was the gist of the thing?  Young person acting responsibly?  Old fart acting like a hooligan or what?
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

mart49

Interesting. I don't know whose blocked it. I've not received a smacked wrist from the Mods. The video is still on Youtube. You can also find it here  #FightForFPV.
Let's see if this gets blocked. If yes then I will believe in conspiracy theories, all of them!

As i said it's not what he said, his political views but the fact he is 15 and not the usual Grumpy old man or last of the summer wine generation.

FrankS

February 12, 2020, 22:50:11 pm #260 Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 22:53:26 pm by FrankS
It's not been blocked, just the link is wrong, it's quite an eloquent video, much better than the rants from other you tubers.

paulinfrance

Quote from: FrankS on February 12, 2020, 22:50:11 pmIt's not been blocked, just the link is wrong, it's quite an eloquent video, much better than the rants from other you tubers.

Yes it's here,

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/f1zqd3/our_hobby_our_future_fightforfpv/

As for the 'anti' Bruce brigade of his rcmodelreviews channel,( brexit losers :''  ) I have been watching his channel for a few years, he has been very helpful with his drones, radios, planes and other reviews, ^-^  :af  his model field was shut down and he was stripped of his model licence by the authorities at one time, :banghead:  because of speaking out for modellers, but thanks to him, they can still fly on the 'Airstrip' and drones in the local parks,  :af

I was surprised by your remarks pdr, an intelligent and knowledgeable man bringing politics into the debate there is no place for it. :-X

I have see with my own eyes when I was protesting with the yellow jackets what the Black blocs were capable of. :embarassed:

PDR

Quote from: paulinfrance on February 13, 2020, 08:07:47 amI was surprised by your remarks pdr, an intelligent and knowledgeable man bringing politics into the debate there is no place for it. :-X

Again, pay attention. It wasn't me that "brought politics into it" - it was your great hero Brice who was so free with his blather about fascists.

PDR

itsme

wunwinglow

Yippee :)
The kind people in the CAA have just sent me my operator ID. :uk:
Out with the epoxy to smear on an obscure area to let my Dymo label stick to the foam/wood etc. Only two out of 20+ models will have the ID on the outside (no tools needed to access the remainder!)

itsme

As a club secretary, although I have complied with the law, and advised other members to do so, as a Committee we are not going to police this, it is up to each individual to be registered and place their numbers. I could check on the BMFA portal for who has registered/paid, but there is no way I can check those who do that via the CAA or LMA. So, its up to the model flyer to be legal, or not. Much more important to me is that they have paid their BMFA and have an A.

itsme

Ha- just got mine, too. It went, appropriately, into the junk folder. If I learn it, it will make a good password...

wunwinglow

Quote from: itsme on February 13, 2020, 14:15:48 pmAs a club secretary, although I have complied with the law, and advised other members to do so, as a Committee we are not going to police this, it is up to each individual to be registered and place their numbers. I could check on the BMFA portal for who has registered/paid, but there is no way I can check those who do that via the CAA or LMA. So, its up to the model flyer to be legal, or not. Much more important to me is that they have paid their BMFA and have an A.
Our club is operating the same policy, it is up to each individual to comply with the legislation, we are not the drone police.
In the same vein we do not check that members are fit to fly, or their eyesight etc, it is their responsibility to comply with the ANO. But as you say, they must be up to date with club and BMFA membership

lanicopter

Quote from: itsme on February 13, 2020, 14:20:38 pmHa- just got mine, too. It went, appropriately, into the junk folder. If I learn it, it will make a good password...

I wouldn't bother - you get a new operator ID every year

PDR

Quote from: lanicopter on February 17, 2020, 12:55:38 pmI wouldn't bother - you get a new operator ID every year

Has that actually been stated? I'm aware that they say the registration lasts a year, but I was under the impression that you will be able to "renew" a registration (keeping the same number) rather than taking out a new one. The latter would seem to be a rather silly idea, because they'd run out of numbers relatively quickly. Could you point me to something that authoritatively states that new numbers will be issued every year?

PDR

firefox

Quote from: PDR on February 17, 2020, 13:54:14 pmHas that actually been stated? I'm aware that they say the registration lasts a year, but I was under the impression that you will be able to "renew" a registration (keeping the same number) rather than taking out a new one. The latter would seem to be a rather silly idea, because they'd run out of numbers relatively quickly. Could you point me to something that authoritatively states that new numbers will be issued every year?

PDR

Could you point me to something that authoritatively states you will not?

Just go my operators ID through, but reading the information I see I will need a flyer ID too - talk about making paperwork!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool......

firefox

Quote from: PDR on February 17, 2020, 13:54:14 pmHas that actually been stated? I'm aware that they say the registration lasts a year, but I was under the impression that you will be able to "renew" a registration (keeping the same number) rather than taking out a new one. The latter would seem to be a rather silly idea, because they'd run out of numbers relatively quickly. Could you point me to something that authoritatively states that new numbers will be issued every year?

PDR

Could you point me to something that authoritatively states that new numbers will NOT be issued every year?

Just had my operators ID through and I see I will need to have a flyers ID too - talk about doubling up of paperwork!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool......

RobC

PDR
As I read it you 'may' be given a new OP-ID next year but that could be down to EASA changes due to come in in June changing the format of the IDs.
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

PDR

Quote from: firefox on February 17, 2020, 14:32:45 pmJust had my operators ID through and I see I will need to have a flyers ID too - talk about doubling up of paperwork!

AIUI you don't need a flyer ID if you are a BMFA member and have either an A cert (or higher) or have passed the BMFA Remote Competency Certificate. You just need to carry a copy of the exemption papers (which you can download from the BMFA website

PDR

JimG

PDR

I doubt that they will run out of IDs any time soon. My Operator ID is 7 letters not numbers so the number of combinations is 26 to the power 7 a somewhat large number.
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

wunwinglow

The CAA have today issued ORS4 1345 which supersedes ORS4 1332 which required us to all have an operator I.D to make our models legal from 23rd Feb 2020.
This new ORS4 has now put the date back to 30th June, which is the proposed date for the new EASA regulations to come into play.
What are the people in Whitehall doing?
Answers please on a postcard to the drone pixies

itsme

EASA have in the past looked more kindly on model flyers (especially BMFA/LMA/FPVUK) than the CAA. Hopefully this will not be a change for the worse.

lanicopter

PDR

This is from the CAA website:
https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/labelling-your-drone-or-model-aircraft

QuoteHow to label your drone or model aircraft
Your operator ID must be:

visible from the outside, or within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool
clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm
secure and safe from damage
on the main body of the aircraft

You should use a removable label as your operator ID may change when you renew. You'll need to remove your label if you're no longer responsible for the drone or model aircraft.

Always use your operator ID, not your flyer ID.

So by the looks of it not guaranteed to stay the same which I agree would be the sensible path to follow.

lanicopter

Here is the ORS4/1345 link http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1345.pdf

Are they going to pro-rata refund everyone who registered?

JohnP

Quote from: JimG on February 17, 2020, 18:56:09 pmI doubt that they will run out of IDs any time soon. My Operator ID is 7 letters not numbers so the number of combinations is 26 to the power 7 a somewhat large number.

The operator ID's that I have seen are a mixture of letters and numbers.  So that's 36 ^7.  Or a bit over 78 billion.  I think that's a few more than the number they originally estimated would register! 

I'd assume though that they don't use O, I or Q to avoid confusion with 0 and 1.  So it's "only" 33 ^7 or a bit more than 42 billion!
Quantum est in fenestra canini ?