October 25, 2020, 18:54:23 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

October 25, 2020, 18:54:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

prop size wanted

Started by propwash, January 22, 2020, 11:12:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

propwash

What prop size for a 2cc diesel engine, ED compspecialplease, thanks.
Well Flown? tell the wife.

PDR

I'd guess something like a 10-6 or 11-6 for general use, but it would probably turn much bigger props for slow/vintage models (just back off the compression).

These things aren't exactly powerful. Even if it's a real comp special rather than a MK2 "penny slot" you'll only see 6-7,000rpm on a 10-6.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

PDR

FYI - if the outer edges of the mounting lugs are straight then it's an original "Mk2 Penny slot" (a penny slot should also have no compression lever - just a slot to put a penny into to adjust the compression - but the slot thing was so awkward to use that most owners replaced it with a conventional compression lever or T-bar). If the lugs are scalloped inwards between the oounting holes then it's a "Mk2 Comp Special" which had a bigger transfer port and deeper exhaust ports (giving better breathing and more sub-piston induction) which raised it's output to the dizzying heights of nearly a tenth of a bhp or so! The comp special also omitted the exhaust extensions of the penny slot, but as they were onoy ever soft-soldered on it's very common for them to have been removed (or to have just fallen off) from the penny slots, so it's not a good guide.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

propwash

January 23, 2020, 12:01:07 pm #3 Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 12:02:54 pm by propwash
Deffo Comp special003.JPG

Thanks I'll try 10" prop.

paulinfrance

Quote from: propwash on January 23, 2020, 12:01:07 pmDeffo Comp special003.JPG

Thanks I'll try 10" prop.
I had one in the 70's I hope your runs better than mine did,,, :-\
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

PDR

I had one years ago - I was given it when I was a kid and it powered by first C/L trainer. It ran well enough, once you allowed for th fact that it had less actual power than a scottish tory.

You seem to have problems with lots of motors, Paul. Are you sure it's the motors that are the problem?

:ev

PDR

propwash

Had it for 17th Birthday, Sitting in my attic storage for umpteen years.
Want  to demonstrate it to grand son, lost original prop.
Touch of nostalgia got me. ;D

paulinfrance

Quote from: PDR on January 23, 2020, 12:10:50 pmI had one years ago - I was given it when I was a kid and it powered by first C/L trainer. It ran well enough, once you allowed for th fact that it had less actual power than a scottish tory.

You seem to have problems with lots of motors, Paul. Are you sure it's the motors that are the problem?

:ev

I have so many of them, :co , they all ended up working, even my Fuji outboard engine in 1970, with one exception, the OS.40fs that I got on eboot,, I think that the head was 'grafted' on from a surpass,,,

PDR
Mode 2 THE only way to fly