RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

April 09, 2020, 14:31:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

A little mystery item quiz ?

Started by clive_f, March 25, 2020, 14:33:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clive_f

March 25, 2020, 14:33:26 pm Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 14:42:22 pm by clive_f Reason: forgot to add the photos
Ok to stop the collective from getting " Borg"  ( do you get it ? )

Here are some pictures of a mystery engine that was burried in a box of 40 others
All in a similar state of gungy dilapidatedness.

No box , no marking other than a "40"  on one engine lug.

Peculiarities
Carb onto a flat flange with gasket.
All screws are cross head.
Back plate is an all in one that goes partway up the cylinder.

So for those of you that know your stuff out there.

What is it ?
where is it from ?
Is it rare ?

Thanks in advance Clive

meharibear

Without any pictures I would say that is a good description of a Fox 40!  Especially if it is a somewhat more shiny finish than most motors.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

The Saint. (Owen)

Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

clive_f

sorry meharibear i forgot to add them, but have done so now.

so if it is a fox what else can you tell me about it?

when , where,  age,  fame, infamous pile of @@@@, powerful, couldn't take the skin off a rice pudding etc.

thanks to you and Owen for the very quick replies.

clive

PDR

Fox 40"X" - Duke Fox made a special lightweight "36X" for Class B combat (IIRC). He had some strange ideas, and that strange backplate incorporating the transfer port was one of them. The 40 with a throttle was a (not overly successful) attempt to spread the cost of the tooling by making a more mass-appeal motor. Most Fox carbs were flange-mounted and used a strange twin-jet arrangement which had separately-metered idle and main jets. One consequence of this was that you had to set the idle mixture first and only then set the main needle (the opposite of essentially all other engines). Another consequence is that it has a very thick butterfly throttle rather than a barrel. At very high power/revs the flow behind the butterfly went turbulent and choked the intake.

Is it valuable? Probably not. They were always cheap & cheerful engines, although then usually ran well enough.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

PDR

Fox engines often suffered "interrupted" supply. If you dig around in the RC group archives you will find a few references that were quickly suppressed, but the reason is essentially that the proprietor "Duke" Fox did several spells of increasing length for child molesting. The factory would then be run at lower tempo by (IIRC) his son-in-law.

Fox engines have a shiny finish on the main castings because Fox used tumble-polishing rather than heat treatment to stress-relieve the castings. This also meant that they tended to have bent and dented cylinder fins.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

The Saint. (Owen)

Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

PDR

meharibear

I had one of 1970s vintage which I flew RC with.  it was indeed of "modest power" and PDR has described the carb set up and tuning perfectly.  I sold it to Mike Clanford about 10 years ago - got about £25 for it in Px against one of his little Clan engines!!
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.  (Terry Pratchett)

THE BLACKBIRD

They used to be good in control line stunt, very poplar, i never used then i always had mercos in my birds
The man that never made a mistake
Never made anything