RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

April 09, 2020, 14:16:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Glass Blades

Started by PDR, February 23, 2020, 09:22:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PDR

After a bit of a challenge from a clubmate I'm refurbing my Kyosho Concept EP*, converting to lipo for longer flights and swapping to a brushless motor because that's cheaper than getting a lipo-compatible brushed controller.

It's all going well, but I'm thinking about rotor blades. The original machine used kyosho's moulded plastic blades - a wire spar with foam blades and plastic skins. I have two used sets of these and two new sets, but they were never exactly robust and I'm not overly keen on finding out whether they have deteriorated after ~30 years of storage especially as the lipo setup will probably have a higher head-speed. I also have one weighted wooden set which is probably OK, but I'd like alternatives.

Looking at the (very limited) choice available today I noted that Trex 500 blades are pretty close. They're the right chord and root thickness, but they're about 25mm too long. I'm looking at some of the glass sets and wondering whether it's feasible to trim an inch of the end, epoxy on a balsa or spruce tip and then re-balance. I've never used glass/carbon blades so I don't know how they'd respond to being cut down. Has anyone ever tried it?

TIA,

PDR

* To be strictly accurate I have something over two and a half of these which I accumulated - two complete airframes, one airframe without a tailboom or canopy, a large tub of spares and a Jetranger bodyshell
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

I don't know what make of FG blades that you are looking at 'trimming' but beware most of them have a piece of piano wire in them and lead for balancing and giving the blade a good c of g, I used wood blades on mine as the polystyrene ones were crap, can't you find some ones made for it ?.
https://www.ebay.fr/i/293120928260?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=709-134431-41854-0&mkcid=2&itemid=293120928260&targetid=854311505942&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9040835&poi=&campaignid=1669940630&mkgroupid=89696326722&rlsatarget=pla-854311505942&abcId=1139516&merchantid=116380142&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo9Ct7bnn5wIVjbTtCh07eAF-EAQYASABEgI5QvD_BwE

Shuttle Blades ?,
 or these,,
https://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/nhp-razor-pro-30-size-51-5cm.html

Or makes some wood ones yourself,,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

PDR

Thanks, but those are for the Concept 30 not the Concept EP. The original blades haven't been made for a couple of decades, so any "new" ones will be "new old stock" of the same age as the two pairs of unused ones I already have.

I suppose I could refurb my Concept 30 as well, but (a) can't face messing with non-racing engines again and (b) it ate clutches, so I doubt new clutch bells are still available.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

so 12 cm difference in length ?.

PDR

Longer, wider chord, thicker root stubs, heavier, in fact completely incompatible in all respects. Apart from that they sound ideal. It's a complete mystery to me why I was even ASKING about the Trex500 blades which are the right width, thickness and weight and are only 25mm too long. How silly of me.

Now let's ignore our resident gaulic loony and see if anyone else has an answer that's actually relevant. If not then fine, I'll try it and find out. I just wanted to know if anyone else had actually done it first.

So thank you for your contributions Paul, but I don't think we need to trouble you further.

PDR

paulinfrance

No trouble at all, :''  I have made and modified all sorts of helicopter and autogyro blades, anyway at 20°C and flying most days and running around the sunny Cevennes hills on my motorbikes  :co  I need a rest and nothing better than a bit googling,,  :study:

Gaspin

If you have a significant increase in head speed, perhaps a shorter slimmer blade is available have you looked at Banggood for the Alzrc range ?
They work well for me on conservative aeros.