RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 10, 2019, 16:08:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Recommendations pls for an electric powered trainer

Started by e-flite_rules, August 13, 2019, 10:03:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

e-flite_rules

I'm looking to buy a communal trainer for our club.  Our current ones are most antiquated and use something called glow engines for power.

We need to move into the 21st Century and get something that newbies can identify with - electric.

I'm thinking 3S 2200 mAh. 

I like foam as it's tough and easy to repair.  However balso is still an option.

So recommendations please!

Thx C

paulinfrance

It sounds like you want to go back to childhood, battery powered plastic toys,,

Are you looking for a powered glider or a real plane ?,,,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Gaspin

Why would you not purchase a Wot 4; easily the most mentioned model on here in the last 15 years. Either foam or the real thing they all fly great.

RobC

Yes, a Wot4 foamie or a Riot.  Me?  I'd go for the Wot4 out of the two.  If you went up to 4S 3-4000 then you get up to conventional wood trainer type power.  My ARTF Wot 4 flies a treat on 4S so I'd imagine any 40 size trainer would do just as well on that size pack.
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

PDR

A great model, but not really suited to a basic trainer IMHO. I'd avoid the foamy route because it will probably look tired very quickly, and someone will be forever repairing the U/C after those early "what do you mean 'flare'??" landings. Personally I'd build a good old Super 60 and put a cheap 5s setup in it. Bigger size = more weather-tollerant = more flying, more robust etc etc.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

itsme

For foam, the ST Models Discovery is the best I have seen. Built up trainer kits seem to have gone crazy in price lately. The best ever trainer was the Irvine Tutor, not sure if they are still available, and would require a 4s setup.

SMF

PDR

Meant to add - there's a chap at our field learning to fly with a Seagull Arising Star, converted to electric with (I think) a 4s4000 setup, and it behaves just like the Yamamotos of the golden era. It's big enough to fly in most weathers and its traditional wooden structure is very robust. I see it has a smaller brother (the Seagull Jumper) which looks similar, and should be just as effective on a 3s3000 setup with (say) 400watts.

If I was looking to teach someone up to solo standard that's the sort of thing I'd choose. The foamies have their place (I love my wot4 foam-e as a general hack), but too many basic training accidents would just shred it and that could be terminal for the interest of a newbee.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

itsme

Quote from: PDR on August 13, 2019, 18:54:12 pmMeant to add - there's a chap at our field learning to fly with a Seagull Arising Star, converted to electric with (I think) a 4s4000 setup, and it behaves just like the Yamamotos of the golden era. It's big enough to fly in most weathers and its traditional wooden structure is very robust. I see it has a smaller brother (the Seagull Jumper) which looks similar, and should be just as effective on a 3s3000 setup with (say) 400watts.

If I was looking to teach someone up to solo standard that's the sort of thing I'd choose. The foamies have their place (I love my wot4 foam-e as a general hack), but too many basic training accidents would just shred it and that could be terminal for the interest of a newbee.

PDR
The Discoveries are not too bad in the longevity area, they are used at the RCHotel as a trainer, as well as a general sports model, and seem to withstand a lot of abuse. I am very impressed with those, and they fly on a bog standard 3s. I agree they do look a bit battered quite quickly.

Marcol

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape . If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does use the duct tape

ATSA2

"There's nothing cushy about the Women's Volunteer Balloon Corps!"

Gaspin

On reflection, you could buy two HK Tundra's ready to go for the price of one the above lot. Cheap, stable and electric, try it with the u/c off for the first few goes and on a 4s set up.

itsme

Tundra is more expensive than the Discovery.  :co https://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=RIPASTM110&area=Aircraft it is also a more complicated model, with flaps and struts, not ideal for a first trainer.

FrankS

We've had 2 newbies gain their A certs with the HK Tundras, surprisingly robust and repairable, undercarriage is quite forgiving. Flaps are not really required.