RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

May 29, 2020, 11:34:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Multiplex Evo 9 for Handicapped.

Started by paulinfrance, April 25, 2020, 18:29:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

paulinfrance

Hi,
 An older ( 60 ) model plane flyer had a heart attack which left him with the right side of his body paralysed, I suggested either a 3 way button on the right stick (electric throttle ) or a Curtis youngblood single stick system,
is it available is a switch easy to fit on the end of the stick, or maybe even a trigger on the end of the stick ?.

Nothing too difficult as I might be the one doing the modifications,,

Thanks Paul.
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

Charlie C

Paul,

E-mail Neil at: neil.tucker@abinternet.co.uk.

He has a similar issue and has had a Multiplex
set adapted for his own use.

Hope that helps.

Charlie C

Global Moderator

paulinfrance

Quote from: Charlie C on April 25, 2020, 21:24:01 pmPaul,

E-mail Neil at: neil.tucker@abinternet.co.uk.

He has a similar issue and has had a Multiplex
set adapted for his own use.

Hope that helps.

Charlie C

Thanks but the addressee come back as it does not exist ,,

FrankS

April 26, 2020, 08:23:25 am #3 Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:32:58 am by FrankS
Paul, Sorry I don't have Neils address, but try leaving the "a" out, but he had his Profi converted by Mike Ridley at Model Radio Workshops https://modelradioworkshop.co.uk/ who does such conversions. Here's a pic of Niels Tx modified for one hand use.Neil Profi.jpg

paulinfrance

Yes thanks, it looks like he has fitted a potentiometer on the end of the  stick, I could manage that,
What is looking at is left stick, ailerons coupled with rudder but I can't see him managing a normal flight with that set up and elevator on the same stick, i think he needs a switch to cancel the mix,  and a 3 position switch for the electric motor or trigger ( not the fools and horses one ) .

Phil_G

April 26, 2020, 13:00:36 pm #5 Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 13:12:49 pm by Phil_G
I did a couple of small one-hand transmitters, rudder/elevator/throttle, one used a game joystick (cheap as chips off ebay)
Left/right/up/down as you expect then throttle is 3 position by pressing the joystick in.
The other is a Futaba joystick with a separate pushbutton for throttle.
Depends if he wants a 'full-house' radio I spose.
http://mode-zero.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=650
and
http://mode-zero.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=777&p=6208&hilit=repost%3A#p6208
They both use my standard 2+1 encoder board which I'll supply FOC if it suits.  You'd need to case it & wire it up (easy peasy)
Cheers
Phil

paulinfrance

The other option is a pan and tilt system,

But 'If' I had the knowledge and knowhow, $%&  a game joystick would be the best bet, trigger for the throttle, and turning the stick for the rudder.

paulinfrance

I will try and find an old gaming joystick, and wire it up to an old tx, or on my Buddy lead on my old Futaba FC-18joystick.jpg

FrankS

Quote from: paulinfrance on April 26, 2020, 09:01:56 amYes thanks, it looks like he has fitted a potentiometer on the end of the  stick, I could manage that,
What is looking at is left stick, ailerons coupled with rudder but I can't see him managing a normal flight with that set up and elevator on the same stick, i think he needs a switch to cancel the mix,  and a 3 position switch for the electric motor or trigger ( not the fools and horses one ) .

On the Royal Pro you could set it to mode 3 which would put aileron, elevator on the left stick, wire the stick potentiometer up to the rudder channel and then specify whatever control you want for throttle (or add a side pot) On Neils radio the side slider has a ring added so he can control throttle with his finger while having 3 axis control on the stick. So on a Royal Pro as well as a potentiometer on the end of the stick a slider on the side for throttle would also be useful. Radio programming would still allow the trims to all work as normal. But easy enough to do an aileron-rudder mix on a Royal Pro, if you used flight phases then you could have different settings for each flight phase.

On one of Neils planes he was having fun taxying it back after flight, so we devised a taxi mode, this moves the elevator to full up, changes side to side movement on the stick to drive rudder instead of ailerons and makes moving the main stick up operate throttle (with a limit on max throttle).

paulinfrance

I got the Joystick yesterday, no answers about linking up with the Buddy box lead, bit a member of the club is giving me an old 6 channel radio that I sold him 25 years ago, I think it was a Europa, so I will set that up, a shame for beginners as the buddy box with my old Futaba FC-18 would have been better.

paulinfrance

Bugger, he threw it away a week ago, the Buddy box lead runs on a ppm signal so that's dead, so only way put ( easy ) is a Futaba 4/6channel Tx

unless I can get the b***y Rcsystem easycopter V2 radio to run a Futaba receiver,,

PDR

Not sure what you're trying to do Paul. EBay is full of old Futaba-buddy-box-capable transmitters for peanuts, even in the occupied territories over the channel. If you're not after buddy-box capabilioty then if you can find a transmitter with a JR-compatible module bay you can fit either an Orange DSM2/DSMX module and use cheap Orange receivers, a FrSky module and use Frsky Receivers, or a Jumper Multi-protocol module (switched version) and use DSM, Frsky, Futaba and many other brands of receiver. None of these require any messing with the Tx internals.

If you're happy to do a bit of soldering you can fit either an Orange DIY module (DSM2/X receivers or a FrSky DIY module and use FrSky receivers.

Lots of options - what are you actually trying to do?

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

Thanks, but as I have time in my hands :''  and both Futaba radios,the Buddy box systems with square and round plugs and the cable, it would be fun to cannibalise one and fit it into the joystick, furthermore FPV flying like a real plane with the goggles,
 I sold 100's of them locally to my customers, there must be at least one about,,  ^-^

Ps; I was Promised a Futaba Attack 4 on AM this afternoon at the club wait and see.

paulinfrance

Thanks to a few old customers and friends, I now have a Skysport 4 and a T6 exa,,

Down to work,,,

paulinfrance

No mean feat, all is wired up and tested only job left is get the Tx gear in the bottom,, :af Joystick nearly done.jpg

It will be used 'on it's own' and if needed with the Buddy box.

paulinfrance

All done, the Tx battery was awkward to fit inside and as it will probably be used on double, the 'professors' radio will be feeding it with that electricity stuff, ::)  I have put a Futaba plug on the outside for when I want to use it on it's own, :study:  now to dig out one of those 'unwanted' electric things to try it out,, ;) Joystick finished 1.jpgJoystick finished 2.jpg

lanicopter

Well done - why is it on 35MHz though, surely a 2.4GHz system would have been much easier to integrate?
Current fuel status: "Master Caution"

paulinfrance

41 MHz, I got two 6 exa and a skysport 4 given to me on 41mhz, and I have around 10 spare Rx's on 41,I also have a 6 exa on 2.4 giga, which is for drone and eleccy garden EPP toys that I use to exercise my dog in the garden.use, I will probably start with one of them.

paulinfrance

May 19, 2020, 13:21:54 pm #18 Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 16:46:09 pm by paulinfrance Reason: switches,,,,
Bloody headache,
It works with a Futaba 6 EXA  on 41 and on my FX-30 on 2.4 but not on my 6 EX on 2.4, it has to switch but won't work, and my 6 EX HP has no switch, still with half a dozen warbirds on my FX-30 and a FPV helmet all I need now for video game fun is another 5.8tx and camera,,  :af

paulinfrance

Thanks Hobbico, Reading the English instructions now my 6EX on 2.4 works,, bloody French instructions are crap,,

FrankS

Paul, might not be related but we bought a few Futaba 6EX 2.4 GHz txs for the club trainers and found we couldn't buddy them together, turns out they were faulty we got them replaced. The Txs worked on their own but we couldn't buddy them together.

paulinfrance

It's in the instructions,  Acro - HL - Trainer - activate,, Page 15
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6ex-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

Page 33 oh dear, :embarassed:  "don't use the square to round plug" on 2.4 systems,, , but that's exactly what I want to do, so I will designate a volunteer in case it crashes :'' T6ex trainer.pngT6ex 2.4 oh dear,,.png,,

paulinfrance

Horizon Hobby were right, :-\   although the European Futaba importer said it would be OK it wasn't :banghead:  a total loss on the Skysport stick at 50 metres and toggling back to my T6EX didn't do anything it just went in full chat,, I tested it, or what was left thanks to the long grass and all worked servos and motor, so in the week on another plane with my T6EXA on 41mhz. :study:

paulinfrance

Back to the drawing board,, :af ,

I finally programmed my FX-30 as it has so many advantages when swapping planes, I don't have to reverse tne switches on the ( skysport ) joystick, and I can give the joystick a 30/40% or whatever dual rate whereas the skysport only goes 100% whatever other radio is on it or what rates are programmed, :-\  One flight of my small EPP plane and two with my Bipim, the 'Pilot' had the visor on and the joystick gave him the same impression of a video game ( camera installed )
  A couple more adjustments to the planes as the joystick does not have trims on it and it will be in service. :co