RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

February 25, 2020, 19:54:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Possible club/flying option.

Started by SteveBB, December 13, 2019, 03:16:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveBB

December 13, 2019, 03:16:00 am Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:20:20 am by SteveBB
Geographically, Sacramento is in the middle of a huge valley in Northern California. The nearest places to slope soar are quite a ride away and not so plentiful. Last Sunday herself and me went out again for breakfast to the airport next door as they have a great little restaurant (run by a guy who comes from Hong Kong, but lived in Sheffield for over a year-He asked if I was from north or south, he meant Yorkshire, I thought he meant UK), Anyway on the wall are a few plaques for a local model flying club.

For months I've been promising to find out more, so after breakfast I looked them up and we drove over. Thirty minute drive and there was someone there. I introduced myself to who turned out to be a past president of the club and he gave me all the info. He was quite interested in flying in the UK, and asked a bit about it. I could only tell him about my own experiences as I don't do pylon racing, helicopter impressions, FPV or pretty much anything with a fan on the front. They don't have turbines because the tarmac runway is only 400 foot long. They have over a dozen set up benches, all with power hook up, a proper club house (Running water, microwave etc),all for the princely sum of $120 per year. You have to be in the AMA though and assessed for flying before let loose alone. It's an option though as it's quite close to where I live.

What are the diagonal lines on the runway for?

http://sacramentoareamodelers.com/
Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

paulinfrance

Looks good, but 'only' 400 foot runway, I flew my Wren powered Rafale for years on our 'less' than 300 foot runway,,  :af
 Now an 'enormous 450 foot one where we all get lost on,,  :D
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

itsme

Its a dream site. Nuffink more to say.

PDR

Quote from: SteveBB on December 13, 2019, 03:16:00 amWhat are the diagonal lines on the runway for?

http://sacramentoareamodelers.com/

They are to try to tell light aircraft pilots that it isn't a real runway - they have this problem a lot in the colonies. I rememeber when we were over at the AMA site in Muncie they told us that they'd had several aircraft try to land on their runways and only abort when they got down below 50' and found that the run way was actually small rather than further away...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

By law we have this on a 4m x 4m square,,interfiction-atterrir.png

SteveBB

Quote from: paulinfrance on December 13, 2019, 07:15:34 amLooks good, but 'only' 400 foot runway, I flew my Wren powered Rafale for years on our 'less' than 300 foot runway,,  :af
 Now an 'enormous 450 foot one where we all get lost on,,  :D

I was quoting the guy and meant to put 'only' in italics. He mentioned another club a bit further south west who had a 1400 foot runway, 'because they fly big scale and jets'. Thing is, there's plenty of flat open land that won't or can't be built on that is reasonably cheap to rent, so the flying clubs make use of it.

paulinfrance

"Big scale" planes and pilots normally only 'use' around
50 meters of runway,, :af

itsme

some do, but certain big models need a bit more for safety. In calm conditions I know a few that, even with flaps, will take 100m to roll on. Jets need more unless they have brakes.

paulinfrance

Quote from: itsme on December 14, 2019, 08:23:31 amsome do, but certain big models need a bit more for safety. In calm conditions I know a few that, even with flaps, will take 100m to roll on. Jets need more unless they have brakes.

Jets over here use around 100 metres in the morning and 200 metres after the Paella and wine,, ^-^

JimG

Quote from: itsme on December 14, 2019, 08:23:31 amsome do, but certain big models need a bit more for safety. In calm conditions I know a few that, even with flaps, will take 100m to roll on. Jets need more unless they have brakes.

All jets in the USA must have brakes if they are flying under AMA rules.
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

paulinfrance

Quote from: JimG on December 14, 2019, 11:35:33 amAll jets in the USA must have brakes if they are flying under AMA rules.

The only rule here is the rudder and nose wheel must be radio controlled, I only put brakes on my Rafale 6 months ago after 15 years of flying it, as
after a few drinks and my new when 8kg turbine it was difficult to stop on a calm day,, 

SteveBB

Quote from: paulinfrance on December 14, 2019, 07:21:01 am"Big scale" planes and pilots normally only 'use' around
50 meters of runway,, :af

I think they've watched B52's take off that leave a gap between themselves and the ground due more to the curvature of the Earth rather than lift and thrust. :)