October 31, 2020, 21:28:43 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

October 31, 2020, 21:28:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Saito 82 B

Started by Gaspin, June 04, 2020, 12:03:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaspin

Close to purchasing a Saito 82 B glow engine, any pros or cons known for this engine ??

The Saint. (Owen)

I've never heard any 'cons' about Saito engines.  :)
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

British Victory

They vibrate significantly more than the similarly sized OS, I sold mine ( 3 of them) on as the big ends seized on two of them which was a disappointment. Apart from that nowt wrong with them.
If you look at http://www.macgregor.co.uk/saito/sai82a10a.htm you can see neither end of the conrod is bushed.
I have to say that the two 125s and 2 62s I had (sold all bar 1 x 62) didn't have the same problem.
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

paulinfrance

OMG !, I have  3 x .45 specials one std .45, a .120 and an FG-30 ( petrol 180 )
the .45's have been running for around 30+ years, two re-ringed the others 'for ages' and nothing wrong with them  with exception of the FG-30 with the 'bubble problem', they are fantastic engines,
Mode 2 THE only way to fly

PDR

Quote from: paulinfrance on June 04, 2020, 16:29:51 pmthe .45's have been running for around 30+ years

They must have HUGE fuel tanks...

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

Quote from: PDR on June 04, 2020, 18:51:44 pmThey must have HUGE fuel tanks...

PDR

They have been pushing oil tankers around,, and still are ! :''

British Victory

Quote from: paulinfrance on June 04, 2020, 16:29:51 pmOMG !, I have  3 x .45 specials one std .45, a .120 and an FG-30 ( petrol 180 )
the .45's have been running for around 30+ years, two re-ringed the others 'for ages' and nothing wrong with them  with exception of the FG-30 with the 'bubble problem', they are fantastic engines,
But they aren't 82Bs, with all due respect if you haven't had them how can you possibly comment? Having 30 odd year old engines from the same maker and a couple of thousand posts on a moribund forum doesn't give you the experience of shelling out cash for several engines of the ilk the OP wanted info on and having them self destruct before your eyes.
I have one 62 and one 82b left and they are running ok right now but there is no way that I would fix them to a half decent airframe.
My OS 4 strokes have never been any trouble provided the O rings on the carbs are renewed every "few" years on the larger ones, the 3 x 26S, 40, and 40S (all bought new) go on for ever. Same with the YS I've had. I also have had half a dozen lasers, some of which I sold to fund the Saitos, big mistake, fortunately I have a 70, 80 and 100 left which are plodding on.
there's only one f in RCMF,
               John

FlyinBrian

Quote from: British Victory on June 05, 2020, 07:13:17 amBut they aren't 82Bs, with all due respect if you haven't had them how can you possibly comment? Having 30 odd year old engines from the same maker and a couple of thousand posts on a moribund forum doesn't give you the experience of shelling out cash for several engines of the ilk the OP wanted info on and having them self destruct before your eyes.
I have one 62 and one 82b left and they are running ok right now but there is no way that I would fix them to a half decent airframe.
My OS 4 strokes have never been any trouble provided the O rings on the carbs are renewed every "few" years on the larger ones, the 3 x 26S, 40, and 40S (all bought new) go on for ever. Same with the YS I've had. I also have had half a dozen lasers, some of which I sold to fund the Saitos, big mistake, fortunately I have a 70, 80 and 100 left which are plodding on.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhh - Handbags at dawn. At the risk of sounding like a mod, which I stress I am not!

Opinions and experiences differ chaps, respect each others views and opinions.
We can not know under what circumstances other people use equipment, two people may well fuel, prop and use an engine in differing environments. I have never owned a Saito but in MY OPINION as a modeller with fifty years + experience Saitos that I have seen used by club members and at various meets and shows seem to run well. As do my OS, ASP and SC engines.
Basic Research is what I do - when I don't know what I'm doing!.

paulinfrance

Quote from: FlyinBrian on June 05, 2020, 07:52:35 amOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhh - Handbags at dawn. At the risk of sounding like a mod, which I stress I am not!

Opinions and experiences differ chaps, respect each others views and opinions.
We can not know under what circumstances other people use equipment, two people may well fuel, prop and use an engine in differing environments. I have never owned a Saito but in MY OPINION as a modeller with fifty years + experience Saitos that I have seen used by club members and at various meets and shows seem to run well. As do my OS, ASP and SC engines.

Yes you are right, there is always someone who does not know how to run an engine, :''  I have lots of second hand 'non runners' ^-^  got for a song that never seem to stop,,  ;)

as for BV I do read up before posting on other sites  :banghead: saito 82b.png

PDR

A strictly personal view - £250 is a heck of a lot to spend on an IC motor, plus the extortionate price of fuel these days, so I'd be looking more at gettinga 6-8s electric setup that would do the same thing without the noise, mess and faffing.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

paulinfrance

Quote from: PDR on June 05, 2020, 12:09:47 pmA strictly personal view - £250 is a heck of a lot to spend on an IC motor, plus the extortionate price of fuel these days, so I'd be looking more at gettinga 6-8s electric setup that would do the same thing without the noise, mess and faffing.

PDR

Your " faffing' replaces the 4 stroke sound ?. :D

PDR

June 05, 2020, 13:25:20 pm #11 Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 18:40:47 pm by PDR
The "fourstoke sound" presumably being that flatulent cat impression that exudes from such contraptions - nothing like the clean, clear music of a proper two-stroke above 26,000rpm...

PDR

Gaspin

Thanks, all noted; not going electric yet. Probably go ahead and buy one and try not to think too much about unbushed conrod bearings.

frank

June 10, 2020, 09:55:07 am #13 Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:59:55 am by frank
Currently running 16 Saito Glow motors in models From 30-125, have been a Saito fan for many years and have never had a conrod problem and I run 10% total oil in the fuel (Model technics Dynaglo 5).

Have three 82's and yes they vibrate a bit more than the old 72 (very sweet motor) but they do make a lot of power, don't be fooled into over propping these they like to rev, just look at the bore to stroke ratio, they are very "oversquare" with large bore and short stroke. One of mine is in an old Irvine Wild Card 3D on a 13X4W APC prop, it will pull 12,000rpm on full throttle static ! Mind you the only time I used full power on this model is going vertical.

My advice is go for it you'll love it !

Gaspin

Fortunately I read the data sheet before buying and realised it won't fit in the cowl. So its back to my trusty OS 55 2 stroke; powerful but a little noisy, need to find an in-cowl silencer, which works. Model is an old Marutaka Staggerwing with fixed timber bearers for an upright engine, so not many variables without massive cut-outs.

paulinfrance

Quote from: Gaspin on June 12, 2020, 08:29:23 amFortunately I read the data sheet before buying and realised it won't fit in the cowl. So its back to my trusty OS 55 2 stroke; powerful but a little noisy, need to find an in-cowl silencer, which works. Model is an old Marutaka Staggerwing with fixed timber bearers for an upright engine, so not many variables without massive cut-outs.

So will take take 50€ for it ?. :study:

Gaspin

Depends how many jars of Marmite go with that offer!!!

paulinfrance

Quote from: Gaspin on June 13, 2020, 08:18:46 amDepends how many jars of Marmite go with that offer!!
a Jar of marmite and a 5cc metal door stop ?.