February 20, 2020, 07:19:59 am

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

February 20, 2020, 07:19:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Help needed

Started by greyfly, February 04, 2020, 10:06:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

greyfly

Gents I have a motor and speed controller that are at fault.
I'm not sure we're the problem is it could be the motor or the esc. If I purchased a multi meter could I use that to assitain which one is at fault. If so how? as I'm no electrician. Any help would be great fully appreciated.
Real aeroplanes have propellers...anything else is nothing but a paraffin burner...........besides,

PDR

February 04, 2020, 10:17:24 am #1 Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:54:58 am by PDR
A meter will be of no use to you unless you know what you want to measure. What would you want to measure?

What are the symptoms - does the ESC beep on start up? Does the motor kick at all? Does the magic white smoke refuse to go back inside?

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

The first thing is does the motor 'sing', and with some radios ( Futaba ) you have to change the servo sense on the stick ' servo reverse' and others like Hitec go from 100% throws to the maximum 120% ?.
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

FlyinBrian

February 04, 2020, 12:46:09 pm #3 Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 12:47:14 pm by FlyinBrian
Did you buy them from a shop? if so take them back and ask for help. It would be helpful to know Motor and ESC types
Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

greyfly

Gents further to your kind replies here's the tec points/info you requested. The model is a T/N mosquito. The motor is a 5055-580 from 4 max. The esc is a pptesc 60 au, again from 4max and is the recommended set up for this model. The problem I have is that after a heavy landing the motor and esc on one side stopped working. Hence I suspect that one or the other has failed and my enquiry about a multi meter to see which has stopped working. I look forward to your further response.
Real aeroplanes have propellers...anything else is nothing but a paraffin burner...........besides,

clive_f

take the suspect motor out and connect it to the esc on the other side. and vice versa simples

Clive

Chippie

It's an idea, but we dont know if the crash has caused any magic smoke release...

I suppose the best idea would be to swap the speed controller over to the good side first...if the motor runs, then obviously a motor related issue...this way avoids the possibility of damaging the good speedo with a duff motor...
Eccentric millionaire Financed by 'er indoors'
Site Admin and forum moderator

paulinfrance

I could also be a bad solder connection, so does the motor sing when you plug the battery in ?
 Does it 'shudder' when you accelerate ? ( one phase not working,),
Mode 2 THE only way to fly