RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2019, 15:52:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Servo mounting plates. Marine Ply?

Started by e-flite_rules, July 31, 2019, 20:43:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

e-flite_rules

Need some assistance please!

I'm looking to add some servo mounting plates onto some EPP/EPO planes so that I mount my servos using screws into the mounting plates.  Rather than gluing the servos in.

In the past I'd have used "marine ply" as a high quality material that wouldn't split when a screw was driven into it.  However it seems that no model shop sells that any longer.

So what material do you experts recommend?  Needs to take a #1 woodscrew or self tapper.  I'd re-enforce the thread using cyano.

Suggestions please!

Thanks.

C

pheasant_plucker

I usually just use liteply with liteply doublers where the screws go in.
I have never had a servo pull the screws out in the last 40 years even after a subterranean landing :''

Gerry
Senior Administrator

The man serving me in the canteen said "Look, You can see the face of Jesus in the Margarine" The Asian guy next to me replied "I can't believe it's not Budda"

leckyBB

Quote from: pheasant_plucker on July 31, 2019, 20:48:16 pmI usually just use liteply with liteply doublers where the screws go in.
I have never had a servo pull the screws out in the last 40 years even after a subterranean landing :''

Gerry
Same method for me Gerry. I used to use aircraft grade 1/16" ply as I was able to gather up all the off cuts where I worked at weekends on vintage restoration projects.All gone now though since it has been more than 10 years since I retired.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

British Victory

If you must use ly, visit slecuk.co.uk theres birch ly there which is every bit as good as the marine stuff
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

paulinfrance

I still use 'bio' fruit boxes, from gliders to 20cc petrol's for servo fixing,, cheap ply.jpg
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

British Victory

Quote from: paulinfrance on August 01, 2019, 08:50:05 amI still use 'bio' fruit boxes, from gliders to 20cc petrol's for servo fixing,, cheap ply.jpg
How the hell do you get them in the fuselage  :ev
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

paulinfrance

rbp28668

Must be bloody big servos if you need a box that size....
Bruce Porteous

paulinfrance

Quote from: rbp28668 on September 03, 2019, 21:46:35 pmMust be bloody big servos if you need a box that size....

I can't afford servos on my pension, $%&  so it's going to be control line when my wife
has finished using the washing line,, :co

OakleyMos

Nothing wrong with the control line! haha