RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

February 25, 2020, 19:34:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

It's amazing what you find in the office

Started by PDR, December 06, 2019, 08:19:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PDR

A couple of days ago we were moving one of our experimental departments into a new office. They had previously been in a large suite of rooms at the back of a hangar and their new home is much nicer - proper offices and a decent lab area (with heating!). But the new home is smaller, so they have been emptying the shelves, cupboards and store rooms and throwing away anything they don't actually need. There was all sorts of stuff there - lots of bits from old UAV programmes and swarm experiments, lots of arduino development bits and (for reasons no one seemed to be able to remember) two of these:

The boxes hadn't even been unpacked (all the shipping tapes were still stuck down).

They were going to throw them out, so needless to say I brought one home and the other is under *my* desk waiting for the next time I fly back from there. The distructions are vague, but I'm thinking a some 9g servos, 280w power set with a 30A ESC and 3s-2200 as a starting point. I have all of these in the spares box, so it will only cost me a couple of hours assembly work to find out how rubbish it is.

Every now and then life throws the odd crumb...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

itsme

very nice. Almost makes it worth going to work....

paulinfrance

Mode 2 THE only way to fly

PDR

I'll let you know, but I don't crash much. In the early 90s Hanno Pretner told me his secret to minimising crashes and it's stood me in good stead ever since.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

Quote from: PDR on December 06, 2019, 10:01:02 amI'll let you know, but I don't crash much. In the early 90s Hanno Pretner told me his secret to minimising crashes and it's stood me in good stead ever since.

PDR

So why didn't you listen to him ?. ;D

PDR

The Saint. (Owen)

Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

PDR

itsme

RobC

Avoid flying with negative altitude?
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

PDR

Well a couple of days off (as I've finished work for the year) allowed some workshop time to put it together:

ex3301.jpg
ex3302.jpg
ex3303.jpg

CG came out slightly behind the recommended position, but it still looks safe so I'll try it before changing anything. It's probably overpowered with a 325w power system and a 2200-3s pack, but that's what throttles are for. I may maiden it tomorrow if the wind backs off a bit.

PDR

itsme

I should be wary...its overpowered and tail heavy, it could be a bit of a handful!

paulinfrance

Quote from PDR

'Finished my work for the year',, :study: 

You mean that now Boris is here to stay you have given up ?. :''

SteveBB

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

PDR

Flew it today. Ailerons are unexpectedly effective - throw needs reducing by 30-40%, and the elevator needs knocking back by a similar amount. Other than that it's quite a nice enough example of this type of thing. 300watts into an APCe9-7.5 overpowers it nicely. Knife edge needs just a smidge of up trim. I won't know what the slow rolls and rolling circles are like until I've tamed the ailerons a bit. I initially thought it was tail heavy, but I think that was just a trim issue.

Too much elevator at any speed will flick it, and it will drop a wing if you do final approach too nose-high.

Overall conclusion: worth every penny I paid for it...

PDR