October 21, 2020, 17:53:51 pm

RCMF Donations

Enjoy using RCMF? How about a wee donation to help us keep you in the style to which you've become accustomed?

Welcome to RCMF. Please login or sign up.

October 21, 2020, 17:53:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

FM Rx antenna routing

Started by Erez, October 17, 2020, 07:54:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Erez

A bit of a basic question here:

I'm routing an old FM Rx antenna wire outside the model, towards the tip of the stab (because routing to the top of the fin isn't practical due to a full chord rudder balance tab at the top of the vertical tail).

There's about a 6" length of antenna remaining beyond the attachment point - should I leave it dangling free in the wind or is it better to make a 90 degree turn and tension it towards a point on the fin L.E.?
(Avoided routing inside the fuselage due to having 3 metal pushrods there).

PDR

Leave it dangling un;ess there's a specific reason not to

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

mart49

In addition to PDR's comment it is not a good idea to fold it back on itself as this effectively shortens/detunes the antenna to some extent giving rise to a potential range issue.

The Saint. (Owen)

I've (and others in my club) just leave it dangling because it won't harm anything.  :af
Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.

PDR

Quote from: The Saint. (Owen) on October 17, 2020, 13:05:37 pmI've (and others in my club) just leave it dangling because it won't harm anything.  :af

Well non-aggressive dangly bits tends to be a problem at your age. I gether they offer pills that can help.

But the OP was talking about antennas.

PDR
There are no shortcuts on the long, hard road to success. But if your dad's rich there could a limo service...

The Saint. (Owen)

Electrickery is the work of the devil.
Proper aeroplanes are powered by engines.