RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 20, 2019, 18:59:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone fly on the Cliffs between Bridlington North Beach and Flamborough Head?

Started by Hairyflier, October 16, 2019, 13:23:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hairyflier

Back from the dead I have recently moved back to the Frozen North and being close to the cliffs of East Yorkshire wondered if anyone has any experience of flying there, they look pretty good but I have not seen anyone using them.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire

itsme

Nice to see you back Hairy. Those cliffs are supposed to be amazing, someone told me a Transit van would fly off there. There is also Hole of Horkum. The flying holiday week is held up there, at Primrose Valley. Where have you moved to?

Chippie

I thought flying from Hole of Horcum was no longer available because of a threat to the wildlife or some such reason....
Eccentric millionaire Financed by 'er indoors'
Site Admin and forum moderator

Hairyflier

Quote from: itsme on October 16, 2019, 15:13:41 pmNice to see you back Hairy. Those cliffs are supposed to be amazing, someone told me a Transit van would fly off there. There is also Hole of Horkum. The flying holiday week is held up there, at Primrose Valley. Where have you moved to?
We have moved to North Lincs close to the Humber Bridge and have been taking the dog to the North Beach, it's a great spot to just sit a while and admire the view. I still have three slope models and it looks tempting but I've never seen anyone up there, just John Livingstone enjoying the lift.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. Voltaire

itsme

Of course you know Winterton is just near there for power flying. Chippie- not heard of anything, but I'm a long way from there.
Hairy, You could always electrify them. Theres a thread on here where I did that to a Stan Yeo model, it flies great.

FlyinBrian

Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

paulinfrance

Mode 2 THE only way to fly

alangorham

Quote from: Chippie on October 16, 2019, 17:31:47 pmI thought flying from Hole of Horcum was no longer available because of a threat to the wildlife or some such reason....

Hmm, better tell the members of the North York Moors Radio Soaring Club that their flying site is not available....

Seriously, I think that you need to be a member of said club to fly at the Hole as the land owner requires a specific insurance policy and the club offers this as part of membership. That rules out "casual" flying for BMFA members...

Phil_G

Quote from: Chippie on October 16, 2019, 17:31:47 pmI thought flying from Hole of Horcum was no longer available because of a threat to the wildlife or some such reason....
I'm pretty sure thats not the case Chippie, went to their retro day about a month back, was a reet good do.  Theres no mention of any new restrictions on the website: http://www.nymrsc.org.uk/
Filey Brigg is the east-coast favourite, flown there many times.  Reighton Gap is also popular but keep glancing over your shoulder for approaching hotels with lemming tendencies.
Cheers
Phil

Chippie

Eccentric millionaire Financed by 'er indoors'
Site Admin and forum moderator

Patmac

Hairy, I went to the Primrose Valley model holiday week most years from the first year when it was organised by RCM&E (Bill Burkinshaw was editor at the time) until some time around 2005. Most of the time I was slope soaring at the various sites.
Filey Brigg that Phil mentioned was popular - ticket parking but very convenient, good landing area, downside is that it's also a popular public site so extra care is sometimes needed when landing & there's sometimes some hang gliders around.
Also mentioned by Phil, Reighton Gap - is(or was) accessible by driving through the Reighton Sands holiday village site. Park here
then fly from the path to the SE, plenty of landing area behind the path. It's also easy to fly the model along to the SE & pick up the lift from the ridge running E-W then turn around & fly the model with you back to the wind. Great for high speed passes & back out to the original slope or a very long landing approach (but don't go low over the magnetic trees).
Closest for you is South (North?) Landing
Park behind the Living Sea Centre then a bit of a trudge around the Sculpture Trail to a fairly limited slope. We only used it when the wind direction ruled out the other options.
Very occasionally we parked at St Leonards church, Speeton then walked over the fields to the cliffs that are SE of Reighton Sands. Not sure what the situation is re access permission but I believe some locals flew there.

Hole of Horcum with restrictions as mentioned & the ridge overlooking Levisham Station with the same restrictions.

For more up to date info it would probably pay you to visit Grimsby Model Centre. The owner Max Bradley was a regular slope flier at the holiday week & later took over the event organising. He'll no doubt be able to also give you info on any sites closer to your home area.
HTH.

Pax vobiscum