RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 22, 2020, 08:39:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

A Happy New year to all,

Started by paulinfrance, December 30, 2019, 10:57:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

paulinfrance

To All of you, even those who have or are going to emigrate, :''  and the 'stayers, all is not lost, ^-^

A Happy New year to all,,,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

lanicopter

Don't worry, they won't emigrate - it's all just the usual hyperbole designed to give their weak statements a little more clout.

Didn't work, saw through it - happy new year :)
Current fuel status: "Master Caution"

itsme

Don't think I'd emigrate to France, Paul... it's in a much worse state than the UK!
Happy new decade if we survive until then. It would be nice, as we are arranging a NYD fly in.

paulinfrance

Quote from: itsme on December 30, 2019, 12:04:50 pmDon't think I'd emigrate to France, Paul... it's in a much worse state than the UK!
Happy new decade if we survive until then. It would be nice, as we are arranging a NYD fly in.

well good news today, between 0.5% and 1% rise on out pensions this year, :co  something the President Promised' :study:  and in inflation to be expected to be 1.6% it's all down hill here,, :ev 

Not forgetting the 1 year of the yellow jackets $%&
9 months of Hospital staff $%&
6 months of the fire brigade $%& 
And nearly a month of the trains, $%&

Anyone Emigrating here want to flog off their house cheap ?. :D

Brian Cooper

One of my daughters (plus her hubby and four of my grandchildren) emigrated to Australia in October.
They are loving it..... and I am missing them.  :'(

Australia certainly sounds tempting. . . :)

Happy New Year, everyone.

nick.henderson

Quote from: Brian Cooper on December 31, 2019, 00:50:47 amAustralia certainly sounds tempting. . .
Everywhere, besides where we are, always sounds tempting Brian!
Oz is home to 21 out of the top 25 deadliest snakes in the world...don't land in the long grass off to the side of the runway!
Happy New Year all from the home of typhoons, earthquakes, drug related killings and abject poverty.
We the willing, led by the knowing - have been doing so much, for so long, with so little
We are now qualified to do absolutely anything with nothing!!

paulinfrance

Quote from: Brian Cooper on December 31, 2019, 00:50:47 amOne of my daughters (plus her hubby and four of my grandchildren) emigrated to Australia in October.
They are loving it..... and I am missing them.  :'(

Australia certainly sounds tempting. . . :)

Happy New Year, everyone.

We should have emigrated there in the 60's, maybe a good idea at the time, :study: 
but nowadays the only problem with moving to Australia, France and the US, only to name a few is the people who live there,,, :embarassed:

PDR

Quote from: Brian Cooper on December 31, 2019, 00:50:47 amAustralia certainly sounds tempting. . . :)

Really? Must be all that clean air annd nice weather.

Aside from the fire problem Australia (the whole continent) is running out of water. The aquifers have been getting lower for decades and they don't get the rain to refill them.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

itsme

Quote from: PDR on December 31, 2019, 09:15:39 amThe aquifers have been getting lower for decades and they don't get the rain to refill them.

PDR
Exactly what they said about Britain. Look how that ended up...

PDR

Quote from: itsme on December 31, 2019, 09:32:20 amExactly what they said about Britain. Look how that ended up...

It was said for Britain after 2 years of low rainfall (the second of which had almost no rainfall). That could be seen as a statistical ripple. The situation ion Australia is different - the aquifers have been dropping for 40 years, which is no statistical blip. In that time they have had periods of heavy rainfall, but it didn't significantly affect the water levels. Australia is significantly dependant on mining (both for wealth generation and employment) but mining needs lots of water in its processes and for the last 20 years mining has been severely limited by limits on the amount of water they are allowed to use. 50 years ago even fairly shallow mines had to pump water out (as we do in the UK), but for the last 20 years even the deepest mines remain dry (something that didn't happen in the UK even at the height of our "droughts" in 1976 and 2012. So the situations aren't even vaguely comparable.

Then there's the detail that pretty well every bit of the continent which isn't arid desert is currently either burning or under threat of fire:

My sister lives in Sydney (in the middle of the city, not far from the harbour). For the last month or so she's had to wear facemask filters when outside. The fires are so large they are creating their own climate - with high winds and thunderstorms (dry ones, sadly). They hope that rains will come in March and that might reduce the fires, but other than that they predict that the fires will finally die down in August because they will have consumed all the vegetation on the continent.

Yes, sounds like a real paradise.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

meharibear

Well my daughter lives in Australia, just outside Cairns in a wooden house backing onto the rainforest (not altogether sensible when you consider that the rainforest is also the home of a local breed of termites which even eat "termite proof" wood!)  If I was younger I would move out there as well.  Still their current worries are the raging bush fires and all joking aside my thoughts are with all those threatened by them.  No easy short term answers I'm afraid https://news.sky.com/story/australia-increasingly-menacing-bushfires-force-4-000-to-take-shelter-on-beach-11898506
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

itsme

Its all very scary for those living there, but you have to remember that Australia is basically a desert with a few bits of green edging. At 40 degrees in every state, its not a good place to be. My Grandaughter is visiting the UK at the moment, she is grateful for our rubbish weather.

PDR

Quote from: itsme on December 31, 2019, 11:08:23 amIts all very scary for those living there, but you have to remember that Australia is basically a desert with a few bits of green edging.

What, you mean apart from the jungles, the mountains, the swamps etc etc? Sure, there is a central area which has always been pretty arid (but nothing like as arid as, say, egypt or arabia), but the "bits of green edging" used to be hundreds of miles wide in most places.

PDR

itsme

GGIYF Apart from Antarctica, Australia is the driest continent in the world. About 35 per cent of the continent receives so little rain, it is effectively desert. In total, 70 per cent of the mainland receives less than 500 millimetres of rain annually, which classes it as arid, or semi-arid.

paulinfrance

Quote from: itsme on December 31, 2019, 11:08:23 amIts all very scary for those living there, but you have to remember that Australia is basically a desert with a few bits of green edging. At 40 degrees in every state, its not a good place to be. My Grandaughter is visiting the UK at the moment, she is grateful for our rubbish weather.

And there were also Aborigines, until the White man came,, :banghead:

So they were better off without me,, :'' ,

itsme

Brian Cooper

Well, my mob have been out there since the middle of October and they haven't died once yet.
Fortunately, they are on the other side of the country to where the fires are.
They are absolutely loving life in Oz.