December 14, 2019, 07:36:45 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

December 14, 2019, 07:36:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

DSMX and DSM"

Started by propwash, December 03, 2019, 16:54:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

propwash

December 03, 2019, 16:54:48 pm Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 16:56:35 pm by propwash
can someone explain the difference between DSMX and DSM2
Is it important to obtain the correct matching for Tx and RX
SORRY, LOOKS LIKE i'VE POSTED TWICE.
Well Flown? tell the wife.

jrman

A DSM2 Tx will operate either a DSM2 or DSMX Rx. A DSMX Tx will only operate a DSMX Rx.

propwash

Thanks , just the what \I wanted to know, thanks again.
PW

meharibear

I am not sure that is necessarily true?????  I think you will find that an early DSM2 Tx will not operate an DSMX Rx whereas a more recent one might (depending on model).  For example I'm pretty certain my original model Dx 7 will not operate a DSMX Rx.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

FrankS

Quote from: meharibear on December 03, 2019, 17:51:02 pmI am not sure that is necessarily true?????  I think you will find that an early DSM2 Tx will not operate an DSMX Rx whereas a more recent one might (depending on model).  For example I'm pretty certain my original model Dx 7 will not operate a DSMX Rx.

The very first Spektrum systems were DSM and rated for parkfly only, these are incompatible with DSM2 as well. DSM2 transmitters will work with most DSMX receivers. I have one of the first DSM2 Dx6i Txs and it works fine with DSMx receivers.

PDR

DSM2 was the protocol which used two "channels" 40 channels apart. Which pair was selected on initial connection after switch-on. It works well enough in most club environments, but at very large shows in america it suffered some public failures when more than 40 Txs were switched on at the same time. So they dreamed up "DSMX" which is a more conventional synchronised channel-hopper (I believe it hops between five randomly selected channels set at either bind or power-up). Horizon brought it out when they stabbed MaGreggor in the back - so it was only available from Horizon Txs.

AIUI the transmitters are incompatible in that a DSMX Tx won't drive one of the early DSM2-only receivers. But the receiving *hardware* is identical, and AFAIK most recent receivers will bind in either DSM2 or DSMX mode (whichever is trying to bind with it), and save the setting with the model-match data.

The Orange stuff is a bit different - the Orange Tx modules offer either DSM2 or DSMX in both "fast" and "slow". When you bind it chooses the "highest" option the Rx will accept (ie DSMX-fast is highest and DSM2-slow is lowest). Some of the earlier Orange Rxs only offer DSM2, while others offer DSMX or DSM2. If you change models you might switch from one that is DSMX to another that is DSM2, and the TX module has no way of knowing (unlike the Horizon one that saves the data in the model memory) so they provide the facility to change it manually. Three presses on the bind button cycles the Tx through the four options and the bind light flashes in 0,1,2or3 flash bursts to tell you which it's in. I simply put black dots (indelible marker) on the battery hatch to tell me how many flashes the Tx should show for that model. I've been using the orange stuff for ages now, and even the very early single-antenna DSM2 Rxs seem to just work fine. I have a later single antenna DSMX receiver in my hotliner, which goes from a barely perceptible dot at hundreds of feet and half a mile upwind without the slightest hint of any control loss, so I'm comfortable with it. In the bigger stuff I tend to use other orange receivers with twin remote antennas because the installation is easier, but I still don't have any concerns about either the Tx module or the receivers.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

propwash

Oh dear.It'snot as simple as I thought. I
was trying to purchase a DX6i, which has both dsmx and dsm2 features. The ltest Spectrum TX's seem to be dsmx. I  only want to use it for indoor, these night vapour things are all spectrum.Keep looking.

PDR

Get one of the modules - they cover all the options and you don't need a new tx.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

propwash

been looking for one, where can I get one for my Futaba FF9

PDR

Well this one is the "DIY module" which allows you wire it internally and mount the antenna/bind-button/LED in convenient locations (I have one of these in my Multiplex Evo):

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-dsmx-dsm2-compatible-2-4ghz-diy-transmitter-module.html

They used to do a plug-in futaba one but they don'r seem to be available at the moment.

PDR

JimG

Is it not the case that any new transmitter (this includes modules) using DSM or DSM2 protocols are not legal to be sold as these protocols do not use LBT (Listen before transmitting) DSMX is OK.

Jim
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

propwash

Quote from: PDR on December 03, 2019, 20:46:19 pmWell this one is the "DIY module" which allows you wire it internally and mount the antenna/bind-button/LED in convenient locations (I have one of these in my Multiplex Evo):

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-dsmx-dsm2-compatible-2-4ghz-diy-transmitter-module.html

They used to do a plug-in futaba one but they don'r seem to be available at the moment.

PDR

Thanks, I'll look into that.

propwash

Mkron i8 8Ch Radio Transmitter DSM2 DSMX Found this , any one know about them.