November 20, 2019, 19:04:06 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

November 20, 2019, 19:04:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Wasted day!

Started by PDR, October 20, 2019, 10:45:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PDR

Yesterday was a potentially good flying day - a bit breezy, but no rain and (more to the point) my Better Third was away for the whole day so I didn't need to get back for anything.

I planned to take my racer, my hotliner and old faithful (Wot4 Foam-e Mk2). While loading it into the car I crunched the elevator on the racer, so I went down to the field with just the hotliner, the wottie and a big box of charged batteries. First up was to be the wottie, so I put a battery in it - only to have the ESC beep constantly. Bizzare - this is normally a reliable plug&go machine. I guessed it was either a loose connection or I had blown something (ESC or motor). I spent an hour removing prop, spinner and cowl so I could check for broken or intermittent contacts but to no avail. Very strange.

So with a sigh I put it to one side and flew the hotliner. This was enjoyable enough - climbing to a dot with a 6 second burst of power and then doing 180mph passes, loops and rolls before climbing again. I had a few flights, but by 15:00 the sun had moved to a place that essentially made hotlining impossible - either the climb or the dive would go too close to the sun for "up to a dot" flying.

So I reluctantly packed up and went home early. Once at home I pulled the prop/spinner/cowl again, and tried the motor with a different ESC using a servo tester - it worked fine. So I assumed the ESC must have blown - annoying, but not a major disaster. But to be sure (to be sure) I reconnected the original ESC and plugged the servo tester into it - this worked fine as well. Really odd!

So I fetched the Tx, reconnected everything and powered up - and got the constant beeping again. This had me scratching my head, because the setup worked fine on the servo tester but refused to work from the Rx! I stared at the Tx and the penny dropped. The last time I flew it I had knocked the throttle trim up a few clicks so that the prop didn't stop when the throttle was closed on the downside of manoeuvres and while taxiing back in. This trim was far enough forward to stop the ESC arming on switch-on. I have a side-button set as a kill switch, so I was using that to shut off the throttle and to allow the ESC to arm, but I'd forgotten all about it.

So there was actually nothing wrong with anything but the prat holding the Tx - if I'd set the kill switch before connecting the battery it would have worked, and I would have both had a decent day of flying AND not wasted 90 mins messing about testing stuff!

DUH!!

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Chippie

Quote from: PDR on October 20, 2019, 10:45:49 amYesterday was a potentially good flying day - a bit breezy, but no rain and (more to the point) my Better Third was away for the whole day.....

PDR

" better third " ?

Who or what is the lesser third in this triangle? 😂
Eccentric millionaire Financed by 'er indoors'
Site Admin and forum moderator

leckyBB

Quote from: PDR on October 20, 2019, 10:45:49 amSo I fetched the Tx, reconnected everything and powered up - and got the constant beeping again. This had me scratching my head, because the setup worked fine on the servo tester but refused to work from the Rx! I stared at the Tx and the penny dropped. The last time I flew it I had knocked the throttle trim up a few clicks so that the prop didn't stop when the throttle was closed on the downside of manoeuvres and while taxiing back in. This trim was far enough forward to stop the ESC arming on switch-on. I have a side-button set as a kill switch, so I was using that to shut off the throttle and to allow the ESC to arm, but I'd forgotten all about it.

So there was actually nothing wrong with anything but the prat holding the Tx - if I'd set the kill switch before connecting the battery it would have worked, and I would have both had a decent day of flying AND not wasted 90 mins messing about testing stuff!

DUH!!

PDR
I feel for you. That same thing happened to me a few moths ago. In my case the throttle trim had been accidentally nudged up creating the same beeping and refusal to arm. I too went back home to investigate before I found what had happened.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

PDR

October 20, 2019, 14:21:11 pm #3 Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:21:35 am by PDR
Quote from: Chippie on October 20, 2019, 11:32:07 am" better third " ?

Who or what is the lesser third in this triangle? 😂

When I called her my Better Half it was challenged due to the obvious volumetric inaccuracy of the claim

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

Having a model shop a while ago I came across all sorts of problems with controllers,,, Futaba had to be reversed to function, Hitec end points needed 'widened' 20% both ends etc,,,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

British Victory

Had a similar experience myself yesterday, flying my I-sport 61, one perfect (for me) flight, second flight about 5 minutes in and it went haywire, at one stage the model was in the valley below us and behind the bloody treetops down there as well.
Finally recovered and got it landed, on finals I went to drop the flaps (no wind) only to find the lever was in the fully extended position.
Gave up for the day at this point, glad to be going home with the model in one piece.
I can't remember pushing the flap lever down and the flaps were up when I checked all the functions just before it took off.
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

chaz2b

October 31, 2019, 14:38:10 pm #6 Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 14:39:19 pm by chaz2b
I've always claimed my aircraft failings from interference, things were going fine, till ...I.... interfered with it!

Love your style of flying Peter.

Chaz@2b
There are many roads to success,.....mine is currently being resurfaced! However, all detours have been removed and financial issues have been met....let's go fly!

e-flite_rules

Quote from: chaz2b on October 31, 2019, 14:38:10 pmI've always claimed my aircraft failings from interference, things were going fine, till ...I.... interfered with it!

Love your style of flying Peter.

Chaz@2b

So true! In my past career in the automotive design world we were always trying to address potential risks.  However we never managed to resolve the most obvious one of all.........

The moment the salesman hands over the keys to the buyer.