RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

April 09, 2020, 13:31:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Flying fields closed

Started by PDR, March 23, 2020, 14:34:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PDR

We've just been notified by MoD that all three of our flying fields are closed until further notice.

Bother.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

So they have put a padlocks on the gates,,, :co
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

itsme

Ours is safe enough. Private and we have our own gates and locks (both clubs) Its whether they jump on us for traveling
is the risk. We have notices advising 2m between people, but its dead quiet anyway.

PDR

Quote from: paulinfrance on March 23, 2020, 14:37:33 pmSo they have put a padlocks on the gates,,, :co

There are already padlocks on the gates. But these are on enclosed MoD land - you can't get in without passing gatehouses.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

They are all open over here, our one has a plastic chain with a hook into a post, no point in fitting a padlock they would nick it, on the left of it nothing for 200 metres, so you can drive straight onto the field, runway and where the tables are,,

wunwinglow

Our farmer has just told us our field is closed, says its on the advice of his insurance company; we have to drive through his (gated) farmyard area.

itsme

Quote from: paulinfrance on March 23, 2020, 15:50:36 pmThey are all open over here, our one has a plastic chain with a hook into a post, no point in fitting a padlock they would nick it, on the left of it nothing for 200 metres, so you can drive straight onto the field, runway and where the tables are,,
but how do you get to the field?

paulinfrance

Quote from: itsme on March 23, 2020, 16:09:19 pmbut how do you get to the field?

I can drive with a 'declaration' signed by myself, as for what reason,, I can always find one,,

GordonMk2

The paradox is that I rent a field and therefore don't have distancing issues with other members..coz there ain't any BUT journeys have to be justified...so no flying for 3 weeks here at least  :banghead:

fokker

We closed our kitchen and toilets last week  and have taken the decision to close the field tonight

THE BLACKBIRD

Your told to stay home, what is there in that that you dont understand for christ sake,
The man that never made a mistake
Never made anything

PDR

It's easy to heckle these measures, and identify holes/paradoxes in them, but as far as I can see there really aren't any alternatives and the government are simply trying to do the right thing. So I think it behoves all grown-ups to just accept and get on with it. YMMV.

I think Boris showed strong leadership by appearing on TV without hiding his personal decision to avoid using a hairdresser. Perhaps unruly hair is the new well groomed...

Keep well, stay healthy and keep breathing...

PDR

itsme

Boris, (hair notwithstanding) has, in my opinion, been more than accommodating and far less draconian than some other governments. He may not have all the powers yet, but he could easily invoke a state of emergency. But....you will always get a small minority who flout the rules and those who interpret them in different ways. (Mike Ashley for instance?) as for flying, I really can not see the risk in me getting in my car, driving the two miles to my local site and flying, keeping 2m away from anyone else who may be there. Is that classed as exercise?
As Pete says, stay safe everyone. Incidentally, some of us who normally meet at the pub on a Sunday night to natter and do club business, are carrying on a long tradition with a Whatsapp conference video call pub night in our own virtual pub. 8.00 PM Sunday night. Something to look forward to.

paulinfrance

Sorry but stay in, means stay in !, :''  I have only been out once in our 7 day curfew ( 2 klms ) to my local shop at 13h to miss all the toilet paper idiots, no trolley just milk, cream, and meat, and straight out, if wee all do this it will be over in less than 3 months,, so don't be a c**** :-X

itsme

I dont get where the risk is in getting in my car on the drive, going to a field on a farm with nobody else around and flying, even if another loony is on the same field (unlikely) and over two metres away, then driving back on to my drive..incidentally we have our milk delivered and a friend has insisted on shopping for us as she works at the supermarket...

PDR

I'm getting hints that the virus is now airborne. Once airborne they suggest it will remain active for 48 hours, falling on surfaces and being inhaled.

So we're being told to stay inside to reduce exposure.

PDR

itsme

Staying inside boss. Tube in London this morning...
tube.jpg

paulinfrance

Quote from: itsme on March 24, 2020, 09:30:04 amI dont get where the risk is in getting in my car on the drive, going to a field on a farm with nobody else around and flying, even if another loony is on the same field (unlikely) and over two metres away, then driving back on to my drive..incidentally we have our milk delivered and a friend has insisted on shopping for us as she works at the supermarket...

So you have NEVER had a road accident !

itsme

I would say the risk is low, as it is a quiet back road and the main road near me is deserted.

GordonMk2

I'm exactly the same in that my field is nowhere near anyone BUT Boris has asked for unnecessary journeys to be stopped.  Someone said you could have an accident going to and from there?  it's literally 5 minutes drive and sure, it could happen on an open straight 'C' class road that's empty of vehicles these days, but I've got a Land Rover Discovery and the other guy might come off worse than having the lager virus.  ;D   

The Saint. (Owen)

Boris says"you can exercise outside once a day, so why not 'exercise' it the flying field or on the pier if you fish. ;) ;)
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

Michael_Rolls

I hardly go out nowadays any way, but somehow, being told not to feels different - but I am obeying the government. Interesting to look at the comments on the BBC website. Most folk accept it is a necessity, but there are the usual conspiracy fantasists claiming its all a ploy so big business can destroy all competition, and one clown promising that today he will be demonstrating outside No 10 (wonder if he's noticed the gates and the police?)
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

itsnoteasy

"Hello There Michael", I have not seen you posting lately so good to see your still around and ok, take care .. Goes for all on here too ..
 Pete F..

GordonMk2

BMFA just sent an email saying if you're in a club go and make more kits and don't turn up...seems logical even if it's classed as a low risk activity.  Boris's comment on making journeys only if necessary seems to have fallen on deaf ears, as the BBC 1pm news has correspondents saying it's fine if someone wants to drive to a secluded spot and exercise.  $%& 

Michael_Rolls

There are bound to be some contradictions until things get sorted - the one that surprises me is that tube trains have been reduced in size and buses reduced in number with the inevitable results we have seem of crowded transport with no change if distancing, when surely the logical thing is the reverse - longer tube trains where possible) and more buses to reduce the risk of overcrowding.
Mike
Properly trained, a man can be a dog's best friend

itsme

On BBC this morning a Government minister was asked the question "Am I allowed to drive half an hour to a country area to then exercise and drive back?" And the answer was yes, of course that is fine. So as our pilots box is a long way from the pit area, (good exercise) then I'm covered. As long as anyone else there stays 2m away, of course. Not sure whether I will, though, but at least nobody can stop me....

lanicopter

I'm sure we all could do many, many things which are technically safe but prohibited at the moment - I guess it's just easier to say "do us all a favour, suck it up for a bit and things will get back to normal a bit more quickly".

That covers everyone and yes it sucks, but then you stop people from asking stupid questions like "But am I allowed to go out if I wear BLUE shoes?" "What about RED ones?" "Can I use a pit canary to warn me of the virus while I walk down the street?". "What about if I'm with my friend Janet - she's healthy and never catches anything?" "What if it's Tuesday?"

No. NO. Just stay indoors and accept what it is for a bit. By far the easiest solution for everyone - it covers all scenarios, ensures safety of everyone and is understandable by even Wetherspoons patrons.

STAY. IN. THE. HOUSE. FOR. A. FEW. WEEKS.
Current fuel status: "Master Caution"

lanicopter

Alternatively you could ask yourself a quick question:

Is $ACTIVITY more important than retaining my ability to breathe?
Is $ACTIVITY more important then my wife/husband/children/grandchildren retaining their ability to breathe?

I think I'll stay indoors to be honest.

PDR

We are indeed in strange and unprecedented times - I am in complete agreement with Lanicopter.

It's THAT serious!

PDR

itsme

There is no doubt that it is serious. But it seems only a section of the community is taking notice. It only takes a bit of care to make yourself and others safe. Go out, touch nothing, run, jog, whatever, keeping 2m from any other person. Hardly risking it. Stay in one room, go slightly mad and take an axe to your nearest and dearest.

lanicopter

Quote from: PDR on March 24, 2020, 19:20:48 pmWe are indeed in strange and unprecedented times - I am in complete agreement with Lanicopter.

It's THAT serious!

PDR

;D

You could be coming down with something...........

itsme

my local club has closed the field. So if I wanted to fly its a 29 mile trip. But much under the circumstances. CAA could not ground us, but this little bugger has!

Brian Cooper

Be very careful when driving your car. You don't want to risk getting. . . Car-Owner Virus.

I'll get my coat. 

paulinfrance

My Brother who lives in Ireland has been limited to a 2 mile radius from his house, so no Paragliding for him,,

lanicopter

What are they going to do? Climb up and give him a ticket? lol

Pat M

Im lucky as in I can stand on my driveway and fly over the fields around me, I live in the middle of nowhere with only a few neighbours.  My local club has closed the flying sites and with the BMFA advice to not go to your club I do wonder how you would stand if the worst occured and an insurance claim needed to be made. Also, another reason not to make unnecessary journeys is that if you did have an accident, or breakdown, then you are causing extra work for an already stretched infrastructure and putting those workers at additional risk.

itsme

the rule about not driving to a place to walk etc annoys me, that has been brought on by idiots looking on it as a holiday and going to the seaside and country beauty spots, and If I go for a walk it has to be from my front door. Go one way it is up the high st, (people) other way its the supermarket, (people) and third road goes to a busy dog walking area. I can get in my car on my drive, go two miles and be in really quiet country. (and one of my flying fields...)

PDR

The rule about not driving comes (I suspect) from the concern that people will collect others on the way - and then take people who were separate before and enclose them in a small metal box breathing eachother's air.

But it does seem to vary from place to place - some are saying that you CAN drive to places for exercise.

PDR

Pat M

I have read different versions of the guidance from different police forces. I know my local one, Norfolk, say that you can drive to take exercise or walk the dog but advise caution against it.

itsme

Avon and Somerset are actively handing out fines for it.