RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

January 22, 2020, 08:22:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Just a question regarding ESC

Started by Albert, January 08, 2020, 10:28:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert

Gang
I am building an electric Flair Se5, and have bought an overlander motor and Esc. Planning to run it on 4 cells, with a separate rx and servo supply. Overlander say disconnect the white lead from the esc to disable the sbec.

I presume i just then use a switch and nim h plugged into the rx.  as per my IC models: yes ??

Advice please.

RobC

Disconnect the red(positive supply) lead on the esc, the white wire is the signal and generally regarded as being useful if the esc is to work.  Otherwise yes, just run your NiMh pack through a switch into any spare receiver socket exactly as for an IC model.
flying's easy - it's getting it back down in one piece that's the hard part

Albert

Thanks. I shall use a small servo extension lead from the esc to the reciever that way I won't damage the esc. Then disconnect that red wire.😊

JimG

Just remove the red wire from the servo plug, this will not damage the esc. Tape the connnecter on to the wire to insulate it, the connecter can be easily replaced in the plug if you need to use the bec later..
Jim Gill
Dundee Model Aircraft Club

Marcol

It begs the question, why do you think you need a separate battery for the Rx supply ?

The ESC is more than capable of supplying the Rx and servos. All you're doing is adding more weight unnecessarily.

I use the onboard bec on all my electric models up to 4s without any problems and even some more sedate 6s models.
You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape . If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does use the duct tape

Albert

Quote from: Marcol on January 09, 2020, 18:45:19 pmIt begs the question, why do you think you need a separate battery for the Rx supply ?

The ESC is more than capable of supplying the Rx and servos. All you're doing is adding more weight unnecessarily.

I use the onboard bec on all my electric models up to 4s without any problems and even some more sedate 6s models.

Sir, you are probably right. The model will be using 3 servos on aileron and rudder. But I know it will need weight in the nose, so belt and braces.?? Or not ??. Also, will the  esc still shut the motor off when the bec is disabled.?

f3fman

The esc operation is the same whether or not you have disabled the bec  (well - I have never heard of it being any different !)

PDR

I'm kinda hoping that you're using a fourth servo on the elevator as well, or flights could be a tad brief...

If you're only using four standard-size analogue servos on 4s the ESC should be more than able to handle the current. If you were in 6s and the BEC was a linear (UBEC) r5ather than switching (SBEC) then there might be some concerns, but I personally would stick to the BEC supply as more reliable. That way you never have to worry about whether the receiver battery is charged, whether you left the model switched on etc. Each flight battery change guarantees the radio has plenty of electrons in the tank!

What ESC is it?

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Albert

Quote from: PDR on January 11, 2020, 19:12:14 pmI'm kinda hoping that you're using a fourth servo on the elevator as well, or flights could be a tad brief...

If you're only using four standard-size analogue servos on 4s the ESC should be more than able to handle the current. If you were in 6s and the BEC was a linear (UBEC) r5ather than switching (SBEC) then there might be some concerns, but I personally would stick to the BEC supply as more reliable. That way you never have to worry about whether the receiver battery is charged, whether you left the model switched on etc. Each flight battery change guarantees the radio has plenty of electrons in the tank!

What ESC is it?

PDR
Thanks for the advice people. It's a 60 amp Overlander SBEC designed for the Overlander thumper motor.

PDR

That has a switching BEC which should handle 4 normal servos without even trying. You shouldn't need the complication of a separate Rx battery with that setup.

Don't be fooled by claims that any ESCs were specially designed for particular brands. Pretty well all the ESCs we see are designed and built in one of five chinese factories (Hobbywing, SkyRC Technology Co, XingQiong Technology, Sunrise Model and HiFei) and given different labels for the different brands. EFlite, Dualsky, Purplepower and Turnigy ESCs are mostly made by Hobbywing. Sunrise make most of the Jeti/Hacker ESCs plus a few of the larger Purplepower ones. IIRC the Overlander ones are actually XingQiong Technology products.

This is not to say they aren't good products - they are. It's just that there are lost of the same products out there at massively different prices. Jeti Spin controllers sold for a hundred quid are identical (made from the same components on the same production line in the same factory) as some turnigy ones which are under thirty quid...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

Albert

Quote from: PDR on January 11, 2020, 23:44:31 pmThat has a switching BEC which should handle 4 normal servos without even trying. You shouldn't need the complication of a separate Rx battery with that setup.

Don't be fooled by claims that any ESCs were specially designed for particular brands. Pretty well all the ESCs we see are designed and built in one of five chinese factories (Hobbywing, SkyRC Technology Co, XingQiong Technology, Sunrise Model and HiFei) and given different labels for the different brands. EFlite, Dualsky, Purplepower and Turnigy ESCs are mostly made by Hobbywing. Sunrise make most of the Jeti/Hacker ESCs plus a few of the larger Purplepower ones. IIRC the Overlander ones are actually XingQiong Technology products.

This is not to say they aren't good products - they are. It's just that there are lost of the same products out there at massively different prices. Jeti Spin controllers sold for a hundred quid are identical (made from the same components on the same production line in the same factory) as some turnigy ones which are under thirty quid...

PDR
Thanks for the advice. I have both hobbywing (60 amp) and a jeti spin (40 amp) esc and both run cool as ice.